2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 58 of 119 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 118 119
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Highly admirable, Monica. How about reworking your research interests to include the study of fandom? You could begin this fine line of work by interviewing extensively the fans of Einaudi. Of course, its easier (and arguably more cost effective), if you go to them rather than all of them coming to you for these interviews. Trip justified!!!

Christine

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Ha! Actually, one of my good friends spent her entire sabbatical following U2 on tour, collecting data on queuing behavior. And she got it published, too. thumb

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Did she study cultural differences by chance? I would bet my life that there is no human behavior with a larger amount of cultural variability than queuing behavior.

Christine

[Linked Image]

Not in the first paper. She was focusing on a particular subgroup of U2 fans, e.g., the die-hard fans who follow the band all around and take it upon themselves to "police" the queue and enforce norms about place-holding and break-taking behavior etc. It's pretty much the same group of people at all the shows, so there's not much cultural variability there. But I think she's looking at cultural differences in the other fans in some of her more recent studies.

I made another new Einaudi fan today... we were killing time at a local Guitar Center, waiting to pick my daughter up from a dinner party, and I was noodling around on some of the digitals they had on display. I was playing "I due fiumi" when a young woman came up close and started looking at me intently. I thought she was a potential customer so stopped right away and asked if she wanted to try the piano out. She hastened to tell me that she was enjoying the piece and asked me who did it. I went back to playing and after I was done she had me spell out Einaudi and I due fiumi so she could note it down in her iPhone. smile

...and I talked my dad and step-mom into going to see Einaudi in Seattle even though I couldn't make the trip. I convinced them that they deserve to hear what Einaudi pieces REALLY should sound like instead of being at the mercy of my annual CDs. wink

One thing about trying to sound like the way Einaudi plays on his CDs, I assume he uses some sort of compression or post processing, because there is very little reverb on his recordings, all the notes sound crisp and clean. Unfortunately playing live my piano sounds quite blurry/muddy if I use the pedal (like he does), not crisp. Has anyone else noticed this or am I too fussy :-)

Yamaha DGX-630
Moving slowly through The Piano Handbook...up to Bach Prelude in C Major

Yeah, I sound blurry/muddy too. frown But I suspect it's not just recording engineering. He sounds crisp and clean in concert, too.

Only a few weeks to go until the Milwaukee show! yippie

Hubby, alas, backed out of going with me. Turns out he's got a coin show in St. Louis that weekend and a deal to look at there, and the misguided fool would rather make money than hear Einaudi play live. tsk tsk. So if anybody is wavering about whether to go, I've got an extra ticket in a prime seating location.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Only a few weeks to go until the Milwaukee show! yippie

and not too long till the San Francisco one! Can't bloody wait. Sheryl and I are making it a 2 day trip so that'll be a fun mini vacation thumb
- SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
G
G
Hi. This is just a courtesy visit as I felt after taking all your information (yeah I read all 40 odd pages) I should introduce myself (as you can see I'm more of a reader than a poster given my number of posts).

I've only been playing piano for about two months, currently working through the Alfred method (love that thread too). Having self taught two years of guitar and getting basically nowhere thanks to other commitments and general laziness, I felt I should make a proper effort with another instrument when I found a keyboard at home.

I've already looked into Einaudi but decided not to buy the book until I got more advanced, however when I found this thread I figured I'd pick it up anyway. Anthony and AWtPP inspired me given that they both either slowed down or gave up on Alfred to play some of Einaudi's music. I have a copy of the Nuvole Bianche sheet music on my laptop but I can't print it yet. Given that I hate playing from my laptop I've only given it half an hour or so, but it looks promising for at least the first two pages once I get the bass down.

So the book should be here tomorrow or saturday hopefully and I've thoroughly enjoyed all your recordings and insight. No doubt I'll be looking at Limbo first! Unfortunately because of living arrangements, space and money I'm stuck with an unweighted 61 key keyboard for at least a year, however given my current level I'm just happy to be making music and even with this "toy" and my amateur touch I still think I can get some real enjoyment from this music. And it'll just be all the more sweeter when I get onto a real piano. (My university has a ton of practice rooms with a couple of steinway grands! As soon as I'm back there in a few weeks I'm gonna look into using these a couple of times a month).

I also just found out about his tour but unfortunatly all the venues near me are sold out, so maybe next time.

Anyway, happy playing all, and enjoy the concerts. I'm sure they'll be fantastic.

Giano #1507987 09/02/10 06:54 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
thumb Nice to meet you mate.

Yes Anthony & Monica are terribly good at sending even the mildest of beginners into Einaudi frenzy! Looking forward to your updates.

For me, I have 2 books and I'm hoping to pick up Nightbook a the concert in San Francisco next month. Then I can happily try to learn almost all of them over the next 2-3yrs smile

SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Giano #1508090 09/02/10 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Giano
Hi. This is just a courtesy visit as I felt after taking all your information (yeah I read all 40 odd pages) I should introduce myself (as you can see I'm more of a reader than a poster given my number of posts).

Hi Giano! Welcome to Einaudi addiction. grin

I do hope you can get lots of time in on the practice room pianos at your school, because a 61-note unweighted keyboard is going to get old fast. I'm guessing it doesn't have a sustain pedal, either, and Einaudi's music cries out for pedal. Maybe you can find a cheap used 88-key digital for sale somewhere?

G
G
Originally Posted by Giano

Hi Giano! Welcome to Einaudi addiction. grin

I do hope you can get lots of time in on the practice room pianos at your school, because a 61-note unweighted keyboard is going to get old fast. I'm guessing it doesn't have a sustain pedal, either, and Einaudi's music cries out for pedal. Maybe you can find a cheap used 88-key digital for sale somewhere?

Yeah the lack of pedal is somewhat irritating. The keyboard does have a sustain button, so I can sustain for a whole song if I choose which I hear is ok for Einaudi's pieces. It's not perfect as it can only be on or off (hitting it during a song is hugely awkward) but it'll do.

I've been looking into a cheap 88key but it just isn't practical right now. I've just moved house again (3rd year in a row for different uni accommodation, and I have a really small room in the new house. Not to mention I'm living with 3 other students so i'd rather not put a nice DP in the house knowing it might get broken by someone by accident given the activity in the house.

With that, I know I'm moving back home next June/July. I'm also coming home over christmas and easter and I'd rather not have to move it constantly (otherwise I'd be without it for a month at a time) whereas the one I have is ok to move.

As well as that I'm planning on a gap year next year before finding a full time job, and I might be moving to Australia for up to a year. So you can see this isn't exactly a good time to settle into a nice piano...

So the plan is to just get into the practice rooms as much as possible I guess. I think it's first come first serve for time slots so it should be ok as long as I get straight on it.

Anyway sorry for the life story. On a plus note the book should be here today or tomorrow (Hopefully today, post is in an hour or 2) so I can get right into it in preparation for the practice rooms. I'd hate to have people over hear me sitting down at a grand piano and have nothing to play lol.

Giano #1510214 09/06/10 04:40 PM
G
G
I love this book already. Limbo is memorized but far from perfect, and now I'm working on I Due Fiumi as well.

A quick question though. At around measure 33 or something (the book isn't with me right now) the bass changes to 10ths (F-C-A, G-D-B, A-E-C etc). Do you guys play this as written and swivel on the index finger (playing it 5-2-1) or do you rewrite the chord as C-F-A, D-G-B for example to make it more manageable?

I play those as written, using 5-2-1-2-1-2 for each measure. Yeah, it's a big stretch between the 2 and the 1, but I couldn't think of any other way to play it smoothly at the desired tempo. (Which, I hasten to add, does NOT mean there isn't a better way to play it!! laugh )

G
G
Yeah I'm still trying to decide. I'm still not used to big stretches so I need to look down really. This would be fine if I had the part memorized but I keep losing my place in the sheet music lol. Playing smaller chords (jumping the lowest note up an octave) leaves a lot to be desired as, without the proper bass, it sounds somewhat hollow.

I expect I'll end up playing it as written, it'll just take a lot longer to learn than Limbo did (oh how I miss block chords now...) which was surprisingly easy (this definitely doesn't mean I can play it perfectly though, just that I have it memorized).

rocky #1513407 09/11/10 02:48 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bumping to the top since he's going to be here in Concert VERY soon. Also for anyone else who's played (recorded) Nuvole Biache how are you doing the fingering in the chord sections 2m in?

I've just finished watching Monica's video with crossing fingers. I was discussing this with my teacher who suggested "trying" the open hand kind of span method.

Thus far this hurts like heck too much so I believe I may be opting to get my muscle memory down for the cross-over. I was able to do a little hop with the LH but you can for sure "hear" it even with the pedal (drats) lol..

Of course we're in Oct soon and that means get ready for Xmas stuff but I just can't put this piece down - I love it! thumb
- Steve C

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net

Huh... I can't imagine playing the bass in that section without doing the crossover. confused I'm not even sure what the "open hand span" method is. Are you just shifting your hand down quickly to hit all those notes?

I use that crossover for many other pieces (most recently, the Galloway version of the Canon), so it's not so foreign. But I'd be very interested to hear if there is a more effective way of getting those bass arpeggios done. smile

...and speaking of the concert, I need to go book my hotel room...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Huh... I can't imagine playing the bass in that section without doing the crossover. confused I'm not even sure what the "open hand span" method is. Are you just shifting your hand down quickly to hit all those notes?

I use that crossover for many other pieces (most recently, the Galloway version of the Canon), so it's not so foreign. But I'd be very interested to hear if there is a more effective way of getting those bass arpeggios done. smile

...and speaking of the concert, I need to go book my hotel room...

OK so here goes my very first attempt at writing what I've seen here so many times before (note names etc).

The cross-over(s) kind of go like this..
LH (Crossover)
F-C-F-Ab-F-C 5-2-1-3-5-2 / 5-2-1-3-5-2
Db-Ab-Db-F-Db-Ab 5-2-1-3-5-2 / 5-2-1-3-5-2

LH (Open Span)
F-C-F-Ab-F-C 5-2-1-3-5-2 / 5-2-1-3-5-2 (SAME)
Db-Ab-Db-F-Db-Ab 5-3-2-1-2-3 / 5-3-2-1-2-3

The best thing I could find (picture wise) was a hand spanning like this
[Linked Image]

With the hand open like that (seems like at all times) you are kind of rolling left-right. As I said, after trying this for a few mins my forearm, wrist & hand were hurting so I opted to drop this.

(Steve's previous crazy hop)
F-C-F-Ab-F-C 5-2-1-3-5-2 / 5-2-1-3-5-2 (SAME)
Db-Ab-Db-F-Db-Ab 5-2-1-1-2-4 / 5-2-1-1-2-4

This felt MUCH better and way more accurate than the cross-over. But alas as my teacher pointed out, you could really hear the hop. Well it wasn't bad but it was for sure there..

So it would seem its a true "Suck it up Steve" and get mastering the crossover.. thumb
- SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net

Hmmm... that's not the fingering I use. I do 5-2-1-2-1-2 for the F-C-F-Ab-F-C etc. (p. 88, bottom line, first measure. I basically pivot my hand over the thumb and leave the thumb pretty much where it is on the F the whole time.

Page 58 of 119 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 118 119

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission