2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
94 members (Animisha, accordeur, AnnaF, anamnesis, 36251, An Old Square, AndreaH, blueviewlaguna., 19 invisible), 1,238 guests, and 392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
Any Mozart sonata.

OMGOSH YES! They're all impossible to play.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

B
B
I'd say La Campanella has a fairly large discrepancy between how difficult it's perceived to be and how hard it actually is. It is still definitely a difficult piece... but so many people see it as being so much more difficult than it really is. A lot of the techniques fall into place comfortably if you're at the level of being able to attempt it. The runs are mostly simple chromatics, the jumps just take a bit of dedicated practice, and then you've got them, and the ending sounds a lot more difficult than it really is.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Butters109
I'd say La Campanella has a fairly large discrepancy between how difficult it's perceived to be and how hard it actually is. It is still definitely a difficult piece... but so many people see it as being so much more difficult than it really is. A lot of the techniques fall into place comfortably if you're at the level of being able to attempt it. The runs are mostly simple chromatics, the jumps just take a bit of dedicated practice, and then you've got them, and the ending sounds a lot more difficult than it really is.

Just listened and watched again, and it looks and sounds very difficult to me, even when player looks relaxed like this one. The end seems crazy hard. My compliments to you for being able to play this smile

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
B
B
That's a different version then is usually played, and I believe it is a bit harder than the standard one.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jdhampton924
This thread reminds me of when I played the Brahms D minor concerto. It was my first concerto, my teacher said to me, I will not teach you the Grieg or Schumann I am sick of them. Then he said, you should play Brahms First. It is not difficult at all, except for a horrendous octave passage.

Interesting. I recall that after Ruth Laredo recorded all (or most?) of Rachmaninov's piano music, she said in an interview that when she tackled the Brahms D minor for the first time, she found it relatively easy after plowing through Rachmaninov's heavily contrapuntal piano writing.

Otherwise, as much as I love the Grieg and Schumann concertos, IMO they have nowhere near the musical depths of the Brahms. The big octave salvo in the Brahms is painfully exposed (like the piano entrance in Beethoven's 3rd?), but I would think not more difficult than what one casually encounters in Tchaikovsky's 1st, or the piano entrance of the Liszt Eb for that matter.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
Any Mozart sonata.

OMGOSH YES! They're all impossible to play.

Even those damned slow movements are hard. They're just so booby trapped at every juncture. tiki

And no, we're not talking 'notes' (anybody can play them), we're talking about musical decisions. You sit there staring at the score dumbfounded, wondering how the heck to come to terms with it. Truly music that only young prodigies can easily play. Good on them!

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's a different version then is usually played, and I believe it is a bit harder than the standard one.

The pianist replies to a youtube comment "the Busoni version is more economical technically, and certainly not more difficult." But maybe he can't tell laugh Both versions are way beyond me at this point.

I think I should go and do a bit of a survey with my own rep to see which is generally percieved as more difficult, then I'll know what to pull out when I want to impress wink I think it's difficult to tell how "average person" will judge.

It's a very important question in teaching kids too; you want to give them the opportunity to really impress their friends. It's a question dear to their hearts (yeah and mine hehe).

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yes that opening passage of the Liszt Concerto. I think it took me five play through of that darn jumps to finally play all the right notes. Of course the cadenza was a mess. Then again that's at Argerich tempo. Wouldn't it be quite easy at Richter tempo or Michelangeli tempo.

I believe Laredo. My experiences with Godowsky make everything else appear easy. Don't get started on the size of the chords and jumps in his Sonata. I'd rather Rachmaninoff any day in comparison.

The Ravel Gmajor I think is underestimated for it's difficulty. Sure technically it's not too bad, but it's like other simple pieces in that it derives it's difficulty from trying to do something other than looks cool.

B
B
Originally Posted by Canonie

The pianist replies to a youtube comment "the Busoni version is more economical technically, and certainly not more difficult." But maybe he can't tell laugh Both versions are way beyond me at this point.

I think I should go and do a bit of a survey with my own rep to see which is generally percieved as more difficult, then I'll know what to pull out when I want to impress wink I think it's difficult to tell how "average person" will judge.

It's a very important question in teaching kids too; you want to give them the opportunity to really impress their friends. It's a question dear to their hearts (yeah and mine hehe).

I can see where he might say that it is more economical technically, as in it takes out a few of the jumps and splits some of the difficulties that Liszt confines to just the right hand to both left and right hands... but these parts aren't nearly as difficult as they sound if you're at the level to attempt the piece. Busoni adds a lot of other difficulties I think that overall make his version more difficult.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MikeN

The Ravel Gmajor I think is underestimated for it's difficulty. Sure technically it's not too bad, but it's like other simple pieces in that it derives it's difficulty from trying to do something other than looks cool.

Underestimated? Who said that? laugh

I thought in a sense it is considered on a similar level with Ravel's major solo works. My piano teacher at uni mentioned that once.

And of course you do know the frightening tale for us mortals: the slow movement is supposedly a b*tch to memorize, but Argerich reportedly memorized it after one read-through. I guess she was not aware it was supposed to be difficult.

Jason
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yea, a small feat for the same woman who Memorized Gaspard in 3 days. Yet I'm always encouraged when I hear how sloppily she plays it at times. Only Argerich could get away with some of the performances she did in the 70s and 80s.

Although none on this particular form has the nerve, I've heard the Ravel simply tossed off as easy.

N
nauru Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I personally think the difficulty of Bach pieces on the piano is overstated by most non-pianists. And by pianists who have good hand-eye coordination but lack the musical inclination/sense to play music which requires expression/interpretation (beyond the relatively minimal amount required for Bach piano, that is).

Last edited by nauru; 07/24/10 10:52 AM.
O
O
In my experience, a lot of Brahms sounds much simpler than it is to play.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Phlebas
Chopin 10/2. I've told a number of non-pianists that this is one of the hardest etudes - without explaining why - and they think it sounds easy compared to - say - the Revolutionary.

When I first started looking at the etudes, this was the only one I could sight read from beginning to end, so I put it on the back-burner as something I could do anytime. Later on, a thread here at PW discussing it's difficulty had me pulling it out again and I had to admit that once I started increasing the speed, it started to become painful to play. I still can't play it to speed.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The general idea I am getting from this thread is frankly difficulty is relative like anything else. What is difficult for some is easy for others, and vice versa.

I find Bach difficult because it was not designed for a piano, other people do not have that issue. I do not find the voicing the most difficult part, but that is due to how I learn Bach pieces.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Scriabin's 42 no.5 comes across as less difficult than it really is. I think also the etude op.65 no.1? If you just listen, you don't realize how impossible it is, with all of those ninths flying everywhere.

Speaking of Scriabin, I've always thought the op. 8, no. 12 etude was easier than its reputation seems to be (which isn't to say it is easy). Probably the Horowitz effect...

I agree with those who are saying that Brahms generally is more difficult to learn and play than it sounds.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cast12
Fantasie Impromptu is so much easier than it sounds.

1+

Chopin Nocturne 62/2 -much harder than it sounds

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
A
A
ABRSM Grade 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taOZj_3sRsM
Sounds very busy and harder?

http://www.youtube.com/alanchan1024
ABRSM Piano 2011-2012 Video
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=
G1 EA8D704B8441954D G2 64E0FE47FA591792
G3 D7DD10A2AC950B11 G4 5AF25907EDDBFCA9
G5 BA516FD389619D3D G6 AB18EFE9EA72B5AB
G7 E2FD014EAEEB7E0A G8 80AA18C63B1CE335
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by wr
Scriabin's 42 no.5 comes across as less difficult than it really is. I think also the etude op.65 no.1? If you just listen, you don't realize how impossible it is, with all of those ninths flying everywhere.

Speaking of Scriabin, I've always thought the op. 8, no. 12 etude was easier than its reputation seems to be (which isn't to say it is easy). Probably the Horowitz effect...

I agree with those who are saying that Brahms generally is more difficult to learn and play than it sounds.

If you're bad with octaves, then it's not too bad. Interestingly enough, I had more trouble with Rach 23-5 than I am now with Scriabin 8-12

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Yep, the D# minor etude is one of the easier etudes he wrote, because the challenge of the left hand stops towards the end of the piece (when the A section comes back), and the hardest notes can be redistributed to the right hand. It doesn't really have the challenge of monster stretches and impossible arpeggios (you can play the left hand staccato if you want), the insane rhythmic challenges he's notorious for, or ridiculous voicings.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pleyel 1846 advice on purchase please!
by AnnaF - 01/27/22 09:33 AM
How do I find current selling price for my piano?
by AndreaH - 01/27/22 09:11 AM
An Interesting day recording . .
by peterws - 01/27/22 08:46 AM
High pitch ringing on mi3
by elmarmarmar - 01/27/22 08:41 AM
ARSM pieces
by Chrisandellie - 01/27/22 08:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,380
Posts3,164,405
Members104,186
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission