2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mattardo
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Why the total opposition to "technology" even in an outdoor setting? The idea obviously is meant to interest younger people. Music halls are struggling with significant financial setbacks.
While I would not want people to be using their cell phones for anything in the concert hall, I think of outdoor concerts (which I never attend) as promotion gigs and would not mind it greatly.
However what I found to be tasteless is the "highjacking" of the phone numbers/addresses with a return message that offered a blunt ad. Perhaps I am contradicting myself, but I cannot resolve this dichotomy for now..

If the whole intention is to get new, younger people and/or increase revenue - there's lots of different options available.
Lang Lang could put a promotional sticker, ala Nascar, on the side of the piano - maybe Red Bull.
He's already shown he's good at pleasing sponsors when he played an encore on the Apple Ipad.
He could play along to the latest DJ, and have a full setup - Lang Lang and Mix Master D, brought to you by McDonald's.
They could provide online gaming tables, and the kids could experience what it's like to play Call of Duty 4 to the pleasing strains of Mozart - perhaps it will calm their minds, and improve their aim!
He could engourage the audience to purchase the latest Iphone App - Concert Clap: it simulates the clapping of one pair of hands, to be used at concerts - of course.
The Program Book could be available only as an Iphone application, available for purchase at the venue.
He could write some transcriptions of some popular product theme songs - Imagine Lang Lang pulling off a virtuoso performance of the Mentos Song!
Why have seats, when they could just pull up in their new, hybrid cars - just like a drive-in?
Why use an acoustic piano, now that I'm thinking of it? With the big push to get rid of everything analog, lately - Lang Lang should really be performing on a clavinova - recyclable, of course.

Why stop with texting? A whole world of commercial licensing and marketing is available to the suavy and trend-following pianist, if only they have the courage and greed to follow through. Lang Lang is doing classical music a great service, by dumbing it down for the younger generation, instead of expecting the younger generation to step up a little bit. I'm sure he'll be remembered fondly some day.

smile

Mark C has the right idea - there are far better ways to get people interested.

+1 man this is right he plays really good songs that sound good and were in a new world today so we should be using our technology at our disposal and stores just cant except change or how good lang lang plays classical songs on the piano.

and yes put stickers on the piano im sure the residue isnt to hard too get off yeah?

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 07/25/10 10:21 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
Originally Posted by Mark_C
IMO doing it via texting rather than those other ways is completely bone-headed.
It's entirely logical if you're harvesting future recipients for promotional spam.

EXACTLY

(Good job.) smile

Originally Posted by John_B
Seeing how mobile phones ring tones are the curse of concerts I think encouraging their use at such events is a very, very bad idea.

Yes.
Yet another reason to avoid anything to do with cell phones, iPhones, blackberrys, and berries of any other color unless they're fruit. smile

I thought of that right away but forgot to say so. smile

I think we've pretty much pulverized the idea.

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
....he plays really good songs that sound good and were in a new world today so we should be using our technology at our disposal.....

and yes put stickers on the piano im sure the residue isnt to hard too get off yeah?

Sarcasm noted.

Including intentional omission of apostrophes. ha

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

Lang Lang is doing classical music a great service, by dumbing it down for the younger generation, instead of expecting the younger generation to step up a little bit. I'm sure he'll be remembered fondly some day.

Please tell me that you're being sarcastic here (as well as the rest of your post that I didn't include).

Yes, Stores - I was being sarcastic.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

Lang Lang is doing classical music a great service, by dumbing it down for the younger generation, instead of expecting the younger generation to step up a little bit. I'm sure he'll be remembered fondly some day.

Please tell me that you're being sarcastic here (as well as the rest of your post that I didn't include).

Yes, Stores - I was being sarcastic.

Thank God. I had to ask because ya never know.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I see .. It is the involvement of LL really that is getting you all incensed.. What if it were Hamelin or any other pianist??
Sarcasm noted and irrelevant since it waded into extrapolations and hyperbole.

The situation is really not THAT outrageous. I am playing the devil's advocate mind you, since my immediate reaction was equally negative. But entertaining the masses under some conditions (which also means not allowing cell phone use IN the concert hall, as opposed to an outdoor venue) is not really such a negative thing. Obviously it is gimmicky, and so is LL. But your local venerable orchestra is struggling and unless you plan regular and generous contributions, you must allow them some elbow room.. From a business perspective, it is plain stupid to ignore modern marketing means. As for the spam concern, it is not novel. You have been subject to it ever since your grandfather started receiving the Sears catalog. (no catalogs in your snail mail??.. can't delete those as fast as email!).
I have a feeling that despite our preference as a conservative lot when it comes to classical music performance, "just say no" won't cut it.

I see .. It is the involvement of LL really that is getting you all incensed.....

You are misreading us.

A couple of people have focused on the Lang Lang aspect, but that's all.

We're talking about the basic thing.
I promise you. smile

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
1 No
2 Maybe
3 Chinese

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
1) Do you think using text messaging during concerts is a good idea
No (but I'm afraid this says more about the respondent's age than anything else) ha

grin

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
IMO doing it via texting rather than those other ways is completely bone-headed.
It's entirely logical if you're harvesting future recipients for promotional spam.

EXACTLY

thumb

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by John_B
Seeing how mobile phones ring tones are the curse of concerts I think encouraging their use at such events is a very, very bad idea.

I just set my ring tone to 'a guy coughing'.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Oh, I almost forgot:

No
No
B

Originally Posted by Damon

I think 'coughs' lend an air of authenticity to live recordings. smile

(They also sort of tell you where the audience is bored.) ha

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I think 'coughs' lend an air of authenticity to live recordings. smile

(They also sort of tell you where the audience is bored.) ha

They run the danger of putting a cough at a certain measure into one's head - "And here's where the cough should be.."

The movie Immortal Beloved had the unfortunate effect of making me expect someone should be screaming "HOOOOORNS!" during the 5th Piano Concerto of Beethoven. Dang it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I see .. It is the involvement of LL really that is getting you all incensed.....

You are misreading us.

A couple of people have focused on the Lang Lang aspect, but that's all.

We're talking about the basic thing.
I promise you. smile

Yes, even if Horowitz himself had tried this, we would probably be reacting the same way.
Maybe...
I know I would.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

HAHAHA!!! If you're forgetful like I am, that's the most genius way to get out of a bad situation (or at least buy a couple seconds to quickly turn off your phone) if your phone accidentally goes off in a performance!

Well, not really... but what would you rather have? A person briefly cough, or an actual ring tone? I guess it's the lesser of two evils.

Unless of course, you ACTUALLY turn off (or at least silence) your phone, which you should remember to do. But my above post was just for laughs.

And no, my phone has never gone off in a concert. It has silently vibrated, but even in total silence, it didn't make the slightest noise. (It still scared me, though!)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

HAHAHA!!! If you're forgetful like I am, that's the most genius way to get out of a bad situation (or at least buy a couple seconds to quickly turn off your phone) if your phone accidentally goes off in a performance!

Well, not really... but what would you rather have? A person briefly cough, or an actual ring tone? I guess it's the lesser of two evils.

Unless of course, you ACTUALLY turn off (or at least silence) your phone, which you should remember to do. But my above post was just for laughs.

And no, my phone has never gone off in a concert. It has silently vibrated, but even in total silence, it didn't make the slightest noise. (It still scared me, though!)

What about the sound of candy unwrapping?
It's funny how many people unwrap candy to help stifle coughs - I don't know which is more annoying.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
YES that too! Ughh.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Unwrapping a cough drop is mini seconds.

Coughing could be for an hour.

I had to do it once, and just about died from the noise. But if I didn't, a long cough would have started.

If it did, I would have left for sure, in total humiliation.
That though is just a part of life for us all.

Get up and leave? More annoyance possibly?

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission