2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Bech Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Victor25
@Bech So now its: 1. You either think Lang Lang is great, or 2. you are some person who doesn't listen well....? How about listening to him, and still not think he is good (or world class, might be a better word)? I listened to him enough, I have been to a performance of him, and I don't like his playing. Sue me smile

Victor, I'll have to admit my choice of words for this subject are inclined toward "stirring the pot" a bit.

Due to lack of experience I cannot say my opinion of Lang Lang is valid. All I can do is judge with what I have to judge with at this time.

Listening to music relates to what the philosopher Henry David Thoreau once said. He said something like: "The works of the great philosophers cannot be read except by other great philosophers." That is read and fully understood. No doubt there is much "detail" in a pianist's performance that I am totally unaware of.

I simply liked what I heard from Lang Lang's performances and wondered what all the bad mouthing of Lang Lang was about.

Bech

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
M
M
There are a few Lang Lang performances that I have enjoyed, but the majority have been far too 'showy' for my liking, and his facial expressions are almost unbearable. Sometimes it looks like he's even mocking the music.

However, despite these things, I'm not going to bad mouth him as a pianist, because he's a far better player than I am. Too many people give him abuse without the skill to back it up.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr_Lion
There are a few Lang Lang performances that I have enjoyed, but the majority have been far too 'showy' for my liking, and his facial expressions are almost unbearable. Sometimes it looks like he's even mocking the music.

You mean like this...

Looks like he's having a pianogasm in this one. smile

M
M
That's actually one of his most beautiful performances, and his facial expressions aren't vulgar here, he just looks like he's having a wonderful time without being too over-the-top.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree. I just watched the whole thing and enjoyed it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway

There are tons of concert pianists with varying levels, from world class to] state level. Of course, not all of them have major solo career, but all of them have followed the same direction at the beginning of their career. They want to be noted (a well known pianist), just not all of them are successful to be noted. Their intent, however, is the same which is fame, and money will follow. I do not understand why it is so hard for you to see this, it is such an obvious thing.
Your statement assumes you're correct. I would say the opposite is obvious. Saying someone wants to be able to make a living from music is obvious, but that is not the same as saying someone chooses any profession for money and fame.

Who says any profession, we are talking about concert pianist profession. We are talking about LL who is a concert pianist.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

There are tons of concert pianists with varying levels, from world class to] state level. Of course, not all of them have major solo career, but all of them have followed the same direction at the beginning of their career. They want to be noted (a well known pianist), just not all of them are successful to be noted. Their intent, however, is the same which is fame, and money will follow. I do not understand why it is so hard for you to see this, it is such an obvious thing.
Your statement assumes you're correct. I would say the opposite is obvious. Saying someone wants to be able to make a living from music is obvious, but that is not the same as saying someone chooses any profession for money and fame.

Who says any profession, we are talking about concert pianist profession. We are talking about LL who is a concert pianist.
I said that saying someone chooses any profession(meaning including piano)for money and fame is not the same as saying that someone wants to make a living from that profession. The idea that an intelligent person would choose piano as career for reasons of money and fame, when the chances of that happening are well known to be so small, is IMO unreasonable.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/29/10 12:01 PM.
M
M
Exactly, gaining money and fame is a wonderful by-product of a successful career as a concert pianist, but as pianoloverus said, it's not exactly a large market to financially exploit and many people wouldn't make it to that level. In an ideal world, people pick a profession because they love that area and wish to make a living from it, and if success comes from that passion - all the better.

Sadly, we don't live in an ideal world, and people pick professions solely for the money, but choosing a career as a concert pianist purely to make money would be foolish. Therefore, I'd say that all concert pianists (including LL), are there because they love the music. Nothing more.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Someone mentioned how every note in Lang Lang's music is audible and clear. The recording above proves that point!

Just beautiful.

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
B
Bech Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Try: Lang Lang Plays Chopin Grande Polonaise Brillante Op.22

Bech

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Do I have to?

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
B
B
His Don Juan really is something...

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Bech
Due to lack of experience I cannot say my opinion of Lang Lang is valid. All I can do is judge with what I have to judge with at this time.

Say I just discovered cheap and unsophisticated but enjoyable Aussie syrah. I would never dream of going to some wine forum where knowledgeable people were discussing the best vintages of Chateau d'Yquem or Petrus, and start bloviating about how the only thing that mattered was that I liked my new discovery.

wr #1493996 08/12/10 03:54 AM
Z
Z
The first piece I ever heard him play was the Second Hungarian Rhapsody, my favourite piece ever and a source of huge sentiment (I grew up with the Cat Concerto).

My opinion of him cannot be saved. Regardless of his technical ability, which is obvious (I mean, he just rushes through that piece in amazing fashion), I feel the sound is completely butchered. I by far prefer Hamelin's version, which is almost 5 minutes longer.

Some of the other stuff I've heard from him is acceptable, but I just can't get past that awful performance.

From the newer piano players, I'd take Kissin (best Pictures at an Exhibition I've ever heard) or Hamelin, though I've never heard Kissin play the Second Hungarian Rhapsody and Hamelin does have his worse moments.

"Practice makes perfect, but obsession makes better."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The part where all the people start dancing and clapping is the best!!!!!! Lang lang is gonna get so beat up in the afterlife by the composers, ow he's in for it!

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Victor... that's hilarious... thanks for the ha

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
did he have to play a white piano? god ...

Z
Z
Originally Posted by Victor25
The part where all the people start dancing and clapping is the best!!!!!! Lang lang is gonna get so beat up in the afterlife by the composers, ow he's in for it!

Yeah, that was just saddening. Totally in keep with the performance, though. Bad performance, bad audience.

"Practice makes perfect, but obsession makes better."
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
But he brings younger people to his audiences. Maybe some of them will learn to appreciate other performances. Classical music needs a broader audience!

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
i heard lang lang perform an early beethoven sonata and the appassionata at the royal albert hall (and also some prokofiev but i forget what it was) and he finished of with a wonderful encore of chopin etudes and the A flat polonaise. personally i thought he played beautifully, with lots of emotion and in most cases adhering to what i believe is the score (although i haven't memorise the appasionata). i think he's a great pianist and very talented although i don't really agree with his A flat polonaise, but you get that with every pianist.
As to his facial expressions, i don't really pay much attention to what the pianist looks like as its about the music.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission