2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Brooke Taylor
I read somewhere off of their website about a year ago, that it is $725,000 dollars for a full four year scholarship. Maybe they changed it? Because I DO remember, without a doubt, reading that.
Sounds more like the total scholarship for the 5 Browns.

OP Offline
Well, I think I will, and I have come to a realization that my opinion is the only one that matters. But, you don't have to be so negative, you know. I'm not wasting practice time, maybe if you would open your eyes up a little bit, and read my other posts, then you would have known that. We are not talking about being the best pianist in the world to get in, here. The three Juilliard graduates that I know of are either A: Working as a music teacher at a dumpy little Christian school in nowheresville, B: Teaching privately in his own little studio in Lakeland for $25 dollars a half an hour, or C: Clipping trees and pulling weeds with his own little lawn service company. So, when people say that you have to be basically one and a million to get in, I have proof that it is completely untrue. I don't see why you don't think I will get in, or why you do not believe me. Sort of brings me down, but as another said, I have to be tough as nails. Which is hard to do for me, because I can't help being too sensitive. The smallest things ruin my day, and being my obsessive self, I have a very difficult time letting them go. There are people that have made it. It is not impossible. The skys the limit...

Last edited by Brooke Taylor; 07/24/10 11:26 PM.
P
P
Not to be rude, but if you think so little of the three Juilliard graduates you know, why do you want to go there? Those three graduates may be wonderful pianists who have other priorities in life, have decided that their life will move in a different direction. Particularly distasteful are your belittling references to the "little" studio, the "little" lawn service company. Successfully running your own company is probably even more difficult than getting into Juilliard; those three graduates have nothing to be ashamed of, and even out of practice can probably play rings around an amateur who has been playing for a matter of months.

I received my masters from Juilliard several years ago, and now work as an opera coach. Many of my friends from Juilliard work in music, but some of them had other goals; one of the best pianists I knew there just finished an M.D. at a good school.

All of the musicians there perform on a very high level; all of them spent a majority of their childhood and adolescence working their butts off. That being said, there are fine musicians at EVERY music school in this country, both on faculty and in the student body. I did my undergrad at a large public university, and the quality of instruction there was just as high as at Juilliard. Pick your school based on what you want to learn, not on the glamor of a name.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You shouldn't care what anyone thinks if you really want to do somethig. I think we're just tryng to give you facts and let you know what may or may not happen. Good luck!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Brooke, I enjoyed having a wonderful conversation with you through private messages, and I would love to talk to you more if you have any more questions, concerns, or just want to talk. smile And good luck with achieving your goals.

OP Offline
Thank you so much Ethan! I also enjoyed talking to you. You're a blast to chat with! So, of course I would love to continue to talk to you! Here, or Facebook! I'm always open!

OP Offline
Okay, Pianodude, sorry if I offended you. But I have to go, I have better things to do than argue with a complete stranger who has nothing better to do than belittle a fourteen year old.

Last edited by Brooke Taylor; 07/25/10 01:22 AM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
That's correct, Brooke. You do have better things to do - like learning how to play the piano. grin So how about focusing on that for the time being and see where it takes you?

Good folks here (complete strangers) have taken the time to give you advice - based on their own life experiences - which is what you were seeking in the first place - right? If not - why did you even bother to seek their input?

I look forward to hearing your "Raindrop" Prelude - and best of luck as you and your parents try to find a good, reasonably priced acoustic piano.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
This thing about people asking for advice or opinions, then rudely moaning because they don't hear what they want, is really getting old.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by izaldu
This thing about people asking for advice or opinions, then rudely moaning because they don't hear what they want, is really getting old.

It is apparent that she has her mind made up, and that is fine. She will need that kind of determination to get into Julliard if that is her wish. Sometimes overall as a group, we can respond in the negative pretty easy, most cases it is just rough doses of reality.

I think Brooke was hoping for a different reaction overall, but that reaction is hard to give without the proof being in the pudding.

At the end of the day, ours is a crazy profession, hobby, lifestyle, whatever you like to refer to it as. And sometimes we have to be just plane nuts to get what we want out of it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, I think I will, and I have come to a realization that my opinion is the only one that matters. But, you don't have to be so negative, you know. I'm not wasting practice time, maybe if you would open your eyes up a little bit, and read my other posts, then you would have known that. We are not talking about being the best pianist in the world to get in, here. The three Juilliard graduates that I know of are either A: Working as a music teacher at a dumpy little Christian school in nowheresville, B: Teaching privately in his own little studio in Lakeland for $25 dollars a half an hour, or C: Clipping trees and pulling weeds with his own little lawn service company. So, when people say that you have to be basically one and a million to get in, I have proof that it is completely untrue. I don't see why you don't think I will get in, or why you do not believe me. Sort of brings me down, but as another said, I have to be tough as nails. Which is hard to do for me, because I can't help being too sensitive. The smallest things ruin my day, and being my obsessive self, I have a very difficult time letting them go. There are people that have made it. It is not impossible. The skys the limit...

You're right...you DON'T have to be one in a million and it's not an impossible task. I'm just giving you my thoughts after a little over 40 years of experience versus your 10 weeks. I'm not trying to belittle you at all...I simply don't believe some of your claims, which leads me to alternative conclusions about the matter. Now honestly, the three Juilliard grads that you know (or know OF?) shouldn't concern you in the least, because what one does with one's own education has nothing to do with where that education came from. That's something worth remembering.Good luck to you.
Rach 3 in another 4 weeks and Prok 2 the week after that, yes?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dear RonaldSteinway,

I do have top notch teachers. I understand how expensive it is, but as the website said, 80% of the students there are on scholarships. I don't think there are many people that can afford $725,000 for four years. I just started in May, and I did not have any piano background. Yes, Indeed it sounds like a fantastic school, with talents of the highest caliber. But I believe I will get in.

- Brooke

Nothing is impossible!! You are still young, do work very hard and try. At the end of the day, if you cannot get in to Juilliard, you have tried your best, and also I bet you will improve exponetially.

Good luck...I support and admire your desire..

Originally Posted by izaldu

It's pretty much the opposite. We're being extremely kind and encouraging to someone who (by appearances) is being unrealistic in a number of respects, and giving constructive input that will help her have some actual chance to get there. As well as to have a happy and meaningful life. smile
(Gearing one's life at this point to 'getting into Juilliard' in all likelihood will not.)

And you're complaining? ha

OP Offline
Oh yes, indeed I have recieved some valuable information here - The best piano website I have come across. But some people are so negative. I do not understand why. I am playing Raindrop Prelude at my teachers church next Sunday, and I will be sure to take a video then and send it to you, it may even be earlier. Thank you for answering!

- Brooke

Last edited by Brooke Taylor; 07/25/10 10:59 AM.
OP Offline
Unrealistic? How is this unrealistic? A dream is only achieveable if you DREAM it first. If everyone thought of "realistic" dreams, I'm sure there wouldn't be many people attending Juilliard, or other top conservatories, or big and famous rock stars making millions of dollars. There are many people that have dreamed of going to Juilliard and have made it. So what are you talking about? I am not understanding the reason for your negativity. Its seems like some of the thinking here is backwards. Please explain?

Last edited by Brooke Taylor; 07/25/10 10:58 AM.
OP Offline
There is a difference between giving someone an opinion, and just being a negative waste of space. There is no such thing as an unrealistic dream. You don't have much room to talk either, because your profile even says "Yet to play the piano properly."

Come back to me when you have something to say that's worth of any value.

Last edited by Brooke Taylor; 07/25/10 11:14 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Brooke, it's not negativity you're seeing. You asked a question "Do you think I will get into Juilliard in about 10-12 years?" Do you only want to hear a resounding YES! You will get into Juilliard in 10-12 years! You are asking people to make predictions based on zero data. Nobody here has a crystal ball and nobody here has seen you play. Are you seriously interested in people's opinions or you are just looking for support of your dreams? If it's the former, then be prepared for a wide range of opinions, ranging from "yeah, when heck freezes over" to "of course you'll get into Juilliard tomorrow". None of these answers should mean that much to you since you will pursue your dream anyway if it is what you are living for.

Edit: It is good to dream big, but be sure that as a growing pianist you always put the music first and that you aim to create the finest music your head, heart, and hands are capable of producing. That is something that is entirely within your control.

Last edited by jazzyprof; 07/25/10 12:17 PM.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Unrealistic? How is this unrealistic?

Before I tell you why, I just want to say I think it's incredible that you can play the works you play in such a short time. It's awesome! And I certainly hope you achieve all your dreams.

It would be unrealistic, especially for people who don't know you, for various reasons - some of which, or all of which, may not even apply to you. For instance, you say your parents can't afford to buy you a piano, yet you want to go to a university which requires about 50,000/year for masters. Yes, they give scholarships, but not to everybody - and let's, for a second, pretend we live in the real world. My best friend's boyfriend attended the school for two years and he's never been so skrewed when it comes to debt. You can only imagine. They're even putting off getting married for a few years because he cannot pay off his debt. The only way he survives is because of her, basically. Ok, second - at your age, most Juilliards probably have played works like, Appassionata, 110, Rachmaninoff concerti/original 2 sonata/whatever, Pictures, etc. They've also studied theory/history all their lives.

Those are just two reasons. I have no doubt you can succeed. But at the same time, I don't know what kind of person you are, so how can I possibly give you an honest answer? You may get frustrated halfway, who knows?

I myself don't know why you would want to go there, out of all places. I've seen such hostility from people who go there, because the environment turns them into that, and I don't think music needs that. But that's just me. You may love it (and I hope you do if you go there), so who knows?

There are always two sides of everything. You wanted some opinions and you got them. You didn't like all of them but you should've been prepared for that, I think. Now quit whining and go practice!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
With lots of hard work, lots of practice and the right kind of guidance from good teachers, combined with your gifted talents, you might be able to get into Juilliard, or another good music college.

One of my tuning client's son's goal is to make it into Juilliard. He plays Ravel, Liszt, Albeniz, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms and others quite expertly. He is in the 10th grade right now. He has three different teachers and attends a school for the arts, where music is the key focus and standard academic learning is also part of his curriculum so he can get a High School diploma. He played Albeniz Asturias and a Ravel piece for me as a test-drive for the tuning and it was all I could do to keep my jaw from hitting the floor!

Keep your focus and have fun. I hope you get the best guidance possible in your journey. I'd love to hear you play what you can now and keep us informed as time goes on for you.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Suggested Goal for this year?

Get a very good acoustic piano to practice on. That should be your current dream.

It will make a world of difference in your playing.

It is interesting that we follow and continue to support this thread. At first you appeared greatful, thankful, and responsive to our suggestions . Now I see defensiveness, a 'you know better than those with years of experience that are only trying to help you attitude'. You are 14, with 10 weeks of piano experience behind you. Please, please, wait until you have more experience behind you before you make your long term goals. And listen to fellow members advice.

And, Enjoy the musical experience that you are having NOW.

Yes, we are trying to help you and give you good advice.

Which is what you asked for.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission