Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (abomic, AnnInMiami, Bett, Alex Hutor, astrotoy, anotherscott, 34 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What would you all think? [Re: Andromaque] #1481302
07/25/10 05:39 PM
07/25/10 05:39 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by Andromaque
But your local venerable orchestra is struggling and unless you plan regular and generous contributions, you must allow them some elbow room.. From a business perspective, it is plain stupid to ignore modern marketing means.

Major orchestras are struggling because they belong to past, not the present. They are huge, bloated organizations, the halls are far too large, the "stars" are too expensive, the repertoire is too stagnant and too full of massive blockbusters that require all sorts of extra players, and the players' contracts place too many restrictions on what can be done. I don't think clever marketing tricks can save them, as they are currently constituted, although probably a few will manage to survive (mostly outside of the USA).

I don't think classical music is dead, but I think its future is scaled a lot differently than what we've become used to.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: What would you all think? [Re: Orange Soda King] #1481309
07/25/10 05:48 PM
07/25/10 05:48 PM
D
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Damon  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
D

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Originally Posted by Damon

I just set my ring tone to 'a guy coughing'.

HAHAHA!!! If you're forgetful like I am, that's the most genius way to get out of a bad situation (or at least buy a couple seconds to quickly turn off your phone) if your phone accidentally goes off in a performance!

Well, not really... but what would you rather have? A person briefly cough, or an actual ring tone? I guess it's the lesser of two evils.

With a cough, only the people near you give you the evil eye. A ring tone and the whole audience wants you dead. The lesser of two evils is clear to me. smile

Re: What would you all think? [Re: lilylady] #1481338
07/25/10 06:24 PM
07/25/10 06:24 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Offline

New York
Originally Posted by lilylady
Unwrapping a cough drop is mini seconds.....

Not necessarily, of course. ha

Some people try to be 'considerate' and unwrap the candy r-e-a-l.....s-l-o-w.

And some people who are even more 'considerate' do it r--e--a--l, r--e--a--l, ..........s--l--o--w. smile

Re: What would you all think? [Re: Mark_C] #1481344
07/25/10 06:35 PM
07/25/10 06:35 PM
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mattardo  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's the same reason I prefer watching movies at home - there's always someone who never learned how to eat popcorn properly and must exhibit their gross lack of etiquette in public.
There's always someone who must bring their children along to an R-Rated movie, displaying their bad parenting and the guarantee that the children will be bored out of their minds and start acting up, because there's no Harry Potter or Shrek on the screen.

I remember a recent concert in a town I don't normally frequent, and they were using speakers and microphones for the orchestra. It wouldn't have been bad if the speakers hadn't been crackling and unable to reproduce certain frequencies essential to certain instruments.
Another reason I like to skip movies, as well - watching a good movie in surround sound is great, if the music doesn't make the speakers whine, crackle and buzz.

Re: What would you all think? [Re: Mark_C] #1481539
07/26/10 01:12 AM
07/26/10 01:12 AM
boston north
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member
lilylady  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

boston north
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by lilylady
Unwrapping a cough drop is mini seconds.....

Not necessarily, of course. ha

Some people try to be 'considerate' and unwrap the candy r-e-a-l.....s-l-o-w.

And some people who are even more 'considerate' do it r--e--a--l, r--e--a--l, ..........s--l--o--w. smile

As one active member might say....

ha

;-)

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Re: What would you all think? [Re: lilylady] #1481612
07/26/10 07:04 AM
07/26/10 07:04 AM
New York City
Phlebas Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Phlebas  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

New York City
Isn't it a little presumptuous to assume you will be asked back for an encore before the performance even starts?

That's like announcing, "during the standing ovation after I perform, please put down your programs, so the applause is louder."

Re: What would you all think? [Re: Phlebas] #1481616
07/26/10 07:11 AM
07/26/10 07:11 AM
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mattardo  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Phlebas
Isn't it a little presumptuous to assume you will be asked back for an encore before the performance even starts?

That's like announcing, "during the standing ovation after I perform, please put down your programs, so the applause is louder."

Ha- true. I wonder what would have happened if nobody had clapped?
Maybe they ensured the ovation by giving out free money before the concert to select individuals...

I suppose, in the end, Lang Lang probably always gets a request for an ovation? He seems to be relatively popular, of late.

Re: What would you all think? [Re: Mattardo] #1481739
07/26/10 11:35 AM
07/26/10 11:35 AM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline

New York
Originally Posted by Mattardo
.....He seems to be relatively popular, of late.

Of early also. ha

Re: What would you all think? [Re: Phlebas] #1481773
07/26/10 12:22 PM
07/26/10 12:22 PM
WinsomeAllegretto Offline
500 Post Club Member
WinsomeAllegretto  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Phlebas

I've always wondered that. Last year a pianist played a recital at school and I knew what the encore was going to be. However his actual recital was about 2 hours long and everyone in the audience was tired by the end, especially since there weren't a whole lot of pianists in the audience, so I thought they wouldn't clap long enough for the encore. But they did. I always wonder how the pianist would have felt if they didn't though, lol.

Re: What would you all think? [Re: WinsomeAllegretto] #1481795
07/26/10 12:34 PM
07/26/10 12:34 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline

New York
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
.....I always wonder how the pianist would have felt if they didn't though, lol.

You be ready not to play any encores. smile

Re: What would you all think? [Re: Andromaque] #1481978
07/26/10 06:50 PM
07/26/10 06:50 PM
chopinizmyhomeboy Offline
chopinizmyhomeboy  Offline

this is soooo kool. i liek to use my iphone to text lang lang and make him think up these classical songs to play on the piano. you know, this is liek a tecknologie imersion you know. like mixing the past with the future, like........audience participation. I liek see on the knews that tecknologie is liek more helpful than ever and liek this can certain make the classical musik more like intereting and fun for the not lieking classical music you know? liek lang lang iz makng it more hip you know? so liek this move by the strings people and the lang lang. it is tight. i want him to play the Chopin etude cuz i love the song.

- sent from my iphone

Re: What would you all think? [Re: chopinizmyhomeboy] #1481988
07/26/10 07:09 PM
07/26/10 07:09 PM
Here, as opposed to there
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member
stores  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted by chopinizmyhomeboy
this is soooo kool. i liek to use my iphone to text lang lang and make him think up these classical songs to play on the piano. you know, this is liek a tecknologie imersion you know. like mixing the past with the future, like........audience participation. I liek see on the knews that tecknologie is liek more helpful than ever and liek this can certain make the classical musik more like intereting and fun for the not lieking classical music you know? liek lang lang iz makng it more hip you know? so liek this move by the strings people and the lang lang. it is tight. i want him to play the Chopin etude cuz i love the song.

- sent from my iphone

We ask that like all members like please turn off their iphones during forum participation, so that like the entire audience is like able to enjoy the show. So like what words go with that tight etude song? Does like LL sing it? So like what's his number so that like I can text him and tell him that like "hey dude, you suck, but like obviously you have a great agent/PR team... so like hook me up."

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Re: What would you all think? [Re: stores] #1482022
07/26/10 08:09 PM
07/26/10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by stores

- sent from my iphone

We ask that like all members like please turn off their iphones during forum participation, so that like the entire audience is like able to enjoy the show. So like what words go with that tight etude song? Does like LL sing it? So like what's his number so that like I can text him and tell him that like "hey dude, you suck, but like obviously you have a great agent/PR team... so like hook me up."

lol grin thumb

Re: What would you all think? [Re: chopinizmyhomeboy] #1482042
07/26/10 08:43 PM
07/26/10 08:43 PM
L
lisztonian Offline
lisztonian  Offline
L

- sent from my iphone

lol grin thumb

Surely you aren't assuming all Iphone or text message users talk like that in text messages?

Re: What would you all think? [Re: lisztonian] #1482045
07/26/10 08:53 PM
07/26/10 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by lisztonian

- sent from my iphone

lol grin thumb

Surely you aren't assuming all Iphone or text message users talk like that in text messages?

of course not, I only used language in that way to satire the situation; if I had used the way the average iphone or text message user texts, my post would not have been an attempt at humor lol grin.

Re: What would you all think? [Re: chopinizmyhomeboy] #1482069
07/26/10 09:38 PM
07/26/10 09:38 PM
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mattardo  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by lisztonian

- sent from my iphone

lol grin thumb

of course not, I only used language in that way to satire the situation; if I had used the way the average iphone or text message user texts, my post would not have been an attempt at humor lol grin.

Careful - some Iphone users get pretty uppity at perceived slights towards their toy. They will literally create an app just to automatically generate nasty comments about you.
IF the app is approved by Apple - which it usually is. As long as there are no scantily clad women, it should go through.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How not to press with my 4th finger
by Veve87. 07/21/19 03:41 PM
Learning scales
by Steve-22. 07/21/19 03:28 PM
Recommendations for me a digital audio mixer?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 07/21/19 03:05 PM
Motivation for adult beginners
by Tom97. 07/21/19 02:43 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,109
Posts2,850,379
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission