2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 540 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 539 540
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Sonatine Colllection 1 followed with scribbles known as the Chinese language, haha.

It's a local publishing company that threw a whole bunch of Sonatines into one and sells it for real cheap

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
A nice collection is the Clementi Op 36 - there are 6 sonatine. I'm working on the first one.
There are a number of editions - Amazon has some which also have CDs.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
That along with the fact that we played sight-reading duets for an hour and a half (after the lesson), just for the fun of it!!!
How fun! I wish I had someone I could do that with.

Originally Posted by tranquillo
Practicing faithfully on piano assignments, then being able to follow that with songs played for pure enjoyment. The evening comes, I am still playing, the sun sets, the stars come out and quietness descends making tone production more clarified and rewarding. I am learning more and more how to gain sought after sounds.
Ahhh. You are inspirational!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
CebuKid,

If you go to the sheetmusicplus site and seach under piano, sonatina, you will find several different collections. The Fabers have two albums at what looks like early intermediate/intermediate level.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
If you want lotsa sonatinas for sight reading, perhaps you should check out this offering from CDSheetMusic:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Piano-Sonatinas-And-Standard-Study-Works-Version-2-0/7868051

Here's the contents:
http://www.cdsheetmusic.com/products/disk_contents.cfm?product=17

SheetMusicPlus has a 20% off sale on all their CD Sheet Music until August 4th.

Last edited by tangleweeds; 07/29/10 02:44 PM.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Today my teacher told me she was very impressed with my dedication and how well I took note of correcting technique (specifically in my case hand and arm position and relaxation)

She said I was a wonderful student! Made my day.

That along with the fact that we played sight-reading duets for an hour and a half (after the lesson), just for the fun of it!!!
I played my first Mendleson piece today.

It's spelled Mendelssohn, dear. :P
But in all seriousness, it amazes me how fast you seem to progress! What piece was it that you started?

Originally Posted by tangleweeds
If you want lotsa sonatinas for sight reading, perhaps you should check out this offering from CDSheetMusic:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Piano-Sonatinas-And-Standard-Study-Works-Version-2-0/7868051

You sightread that stuff? O_O
I've been busting my ass over that stuff for hours, haha! That's pretty amazing, give yourself a pat on the back!
How long have you been playing?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
P-Rex, thanks for the spelling correction - that's what I get for rushing and not checking! lol....

I will have to check the name of the piece we played - she kept pulling them out and we just kept plugging away at them. It was a charming piece - we're meeting tomorrow and I'll write it down.

Things have started to come together in the last few weeks. Of course everything is relative, but I definitely can feel a change in what I'm able to do, it is very exciting!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It really is a good thing to be able to find the positive in everything we do.

I am pleased with the fact that I don't get as anxious as I used to when I go to my lessons. I am also much less critical/self defeating. Now I can practice without beating myself up over every little thing. Because of this I think I am making better progress than I have in the past. My reading is getting better as well.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Getting a recording for the piano bar that I was happy enough with on take #1. It's not perfect (but what is) and I covered a big flub nicely I think (not going to say what it is!!).

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
The MendelsSOHN duet I played with my teacher is OP 62 N. 1
It is peculiar in that the "primo" part - the easy one - is mostly only right hand until the end.

This week my achievement was that for the first time ever I played something better during the lesson than at home! woohoo!

Kymber - that sounds like great progress!
Andy - how nice you were able to cover up your "flub"..... smile I won't even bother listening for it !

(edited to add: I've just listened to your piece - lovely!!!!!! You have a really nice touch, and your playing is really even and steady. I'm inspired to put that piece on my "must learn"list! May I ask when you started plyaying? )

Isn't it stressful recording? Worse than playing in front of people because any mistake you make is always going to be there! argh!!

I'm hoping I'll have my piece in shape before the 15th to submit for the August recital. I dropped the Vinciguerra I was working on as I realized I was never going to get it anywhere near the right speed for August.

[Linked Image]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Andy - how nice you were able to cover up your "flub"..... smile I won't even bother listening for it !

(edited to add: I've just listened to your piece - lovely!!!!!! You have a really nice touch, and your playing is really even and steady. I'm inspired to put that piece on my "must learn"list! May I ask when you started plyaying? )

Thanks! I was self-taught as a teen (though I did take classical flute lessons and theory) but mostly just took guitar chords and melody lines and played piano with those. I started lessons with a teacher to play classical piano in May. I've learnt not to be embarassed about that question - although I've played for more than 20 years, I really never "learnt".

Kawai K3

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

Thanks! I was self-taught as a teen (though I did take classical flute lessons and theory) but mostly just took guitar chords and melody lines and played piano with those. I started lessons with a teacher to play classical piano in May. I've learnt not to be embarassed about that question - although I've played for more than 20 years, I really never "learnt".

I had to read that twice - first time through I focussed on the fact that you started in May and gasped, thinking you must be a ruddy genius!....... Then I finished the sentence - whew- you're definitely good, but I'm not quite so intimidated now - and I'm still inspired! Complimenti again!

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ok this weekI seem to have made a bit of a breakthrough in getting rid of some tension in my arms.
I've been playing around with position and found that my moving slightly farther AWAY from the keys, I seem to have a more natural "fall" onto them, which is much more relaxed.
I had tried this before in the past, but always felt I was too distant and kept creeping back.

I'm also pleased to note that I'm definitely making progress in terms of "getting the hang" of my pieces. I can see that my fingers are learning where to go with a lot more fluidity and somethings are just .......easier to do. I also think I'm practising better, more productively.
It is most gratifying.

[Linked Image]

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I currently have a 'sight-reading' bug... So my achievement this week was to practice 7/7 days, sight-reading pieces & exercises for the first 15 minutes or so.

I'm using "beginner" pieces from Pianist Magazine (but many of these seem to be level 2 to 3ish (although they do have some easier 'for starters' pieces but not in every issue).

Apparently to improve you need to practice sight-reading with material that you can read 95% fluently. So for some 'easy peasy' material I dug out my very first book from my very first lesson (this is so old it cost 3 shillings). I sight read through that this week. Off course, this was very very easy and sight-reading it was a doddle and I played each piece pefectly! blush Well perhaps not! It did show me how pants I am at this. This was a very curious experience, I vaguely remember doing it the first time all those decades ago (queue wavy line moment).

So I decided to get some sight-reading method books and start working through them from the beginning...

There's a lot of series available on Amazon, but in the end settled for ordering a bunch of material from the local public library. I just got back from collecting them. Although I only ordered book 1 of each series, the whole set of one came bound in a hard cover. So effectively I've got 12 or so method books in total for £0.00.

So my final 'achievement' was finding out that the public library is an amazing resource for method books and collections of graded pieces.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by EJR
So my final 'achievement' was finding out that the public library is an amazing resource for method books and collections of graded pieces.

You're lucky! I'll take another look at ours but I'm pretty sure there's no method books.

Kawai K3
E
E
Hmm, I'll have to have a look in the library again. I couldn't see anything last time I checked though.
It may not be the best idea, but I use Bach Preludes for sight reading practice, which is certainly helping, I am getting a lot better at it.

My 'big' achievement is bars 37-50 of 'Pathetique' mvt.2. Granted I can't play it up to speed, but I can at least get through it now.

Repertoire:
Complete:
Beethoven- Op 27/2 'Moonlight' Mvt.1
Beethoven - Op 13 'Pathetique' Mvt.2
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by EJR

You're lucky! I'll take another look at ours but I'm pretty sure there's no method books.

The trick for me was searching the library catalogues online. The one I go to is part of a very large network. Several were in a branch 80 or so miles away but turned up in a couple of days.

I just finished working through the first (Sight-Reading for Fun, Vol 1:Preliminary by Peter Lawson). I could do this one. grin

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Our library has an irritating tendency to be missing the first couple of books of the great majority of its methods (lots of volumes 3, 4, & 5...). :phooey: Since my actual playing level is still late elementary, my sight-reading level is pretty low.

But I've been on a sight reading kick too. My accomplishment of the week is that I've figured out how to alleviate the tedium of sight-reading beginner material in the key of C (G or F if we're getting adventurous) -- sight read it transposed into other keys! It adds a little spice to playing London Bridge... :rolleyes:

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by EJR
The trick for me was searching the library catalogues online. The one I go to is part of a very large network. Several were in a branch 80 or so miles away but turned up in a couple of days.

Unfortunately I live in the smallest (geographically) county in the US (though it has a really great library system). However, there is World Cat and that says the nearest library that has that sight reading book is ... Ottawa!

Actually I did a bunch of other searches and there are some basic primers that should provide good material in my local library. I'll check them out (pun not intended).

Kawai K3
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I was away on holiday last week, but my big achievement was sitting down at my cousin's piano & playing a few pieces from memory, & with other people in the room. They weren't sitting listening or anything, but they were there & I managed to ignore them.

My cousin, btw, is 83 & still an excellent pianist. Played in a few jazz bands when he was in university, many decades ago. I hadn't had a chance to listen to him in ages.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 540 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission