2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#1482849 07/27/10 11:11 PM
B
Bech Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Quite some time ago I experienced Lang Lang on YouTube. At that time I'd had little experience with other classical pianists.

Well....tonight I once again watched and listened to him play on YouTube. Liszt "Don Juan 2" and Chopin's Valse Brilliante.

Holy Cow! This guy can play. I have never heard such precise separation between notes when played fast.

What's with all the bad mouthing that I read about him? I go by what I hear and not by what others say.

Bech

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
It's not the technical capacity that annoys us, it's the use of it and the lack of emotional control that drives us to dislike him, at least it does for me. Though I think he's reformed it the last couple of years though I haven't keep up.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I like listening to him. I just can't stand looking at his face while he's playing. Totally distracting. I have to minimize the screen when listening to him on youtube.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
How could I forget, no really how could I. I'll never forget the videos of him butchering the Rachmaninoff 3rd and looking like an inspired food doing it.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
The bad mouthing is from all his cornball mugging that he does while he plays. Personally, I don't think it's any more ridiculous than Kissin.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Find the score of a piece (Urtext edition) and follow along with Lang Lang's playing, and see how close he follows it, how stylistically correct he plays, etc...

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
In the words of an exhausted Rachmaninoff: Oh, must I. Who knows maybe I'll become a Lang Lang Fanatic and listen to his whole discography.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I just think he's a little uneven. Sometimes he plays very well and I like his playing quite a bit.

But sometimes, he goes overboard and runs the risk of being a little "donuts for dinner" - it's exciting in the moment, but afterward, you feel a little overstuffed and unfulfilled at the same time.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Wasn't it worse earlier in his career or am I just that out of the loop?

L
L
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Find the score of a piece (Urtext edition) and follow along with Lang Lang's playing, and see how close he follows it, how stylistically correct he plays, etc...

Exactly. He sounds good to the untrained ear and/or uneducated musician (not all pieces, but most I've heard.)

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
*slaps forehead and drags hand down face at sudden epiphany* Am I really so self centered that I forgot that my comments are only minor comments in the big picture of opinions that were trying to give the poster.

B
Bech Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Appears I touched on a sensitive subject with Lang Lang. Good.

During the past hour I've been reading about his struggle to make it in the concert pianists world. Inspiring. Read that Steinway even markets a specially branded Lang Lang piano. The only name-branded instrument they have ever made. Now, why would such a respected and knowledgeable company as Steinway do this? The only reason I can think of is because Lang Lang is a very exceptional pianist. Sure there's a commercial side to this but I trust their integrity and their judgement.

I'm just getting started with Lang Lang. I sure like what I hear so far and I don't mind his expressions at all. Must classical music stamp out all individuality for the sake of the composers? Of course not.

No matter who likes him or who dislikes him--I really like what I see and hear in his playing. Like a machine on a machine but with great dynamics and precise, clean playing.

I'm beginning to wonder if he doesn't know how to mike a piano better than most. Great, quality sound with several of his performances. I really love a quality piano sound.

Bech

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Personally I am a L-L fan. I find his playing very good.

He is a person I believe who can reach out to younger kids and bring them into the classical world through modern details. L-L seems to appeal to my generation far more than the older generation.

9 times out of 10 if I ask someone who Horowitz, Borge, Kissin, etc, not a single person in my school will recognize the name.

Now If I ask em who lang lang is, at least 1/2 of them know of him.

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
AHH I may stay off Piano World for a good WEEK or two!!! Or at least out of the Pianist Corner. I'm very scared of what the classical music radical-conservatives (and even moderate-conservatives) will say!!

I'm moderately conservative with classical music too, but I learned LONG ago that I should let my Lang Lang opinions just stay in my mind and not worry too much about them.

I WILL however, say this: If Lang Lang brings you joy, okay. I encourage you to still listen to other more traditional/orthodox classical pianists, though.

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 07/28/10 12:28 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If you want originality get acquainted with Rachmaninoff, Jozef Hoffman, Paderewski, any any other pianist of the old school. They were all very original yet restrained and even more personal that Lang Lang.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MikeN
If you want originality get acquainted with Rachmaninoff, Jozef Hoffman, Paderewski, any any other pianist of the old school. They were all very original yet restrained and even more personal that Lang Lang.

Yea but they are OLD! :P

**Ducks and sprints**

Last edited by Brandon_W_T; 07/28/10 12:29 AM.

Hailun HU7P

Conn 652 theater organ
1880s karn pump organ
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Alright have it you way, but don't forget these comments as you may yet see purpose at a latter date. If you don't it doesn't matter as you still enjoying the music.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
lol I was joking. I LOVE Horowitz, Rach, yea kinda Pade-not-going-to-attempt-to-spell-it as well.

Hailun HU7P

Conn 652 theater organ
1880s karn pump organ
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I think he 's very good sometimes. There are also some forgettable moments from him on youtube too.

As for his story ... i am sure his case is not unique in China. But think of what Rachmaninoff, Richter, Horowitz, Friedman had to go through in their lives.

At the end of the day , he can turn out to be a great pianist, but there are young pianists that i think have already proved they re on a higher level than Lang Lang ... thinking of Blechacz for a start

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do you people torture me? Do some create member names just so they can start a Lang thread and send stores to the loony bin before he hits 50?
I'm not going to bother going into why I don't like LL, or what is wrong with him, but I do want to address one point the original poster made above and that's about Steinway slapping Lang's name on one of their pianos. It's not about Lang being such an exceptional pianist. If it were then we'd have had "the Horowitz" model long ago. It's about DOLLARS!!! Marketability (is that a word?) He sells, because in a media driven world he is who the media calls "the man."
The OP then goes on to say "I'm beginning to wonder if he doesn't know how to mike a piano better than most." Insert rolled eyes here please. I'm sorry, but Lang has nothing to do with the mike placement on his recordings (give the engineers some credit). I realise it's a small point, but let's not give the fool more credit than he deserves.
If you're so in love with him then go vote for him as Gramophone Artist of the Year, attend a recital, buy a recording, but please don't tell me about his hard fought struggle to the concert stage (as if every other concert pianist just steps out onto the stage and VOILA).
Some day I WILL attend a Lang recital (pull your collective jaws off the floor) and I'll even get in the autograph line afterward, but only so that I can have a chat with him and I'll have no problem frankly asking him...why? Other than the obvious (meaning dollars)...why?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission