2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
Will do! This is a very lovely website. The people on here are actually educated, unlike the numbskulls on yahoo answers.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Brooke Taylor

I agree with you on the prodigy part, but in my opinion, all of the teeny pop bands have been a joke. Jonas brothers, Justin Bieber, (edit: Jesse McCartney)

Well not quite. Is it a joke that all of these performers have incredible charisma, a commanding presence on the stage? That can only be rehearsed up to a certain point, and one cannot take anyone off the street and bring them to that level.

In a more extreme case, it has been discussed here that one cannot take any pianist off the street and transform them into a Horowitz or Argerich... and I don't think the pop world is as different as one might think. The untalented ones are weeded out very quickly. Whatever you say about the Jonas Brothers -and it is not music I particularly care for- they put on a helluva fun show, they play beautifully together, they do more than justice to their material, and they convey a love for their audience. It is a wonderful chemistry, and I am grateful to see this in action. Talent? Well, yes.

Jason
A
A
Maybe they can! I can NOT sing, nor dance. It's just my opinion on their music. But what do I know, I'm just some 14 year old kid! I do understand obsessions, because I have Aspergers, and I have had some very bad obsessions that have taken over me completely. But hearing about these people everyday, it just bothers me when it all comes down to it. You know?

Haha, what do I know? I'm just some THIRTEEN year old kid! Well, yes. Shouldn't people be focusing their attentions elsewhere? It reminds me of teenagers that waste all day playing Guitar Hero and Rockband, when, with that commitment and time, they could be taking up an instrument! And I've had plenty of obsessions myself, until it burns out completely. I try not to get too obsessed, beause I don't want to ruin it for myself.

H
H
Amusing.. Everybody has a different idea of what prodigy means.

The teeny boppers think Justin Beiber and Lady Gaga are prodigies, the pianists think beethoven and chopin are prodigies, the babies think people who can play with 2 hands are prodigies.

Everybody is a 'prodigy'.. in some people's brains.
And everybody is a 'non prodigy' in some people's brains.

And that's all that word means...

Of course, the most important thing is how you define prodigy in your OWN brain.

... such a vital organ
OP Offline
I completely disagree with you, hippymusicman. Justin bieber and lady gaga aren't prodigies. Especially lady gaga. She's what 20? I think your forgetting the age limit. In various definitions, I'll average it out to be, say 15. Lady gaga exceeds this limit. The reason she does not fit into the prodigy definition, is because she does not sing like a highly trained adult. She is an adult. She writes disgusting, meaningless songs. Justin bieber too. Beethoven was not a prodigy. However, His father exploited him to be one. His father was jealous of child prodigy Mozart, and all of his success. So when he made young Beethoven perform, he set back his age. Claiming he was. He was not. Because Mozart set different standards for Prodigies at the time. Chopin, WAS a child prodigy. You are abusing the word, and letting it's meaning go way beyond it's definition, and standards.

H
H
They do not fit into your definition of 'prodigy'.
It's unfair to say "they don't fit THE definition of prodigy" because there is no one definition of prodigy. Prodigy means whatever we think it means.

In your mind, Justin Beiber and Lady Gaga are not prodigies.

In your mind, Age is important and only people below 15 can be prodigies.

In your mind, Singing like a trained adult would contribute to your beliefs on becoming a prodigy.

You could very well share this belief with many other people.
But the fact that you and many others else think them, does not make them true to everybody.

So when you say, 'That person is a prodigy' you may as well be saying 'That person appears to be a prodigy to everybody who has defined 'prodigy' in the same way as me.'

Last edited by hippymusicman; 07/23/10 09:57 AM.

... such a vital organ
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hippymusicman
The terms 'prodigy' or 'talented' mean whatever you want them to mean, and have completely different meanings in the minds of different people.

The same concept applies for all people. Some will define 'really talented' as someone who can use 2 hands at the same time... others will only call 'really talented' as someone who can sight read beethoven..

So in response to your question... Yes a prodigy can be made and formed right now... In fact, I can make you one right now.

*I believe what you can do on the piano makes you a prodigy.*

Congratulations. You are prodigy in my mind. Now work on changing what prodigy means for you... until you believe you are one.

The point is, it's just a label. If you are one to me. You can be one to yourself, and you can be one to other people in the same way.

And then the penny drops... labels mean nothing but what you think they mean.

Hippy (which is a fine way to be, by the way, less of a medical risk than carrying weight on the abdomen)

What kind of penny is this - English? Australian? could I use a dime? And how do I know which direction the penny drops? A penny dropping in China takes a different trajectory than in my county. Or.. does it?

Why do you tell me this penny drops when you know that all our pennies drop differently (literal and metaphoric pennies). Have you tried communicating without nouns. I think this would avoid the *----- altogether.

* = problem (in my mind at least).

hi brooke, you sound very enthusiastic and passionate - enjoy your music and piano playing. It is a gift smile

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
HP,

Is your definition of the indefinite integral whatever you want it to be? Are your feelings about the tensile strength of various metals every bit as valid as a metallurgists? Just because the concept of 'prodigy' isn't from mathematics or materials science does not mean that anything goes. Social scientists define terms so they can use them to communicate to each other and so that they can be sure that when they are measuring things, and trying to understand processes like human development, that they are talking TO each other instead of PAST each other. You may not like how the term is being used by these social scientists, though I suspect you have not really thought seriously about it, but your feelings really don't advance anyone's ability to understand anything.

In everyday speech, people often use words imprecisely, and they personalize the meaning in different ways. This does lead to communication problems. But it does not mean that people cannot rigorously study a phenomenon. Precise definition is the starting point for any serious study. Precise definition allows clear observation and comparison. Clear observation permits tentative conclusions about correlation and perhaps even causality. This is how serious people think about complicated issues.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]
yes yes that's what I meant!
Elegant, precise and accurate post P*Dad. And I liked your earlier one too.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Do you want pepperoni on that? wink

What really IS a pepperoni? There are thousands of types. I'm SOOO confused. My brain hurts. grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by moscheles001
Do you want pepperoni on that? wink

[Linked Image]
Brilliant moscheles. Too funny!!

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
Originally Posted by Canonie

Hippy (which is a fine way to be, by the way, less of a medical risk than carrying weight on the abdomen)
I'll buy that!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The post really was about pizza, before it was edited.

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
M
M
Originally Posted by cast12

You've stated that can play ... Un Sospiro...From what I know, no pianist in history -- not even Liszt or Rachmaninoff -- progressed as rapidly as you have.

Liszt couldn't play Un Sospiro after 10 weeks, but that's only becuase he hadn't written it yet wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M

If I eat too much pepperoni pizza, I'd be "hippy" too :P

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
BitWrangler,

The reason I laugh when people say that justin bieber or lady gaga are prodigies, is because, well, they don't show that they have any significant amount of talent. Justin bieber, writes songs about teenage puppy love, that any moron could write, and most of his songs are all done up, because when he sings live, it's god awful. Lady gaga, In my opinion, any "singer" that has to dress up like an ignorant fool to get peoples attention, then there is obviously something missing. Talent. Don't get me wrong, I am all about individuality, but it's gotten way out of hand. Her songs are disgusting. Did you watch the telephone? It really puzzles me. Why people have to be so dirty. Sure, Justin bieber can write some songs, and make some overly done soundtracks, but give him a guitar and ask him to play an E minor, and I bet you he wouldn't know how.

- Brooke

Well put! I most pop stars today cannot be considered musical prodigies simply because they aren't very good at music. Autotune is very popular these days, as well as lip-synching. I recall when that sort of thing used to be scandalous to use (Milli-vanilli anyone?). Why bother practicing and learning to sound good when you can have computers fix your issues? Why bother if you are talented and have a good voice when you can doctor it up to make it presentable?

I wouldn't use the term "prodigy" with these people, but the term "charlatan" comes to mind.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Morodiene
BitWrangler,

The reason I laugh when people say that justin bieber or lady gaga are prodigies, is because, well, they don't show that they have any significant amount of talent. Justin bieber, writes songs about teenage puppy love, that any moron could write, and most of his songs are all done up, because when he sings live, it's god awful. Lady gaga, In my opinion, any "singer" that has to dress up like an ignorant fool to get peoples attention, then there is obviously something missing. Talent. Don't get me wrong, I am all about individuality, but it's gotten way out of hand. Her songs are disgusting. Did you watch the telephone? It really puzzles me. Why people have to be so dirty. Sure, Justin bieber can write some songs, and make some overly done soundtracks, but give him a guitar and ask him to play an E minor, and I bet you he wouldn't know how.

- Brooke

Well put! I most pop stars today cannot be considered musical prodigies simply because they aren't very good at music. Autotune is very popular these days, as well as lip-synching. I recall when that sort of thing used to be scandalous to use (Milli-vanilli anyone?). Why bother practicing and learning to sound good when you can have computers fix your issues? Why bother if you are talented and have a good voice when you can doctor it up to make it presentable?

I wouldn't use the term "prodigy" with these people, but the term "charlatan" comes to mind.

Your both missing my point, which is, though they may make their living today as bubble gum artists, that doesn't mean that they were not "prodigies" as kids. Remember, the word does not reflect ones occupation, simply ones abilities. I'm sure that there are many "prodigies" doing things other than the activity that they were prodigies in, does that mean that they weren't prodigies? I think everyone here knows that being a "piano prodigy" as a kid doesn't necessarily translate into success as a concert pianist, so all those former prodigies are out there doing something to make a living, maybe even making millions of dollars dressing up in outlandish outfits and performing dance tunes.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene

If I eat too much pepperoni pizza, I'd be "hippy" too :P

You beat me to it! laugh

M
M
Originally Posted by bitWrangler

Your both missing my point, which is, though they may make their living today as bubble gum artists, that doesn't mean that they were not "prodigies" as kids. Remember, the word does not reflect ones occupation, simply ones abilities. I'm sure that there are many "prodigies" doing things other than the activity that they were prodigies in, does that mean that they weren't prodigies? I think everyone here knows that being a "piano prodigy" as a kid doesn't necessarily translate into success as a concert pianist, so all those former prodigies are out there doing something to make a living, maybe even making millions of dollars dressing up in outlandish outfits and performing dance tunes.

I see your point. I'm not up on what experts define "prodigy" as, but it seems from this thread that there are different uses for the same word. Here's merriam-webster's definition:
"an extraordinary, marvelous, or unusual accomplishment, deed, or event b : a highly talented child or youth." So in the a. version it can refer to anything that is extraordinary, and in the b. version, it refers only to a young person who is highly talented.

So it seems that "prodigy" can refer to an adult as well.

I do find it interesting to know that many child piano prodigies end up not becoming concert pianists, or that it seems things even out later on in their lives (they don't keep progressing at the rate at which they began) so that other talented but non-prodigy children may in fact end up surpassing them later on.

It makes me wonder if all the attention given to child prodigies is harmful and only something that very few can overcome (Beethoven and Mozart, for example). I'd be interested in learning more about this phenomenon.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission