2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
is it 'color' for american english and 'coloUr' for british and australian english?

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
using black and grey? similar to the kind of grey used for ossia?

What's ossia? wikipedia says it's an "alternate" passage or something...?

Also, my sequencer currently only displays piano roll notation:
http://pianocheater.com/screenshot.html

I'll be adding standard(-ISH!) notation.
Tough row to hoe, but I'm gonna do it !!

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
and wow, talk about pwn the newb, i'm goin back the the adult beginner's forum laugh

Q
Q
I wonder if anyone has tried one grand staff for piano music. I feel like it would significantly more difficult to read music. With 5 lines, it's not hard to determine position. But with the 11 lines (need one for middle C, assuming we keep the same range) of one grand staff, the middle lines would become a blur to me.

The color topic seems to have already been addressed, Henle editions are already expensive enough, we don't want them to get more expensive! smile

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Stephen Hazel
Wow!

Ok, black is good.

I can deal with black laugh

But, for the record:
- I never said nothin bout printing. [...]

Well, yeah, ya sorta did, ya know?

"Is there a particular reason why sheet music has stayed black through the ages even with the advent of colored ink, colored printing, computers, cheap colored printers, monster sized flat screens, 3d ray traced computer games... (need i go on?)

(Bolds are my emphasis). I wouldn't say that mentioning "colored ink," "colored printing," "cheap colored printers" is saying nothing about printing!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
[quote=Stephen Hazel]Well, yeah, ya sorta did, ya know?

guilty as charged.

So are you folks tryin to tell me that you're fine with black?
It's not cleeeeeeeeear to me...

Ok, I'll shut up bout that now smile

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I have an edition of the Webern Variations which puts all of Webern's markings in colors around the original printed score (which is in black). Very interesting to see and easy to follow actually..

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by al-mahed
is it 'color' for american english and 'coloUr' for british and australian english?

Yes. Like neighbor/neighbour etc.

I have just found this link for you... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stephen Hazel
Originally Posted by Canonie
using black and grey? similar to the kind of grey used for ossia?

What's ossia? wikipedia says it's an "alternate" passage or something...?

Yes. You usually find above a passage (as an alternative).

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

M
M
Originally Posted by al-mahed

I would call 'colour' etc. International English, rather than British English. There are a lot more English speakers who use the 'colour' spelling outside Britain than within it.

About 220 million Indians are English speakers (with standard international spelling rules), though not necessarily as their first language. Nigeria has another 80 million. There are about 60 million in the UK.

Last edited by mric; 07/21/10 05:35 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Am I allowed to actually PREFER black&White (broken white, not pure white) over a coloured score, please? I largely prefer it, as I prefer in some forms of art the scetch form, rather than the fully coloured speed painting (for example).

E
E
Well, for one thing, if everything were on one stave, it would be incredibly complicated.

And, not trying to turn this into a flame war on spelling, the English English spelling of words such as 'colour', 'honour' and 'realise' is the correct spelling.
In the same way that the way French words are spelt in France is the correct way for the French language.

Repertoire:
Complete:
Beethoven- Op 27/2 'Moonlight' Mvt.1
Beethoven - Op 13 'Pathetique' Mvt.2
D
D
The font color on this forum is an example of why sheet music is printed in black. It is more difficult to read this dark taupe color than black print.

Someone brought up the idea of contrast, too, which is also very important. The best quality scores aren't black and white, they're black and off-white, which remains clear while being easier on the eyes. Henle, Vienna Urtext, Schott, Durand, etc... Paper quality is also very important. A flat, cheap piece of printer paper isn't nearly as easy to read as something with some weight and texture.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
As suggested by most ... black on white (or off-white ... thanks Kreisler) ... has proved itself over many years to be easiest on the eyes and to register.

Why want to fix it ... when it's not broke?

S
S
Emphursis1: Are you from the UK? It sounds as if you are from another European country?

There is no such thing as "English English". The UK does not have an official dictionary, word list or style guide. The most widely known dictionaries and style guides - those by Oxford University Press - contradict the conventions used by the BBC and by Her Majesty on a number of issues, especially the spelling of words of Greek origin ending in -ise or -ize.

This doesn't mean that you can just mix and match any spelling you like. You must choose a system of usage and spelling appropriate to the social "class" that you wish to associate yourself with, learn all the explicit and implicit rules, and apply it consistently.

P
P
If the grand staff remained as it is now but ledger lines between the two staves weren't used (apart from middle C obviously) that could simplify things somewhat. I guess some engravers already do something similar as it's really just a matter of style. On a Bach fugue I can see having the hands clearly separated being helpful but I hate having to read 4 or 5 ledger lines above the bass clef in a Scriabin piece.

On the other hand ledger lines aren't too big a problem as they can be memorised just like all the other notes on the staff. Perhaps things should just stay as they are.

Would be nice if all young kids were given a basic music reading education. Not that it will happen - even decent handwriting and spelling don't seem to be taught anymore.

E
E
I meant the English spoken in England (namely Queens English)

Repertoire:
Complete:
Beethoven- Op 27/2 'Moonlight' Mvt.1
Beethoven - Op 13 'Pathetique' Mvt.2
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by DianneB
The font color on this forum is an example of why sheet music is printed in black. It is more difficult to read this dark taupe color than black print.

You can change the font color (colour!) on your screen.
Go to
- "My Stuff," then go to
- "My Preferences," then go to
- "Your preferred style sheet"
and experiment with the choices.

I have chosen "Pastel" mainly because it present black text on a white background.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I could see some advantage in marking different voices through some scores, each with its own color. Certainly I use a highlighter when studying text, and it seems to me that marking music for structure could also be a good use of the highlighter.

In printed words, it might be interesting if the passages were printed in the color of their emotional or expressive content. You could use the size of the print to indicate the volume, too.

Of course, as has been pointed out, it would come at a considerable cost of money, and --- as has not been pointed out--- it would sacrifice the charm of ambiguity. It might also impair our ability to garner clues from the context.

I have some little trouble reading print where the letters are randomly scattered in color; also when the print is reversed in color or printed in a face and color that lacks contrast, or where the paper reflects surface glare too easily. A score can have all these problems. After all, when we read words, words are what the mind sees (not so much letter-by-letter), and the same is true for musical 'words.' We try to see the sense of the whole glyph at once, not the 'letters.'

But if using color helps you, I say, mark away and good luck to you with it.

You mentioned gray print--- I have some Alfred editions that do use this convention to call out editorial content. It is fairly helpful that way.

Clef

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission