2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
Dear Andromaque,

He's Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He plays in my favorite movie.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
Prodigy = 90% nature & 10% nurture. Or something like that. Most prodigies are 'wired' that way. smile

Exactly. Thats what makes them prodigies...they are hard-wired at the factory with talent for the expertise in the field in which they excell.

"Prodigy: A highly talented child or youth". Merriam-Webster online dictionary

"Talent: the natural endowments of a person; a special often athletic, creative, or artistic aptitude ". Merriam-Webster online dictionary

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you truly want to understand conceptions of 'prodigy' there is a literature out there that is approachable.

An example:

Child Prodigies: A distinctive form of giftedness

I suspect Monica K. could also inform the discussion from direct professional reading.

C
C
Brooke Taylor, according to what you've said about yourself, you are probably the most talented pianist of all time, let alone a prodigy.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
If you can train seals to do amazing things, why not children? Yeah, I know, seals have the advantage of not being human, but still...

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm training my children to balance balls on their noses. The longer they can do it, the more fish I give them. Next comes playing "Three Blind Mice" on the bulb-horns.
laugh

Originally Posted by wr
If you can train seals to do amazing things, why not children? Yeah, I know, seals have the advantage of not being human, but still...

and as anyone who has had children likely will tell you, this can be a big advantage indeed. grin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by moscheles001
I'm training my children to balance balls on their noses. The longer they can do it, the more fish I give them. Next comes playing "Three Blind Mice" on the bulb-horns.
laugh

I bet that has taken more than 10 weeks! smile

H
H
Dear Brooke,

The terms 'prodigy' or 'talented' mean whatever you want them to mean, and have completely different meanings in the minds of different people.

The same concept applies for all people. Some will define 'really talented' as someone who can use 2 hands at the same time... others will only call 'really talented' as someone who can sight read beethoven..

So in response to your question... Yes a prodigy can be made and formed right now... In fact, I can make you one right now.

*I believe what you can do on the piano makes you a prodigy.*

Congratulations. You are prodigy in my mind. Now work on changing what prodigy means for you... until you believe you are one.

The point is, it's just a label. If you are one to me. You can be one to yourself, and you can be one to other people in the same way.

And then the penny drops... labels mean nothing but what you think they mean.

... such a vital organ
M
M
Originally Posted by hippymusicman
Dear Brooke,

The terms 'prodigy' or 'talented' mean whatever you want them to mean, and have completely different meanings in the minds of different people.

The same concept applies for all people. Some will define 'really talented' as someone who can use 2 hands at the same time... others will only call 'really talented' as someone who can sight read beethoven..

So in response to your question... Yes a prodigy can be made and formed right now... In fact, I can make you one right now.

*I believe what you can do on the piano makes you a prodigy.*

Congratulations. You are prodigy in my mind. Now work on changing what prodigy means for you... until you believe you are one.

The point is, it's just a label. If you are one to me. You can be one to yourself, and you can be one to other people in the same way.

And then the penny drops... labels mean nothing but what you think they mean.

I don't agree with the label you've given to the word "label". To me, labels mean something, otherwise why give it?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Some people insist that words can mean whatever anyone else says they mean. Yet, when they order a pizza with pepperoni, actually expect to get a pizza with pepperoni.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lets talk Tiger Woods....clearly he was his golf-loving father's "project". Fantastic golfer...fantastic person?

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
hippymusicman has a valid point here: what on earth does the term mean anyway? It's a continuum from dunce to prodigy, and in golfing terms Tiger Woods was clearly a prodigy, but it's all a moot point once you're into adolescence and heading toward adulthood: Tiger Woods does not win EVERY tournament in which he competes....

so at best this label is one that applies for a short while before you reach maturity, and then says nothing much about anything apart from your past.....

there are plenty of studies showing that prodigy is almost completely a matter of time spent (the 10,000 hours thing is part of these research findings), but of course, it's a rare 3 year old who wants to spend hours a day doing the same narrow range of activities....

aspiring to prodigy seems to have it the wrong way about.... and may be why it is so rare for a prodigy to be happy....

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
Some people insist that words can mean whatever anyone else says they mean. Yet, when they order a pizza with pepperoni, actually expect to get a pizza with pepperoni.

Indeed.

No, I don't think hippymusicman makes a valid point at all, unless you think language itself is meaningless.

People may not have noticed, but as I posted above, there is a sizable literature on this notion of 'prodigy.' You cannot have a meaningful discussion unless you are fairly precise about terms. I guess those of you who think all conceptions like this are meaningless likely think all science is just babble too, because every label just means something different to every person. Genuine communication requires a common understanding of terms, or at least a common understanding of why people are defining terms differently.

M
M
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

Indeed.

No, I don't think hippymusicman makes a valid point at all, unless you think language itself is meaningless.

People may not have noticed, but as I posted above, there is a sizable literature on this notion of 'prodigy.' You cannot have a meaningful discussion unless you are fairly precise about terms. I guess those of you who think all conceptions like this are meaningless likely think all science is just babble too, because every label just means something different to every person. Genuine communication requires a common understanding of terms, or at least a common understanding of why people are defining terms differently.

Well said, both of you!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I was taking as read that hippymusicman has invalid points.

The valid point is that the label 'prodigy' signifies little of consequence, particularly in the context of this discussion which asks not for evidence or research-based findings but your own thoughts. And one gets the impression that the question is not being asked in order to find the results of academic research in this field.

Brooke - are you interested in the research into high achievement in specific skill acquisition in young children, or are you wondering if you might be a prodigy yourself (and if not, how to become one)? Cos there's some good research out there that answers these questions, and it comes down to effort matched with appropriately focussed family support, and starting young enough.

Although there are some visual artists who take up painting in their dotage to great acclaim - do we regard these as 'prodigies'?

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
OP Offline
Dear cast12,

I think I am FAR from the most talented pianist of all time. Nor a prodigy! What makes you think that? Haha.

OP Offline
Hello Elissa!

No, I am not wondering if I am a prodigy. I just find the topic to be very fascinating! I don't even know if I am or not. My guess, is no. I just love playing!

-Brooke

OP Offline
I agree with Morodiene! Well said!

OP Offline
WinsomeAllegretto,

You have a good point. That is what I think. Thanks for answering!

-Brooke

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission