2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Call me crazy, but I am really not that into Mozart. If music can be compared to visual arts, Mozart's music seems like wallpaper to me. Yeah, it is nice, structured, everything fits together perfectly, no harsh sounds, nothing out of place...but really, I could say that about the wallpaper in my bathroom. His music doesn't move me. In fact, I find it rather...(dare I say it?) boring.

Does anyone feel the same way? Anyone feel like bashing me over the head with a baseball bat?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I think Romantic and 20th century music is generally more appealing to teenagers. Just an opinion.

No big deal if you don't like a particular composer now or even later.

Try these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE2muDZksP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvHN3fKUco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxcjxN0rPzs

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/27/10 08:35 PM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
Anyone feel like bashing me over the head with a baseball bat?
I'm not a violent person, so, no. smile
But do yourself a favour. Go and see a really good performance of The Marriage of Figaro.

Du holde Kunst...
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think Romantic and 29th century music is generally more appealing to teenagers. Just an opinion.

Hmm, typo or sarcasm?

Anyway, I was always more moved by his orchestral works than his piano works.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think Romantic and 29th century music is generally more appealing to teenagers. Just an opinion.

I think you have a point there. But I also love Baroque music, and even Haydn. I don't know...for me Mozart is so formal he totally leaves out all vestiges of life.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
I'm not a violent person, so, no. smile
But do yourself a favour. Go and see a really good performance of The Marriage of Figaro.

Ok, I will if I ever have the chance.

(Of course I thought I should point out that I am generalizing a bit)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
In fact, I find it rather...(dare I say it?) boring... Does anyone feel the same way?

I used to feel the same way. I described my conversion in a thread several months back; here's what I said:

For what it's worth... I used to feel a little similar. There was some Mozart I loved (the A minor sonata's first movement, the K.414 concerto's last movement, the Requiem). But by and large, I found a lot of Mozart to be boring, partly because I didn't think the compositions had enough individual character. Whereas every Beethoven sonata had its own unique personality, all of the Mozart sonatas tended to blend into each other.

But do keep an open mind. Mozart suddenly changed for me, one day four years ago when it just all clicked. I felt like I'd been using the wrong criteria. Instead of criticizing a lack of bold ideas that would have given these pieces the individual character I thought was missing, I was able to experience, for the first time, that simple flow and beauty which unifies all his music. To use a random Tolkien reference, I started viewing Mozart's pieces like elves: deep and graceful, but not necessarily well-developed individually, their depth coming from something collective. Whereas Beethoven's sonatas are like 32 distinct eccentric geniuses.

-J

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
(WA is not a teenager.)

But you're right.

I like listening to Mozart, but I don't just LOVE and ADORE listening to Mozart.

HOWEVER, I greatly enjoy practicing and playing Mozart's music! Sonata K. 331 1st movement was a great learning experience for me, and had a wide range of moods, the 2nd movement (my favorite) was just SO beautiful, and actually fairly deep for Mozart, and the 3rd movement Rondo Alla Turca... Well, it's played a lot among younger students, but I got to brag to the rest of them about playing the whole sonata. wink And the Concerto 21 in C Major K. 467 1st movement was a BLAST. Although I wish I knew all three movements...

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425
In fact, I find it rather...(dare I say it?) boring... Does anyone feel the same way?

I started viewing Mozart's pieces like elves: deep and graceful, but not necessarily well-developed individually, their depth coming from something collective. Whereas Beethoven's sonatas are like 32 distinct eccentric geniuses.

-J

I like that smile
Sometimes I just wonder if Mozart's music has artistic value. (But then again, I wonder what "artistic value" actually is)

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
(WA is not a teenager.)

Ummmm yes I am, thank you very much. ???

And the Concerto 21 in C Major K. 467 1st movement was a BLAST. Although I wish I knew all three movements...

I am generalizing. There are a few pieces by Mozart that stand out, and that is one of them.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

(WA is not a teenager.)

Ummmm yes I am, thank you very much. ???

Oh, I forgot. Give or take a couple months, hehe.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
for me Mozart is so formal he totally leaves out all vestiges of life.

Wow. All I can say is your soul must be made of ice. No life? Listen to the last movement of 488 and tell me you've heard another composer having so much fun. I can think of only a small handful of composers so full of life such as that found in Mozart's sheer.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
I can think of only a small handful of composers so full of life such as that found in Mozart's sheer.

Is Mendelssohn one of them? I often find a feeling of "life" in his music, too.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I can think of only a small handful of composers so full of life such as that found in Mozart's sheer.

Is Mendelssohn one of them? I often find a feeling of "life" in his music, too.

Honestly, no. I'm not saying it's not there, but he doesn't jump to mind in this instance.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Oh. Who are some others, then?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh. Who are some others, then?

Bach, Beethoven and Chopin come to mind immediately.

♪ ≠ $

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
for me Mozart is so formal he totally leaves out all vestiges of life.

Wow. All I can say is your soul must be made of ice. No life? Listen to the last movement of 488 and tell me you've heard another composer having so much fun. I can think of only a small handful of composers so full of life such as that found in Mozart's sheer.

Yeah, it's fun. But it's not like "real" life. In Mozart you always know what's coming next, or at least it's never completely unexpected.

However, who knows. I may be converted yet. I daresay in a few years I'll be head over heels in love with Mozart...

I'm like you WinsomeAllegretto, I haven't heard very much Mozart that I like, but I consider his Requiem to be one of my favorite works of music. Have you heard it?

-Chopin Nocturne in C#m
-Brahms Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2
-Debussy Ballade
-Bach Prelude and Fugue in Fm WTC II
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Grobanite23
I'm like you WinsomeAllegretto, I haven't heard very much Mozart that I like, but I consider his Requiem to be one of my favorite works of music. Have you heard it?

I've heard parts of it, but not all. I'll have to look it up.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]
However, who knows. I may be converted yet. I daresay in a few years I'll be head over heels in love with Mozart...

That is a good attitude to have. Just because Mozart hasn't yet touched doesn't mean that his music never will. Keep an open mind and be prepared for a revelation.

If you want a somewhat prosaic - OK, maybe even crappy ( word I never use!) - metaphor: Mozart's music can be likened to a lake on summer's day. All the bright glitter of the sunshine on the waters prevents one from seeing the hidden depths, allowing one to enjoy only the superficial beauty. But suddenly, when the light is right and the surface stills, you see just how deep the lake is, and how Mozart's music, to continue the metaphor, does plumb the depths of the human experience to a much greater degree than one initially felt.

There is great representation of the human condition in the music of Mozart, you just have to know that some day it will most likely reveal itself to you. Be glad when it does; be sorry for what you'll miss if it doesn't.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Does anyone feel the same way?

Well, not me.

Ditto. smile

I gotta wonder if maybe you haven't heard really good performances of Mozart.
Probably more than any other composer, Mozart depends on excellent performance.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission