2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1479930 07/23/10 02:18 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I am moving two hours away from home out of my parents house. I have an upright petrof piano. I am curious as to the cost of moving the instrument, or if I should just leave it at my parents house. I am moving out into an apartment near where I go to school out and they have pianos there, but it is always convenient to have yours available to you.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

To do it right (= moving company that specializes in moving pianos) I'm guessing it would run in the avenue of a couple hundred bucks. But you'd need to call around and see what the going rate in your area is.

To do it wrong (= pickup truck, several buddies) it would cost you gas money and beer/pizza for the buddies.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Monica K.

To do it wrong (= pickup truck, several buddies) it would cost you gas money and beer/pizza for the buddies.

And the very real risk of someone getting injured. Do it right = smart!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

+ possible fees paid to chiropractors and orthopedists for strained muscles, backs and broken bones. It's not worth the beer & pizza. Save the beer & pizza for your buddies while you entertain them with your expert playing abilities. smile

If you value your instrument, have someone experienced move the piano for you.

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

M.O.P. #1479992 07/23/10 04:05 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
Call a piano mover and get an estimate. Do not lie about the distance or the steps.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music

And the very real risk of someone getting injured. Do it right = smart!

Not to mention the cost of repairing the stairs, railing, porch, floor, walls etc at either your parents' home or the apartment you are moving into, especially if they drink the beer first ! crazy

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
There is this moment in everyone's life in which one tries to move the piano without calling the pros. In this moment, you suddenly realize that you are not young any more and will begin requiring lifelong back care!

gnuboi #1480542 07/24/10 01:31 PM

jdhampton, trying to move an acoustic around during one's college years is rarely a good idea; if you're like the typical student, you're moving quite frequently. Besides, if you moved your piano, you wouldn't have anything to play when you go back home for holidays.

How about taking the $$ you would've used for the movers and buying a digital piano or keyboard instead? You could move it anywhere, your apartment mates will thank you for it, and it would serve as a satisfactory backup for when you get the deep urge to play late at night and don't want to head out to the practice rooms.

S
S
I wouldn't attempt to move a piano. The couple hundred you pay a mover is money well spent. If you are at the point in your life when your moving a lot, invest in a nice digital piano until you are more established.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Monica, you just mentioned two of the reasons why I got myself a digital piano. I had loads of opportunities to get a free used piano by taking care of the moving costs. Actually I think I wouldn't have been able to get any of them into my room, because of the narrow corridor.

I wonder if the sound advantage of an acoustic piano over most of the digital ones is worth the price difference, unless maybe you know you won't be moving in the next ten years.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Been there, JD. Dragged my piano around myself (yes with buddies; yes, in a pick-up truck; and yes, up to the second floor), in my young years. Learned what a bad idea it was, wouldn't touch this kind of project again, for the very same reasons everyone else gave.

On the other hand, I had a real piano to play, and hiring piano movers and tuning it still cost less than a decent DP would have... up to a point.

These days I have both kinds of piano. Monica has a point that is easier to move a DP, and easier to handle roommates and neighbors, etc. Since you have access to the practice pianos at school, if you can swing it financially you could have the best of both worlds.

And BDB is absolutely right--- do not try to hoodwink the movers.

Clef

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission