2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,319 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Perhaps you can see playing and learning the piano AS a form of relaxation. By developing a sense that doing things you enjoy... perhaps it can provide a form of relaxation that will be of some help.

Exercise, reading, getting a massage, yoga, getting plenty of rest, eating well, etc., talking with others are all good things.

Dealing with tension and stress is a normal part of the human condition. There are lots of books and people with whom you can speak that that can help you broaden your perspective, and so it goes with the fine folks here that are providing you with some good advice about managing tension. Don't go it alone - otherwise it might take longer than you'd like to get a good balance and learning to manage stress/tension.

Whatever you do, be good to yourself and apply that to the piano.
Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Gyro
I completely disagree with this obsession with relaxation and
lack of tension at the piano. In my opinion, this is nothing
but a sham and a marketing ploy.

For me, the single most important thing that has helped me since starting lessons has been to relax my hands and arms. Nothing else comes remotely close to giving me improvement. And my teacher has never tried to blame everything on that - not even close.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
J
I have had a history of tension at the piano also, but I didn't notice it until I started practicing for more than an hour a day. If it's not manifesting itself into physical pain, then I don't see any reason to make a big fuss about it.

A better reason for working on your tension is to help you play more musically. If you have ever heard a tense pianist play versus a more natural pianist, then you are aware of the difference in sound.

The tension problem can stem from our desire for control, which causes the muscles to tighten. But, playing the piano is a very natural thing. Try allowing your body to react the way that it wants to. The wrist and forearm naturally want to shift from right to left, up and down, to help play a passage. These are some things to consider if you are interested in achieving a more pleasing sound at the keyboard.

OP Offline
Thank-you for the excellent suggestions, everyone smile

You've provided me with much helpful advice that will serve me well in the coming months and years.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by josephinechang
A better reason for working on your tension is to help you play more musically. If you have ever heard a tense pianist play versus a more natural pianist, then you are aware of the difference in sound.

The tension problem can stem from our desire for control, which causes the muscles to tighten. But, playing the piano is a very natural thing. Try allowing your body to react the way that it wants to. The wrist and forearm naturally want to shift from right to left, up and down, to help play a passage. These are some things to consider if you are interested in achieving a more pleasing sound at the keyboard.
Well said! So many miss that - the goal is not body oriented, it's artistically.

OP Offline
I realize that all forms of unnecessary tension are bad, but does tension in a given part of the body indicate a specific problem? My tension is in my shoulders; when it's especially bad it spreads to my neck and my upper back. My hands, wrists, and forearms are relatively free from tension.

Nevertheless, my finger joints do have a tendency to "catch"; that is, their range of motion is not always fluid and continuous. However, I had this problem before beginning to learn to play the piano, and it occurs with many of my other joints as well. It has gotten worse in recent years, though.

R
R
I'm not so sure it will help your joints, but you might like to look into Alexander Technique. It would certainly be very useful for your shoulders. I won't go into any detail because I only have a passing awareness of the subject, but I'm sure the internet has plenty of information on it somewhere. A general awareness of the technique might help you a little, even if you don't at this stage feel compelled to put in the significant time and financial investment for lessons.

J
J
Seeing an Alexander teacher is probably a good investment. The technique focuses on making gravity easier on your body by "relearning" the body the proper skeleton alignment. The goal is for the skeleton around the neck area and down to be formed like a straight line all the time in order handle the great impact of gravity. But for many of us it is often formed like an S (when we sit/stand hunched, or the head points slightly upwards) which takes a great toll on the muscles around the shoulder/neck area from the down push of gravity since the skeleton is no longer helping. The Alexander technique teaches the importance of the neck being free.

I had five lessons myself as shoulder tension was often what determined the length of a practise session for me and now there is very little shoulder tension when playing the piano. When I have tension in this area it is usually from an awkward sleeping position.

Thomas Mark's book, What Every Pianist Needs to Know about the Body, is also a great help for understanding the importance of skeleton alignment and the reasons for the body's maladjustment at times, why it tries to compensate the way it does. It can probably explain it in more detail than an Alexander teacher.

So many posters are chuffed to know that without tension you'd collapse in a heap, but how many know where that tension should reside?

T
T
I just got Thomas Mark's book and DVD, both entitled "What Every Pianist Should Know About ther Body". They are excellent! I recently developed tendonitis in my right forearm, which responded well to rest, acupuncture, and alternating hot and cold compresses, and I want to learn how to prevent a recurance. I have watched the DVD, and begun to explore the book, and I have already learned some things. As a former ballet dancer, I know the importance of correct alignment for enabling the best technique and preventing injury, and that is what Mark makes very clear. The book goes into more detail, but the DVD is really helpful. He demonstrates correct and incorrect alignment of the entire body using his own body, as well as life sized model skeletons of the spine and arm. There's nothing like good visual aid! I highly recommend these resources.

I prefer What Every Musician Needs To Know About The Body. Here's something I posted some time ago (http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/Post1302635)
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Pardon my poor graphics, but without tension of the flexors Thomas Mark's (of 'What Every Pianist Needs To Know About The Body' fame) marvelous arch collapses joint by joint upon meeting any resistance - I've done the first few for you:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hello,
I think the piano is probably what saved you. Otherwise you wouldn't be questioning and trying to fix your tension.

I grew up in a very tense environment and as a result of that I held my muscles very tightly. This caused me a lot of pain. I have done a number of things that have helped. 1. myofascial release. 2.yoga and qi gong 3. I did a lot of "mind" work and would read all kinds of books by people like Wayne Dyer, The Dalai Lama, Deepak or anything that presented itself to me. Also, there is a book called the feeling good handbook. It's really interesting because it explain all the types of thoughts that we have. Because sometimes we don't even realize how our thoughts are making up feel and effect us physically.

Finally, I am reading this book called Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner. Its a great book. I think you will enjoy it.

The piano can be your guide to making you aware of the progress you are making. Playing used to be uncomfortable for me. So I had to kind of go back and forth. But now I actually feel better after I play.

Good luck

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
P
P
I can relate to your problem. I'd found that really thinking before playing a note really helps. I also find that when I notice tension I need to relax straight away. Also, there are teachers who specilize in helping with tension. Google the alexander technique for more information.

Want a unique piano experience?
www.pianoonthenet.com
J
J
I sometimes can't play at all because of stress or tiredness but what works for me is to work on a piece or exercise or scale or whatever for intervals of 30 mins and rest of 5mins. I literally get up, stretch, drink something, do a yoga position, etc...

maybe it works for somebody else too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission