2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 127 of 136 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 135 136
S
S
Sounds like I should pay Asia Piano a visit, trying to replace a small old Schimmel. Maybe they'll have a larger second hand Schimmel, my son seems quite attached to the richer tone.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sonq
I came to this forum a year back and have tried a few piano since, including the much touted Hailun.

Felt most comfortable with Mr Kwan from E&S and left my contact 2 or 3 times for certain models but have yet to get a single call back. Maybe I should just move on.

Besides E&S, may I know if there are any reliable used piano dealers. Tried Music Clef at Suntec, but the lady is quite pushy & blunt, don't like this type of shop.

I can't understand any type of business that doesn't have the common sense to follow up on somebody who is obviously interested in possibly giving them some business.
That has happened to me many times in many different types of transactions and it is incomprehensible to me.
If they don't show any interest then I simply take my money elsewhere.

Last edited by Sparky McBiff; 04/24/10 08:18 AM.
T
T
Song, I'm looking to sell my Schimmel C124, only 2 years old. Let me know if you're interested (or anyone else for that matter).

A
A
I am new as I`ve been playin on an old keyboard for leisure for few years. I took up piano lessons for about 2 years and realise that I`m gonna need a Piano. After Browsing around this forum i found that Yamaha/Hailum has the best rep. But i still got confused.

My budget is within 5k
Is cristofori 131md a good choice?
I seem to like how it sounds compared to weber and other models, especially its tall height ;p
I would appreciate if any of u could list me some factors that i should consider before buying my first piano =D.

F
F
I believe Cristofori uprights are made by Pearl River or Samick and their Grands by Young Chang, but it changes fairly often so there's no good way of telling.

Best to test for yourself how it sounds and feels. You should try also the Kayserburg at the same store, and Hailun for your budget, as well as some of the second hand pianos. You may want to read one of my earlier replies to a member with similar questions.

Test a variety of works. Try playing soft and loud, and a variety of scales. Also, if it's very loud in the showroom, it's going to be even louder at home.

Don't worry too much about the height really or marketing stuff like 'upright grand' (which just means height in most cases). It generally means nothing, the height is useful only insofar as it gives more space for a better sound.

In progress

Beethoven: Op 109, Op 110
L
L
Halo..i am new here. Same thing again for most mothers. Am thinking of getting a piano for my kid who had just started learning. Not sure where his interest really lies, but i seriously considering getting a piano.

Within very tight budget (1k to 4k)

1) New Hailun HL125
2) Used 10 yr Bohemia 109cm
3) Used 3 yr Weber 121cm ..

Would appreciate your kind comments as i am totally new to piano.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Egads - This thread was initiated in October 2006 !!!!

Nothing against our friends in Singapore, but perhaps the thread has served its useful life....or am I treading on sacred ground????? smokin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
B
Originally Posted by LUCKYANLI
Halo..i am new here. Same thing again for most mothers. Am thinking of getting a piano for my kid who had just started learning. Not sure where his interest really lies, but i seriously considering getting a piano.

Within very tight budget (1k to 4k)

1) New Hailun HL125
2) Used 10 yr Bohemia 109cm
3) Used 3 yr Weber 121cm ..

Would appreciate your kind comments as i am totally new to piano.

A 1k budget is really very tight. I was in the same situation as you a few months back, but I started with a 2k budget. Couldn't find any decent sounding pianos at 2k.

I feel decent sound is important to motivate a learner. In the end I up my budget and got the Hailun HL125, which to me was the best sounding one at that price range that I could afford.

From my experience during my piano shopping, the sound of a 109cm height piano would not sound like a 120+cm height piano. None of the below 120cm piano sounded good to me.

So do take your time to test out the pianos, and I think the general good advice I got from this forum is to buy the best that you can afford. If you can afford 1k-4k, go for 4k if possible, and get the best you can find at that price.

L
L
Thanks Bet Bet..

Will test out the HL 125 and see how i feel about whole piano.
Whereas for Bohemia , heard its quite a good piano, but didn't try on the piano as yet.

I do agree a 120+ definitely sounded better than an 109.

Carey,

I do agree this thread is way too long. But it had provided usedful info on piano that we as beginner can lean on.

F
F
Bohemia is an excellent make, but at the same time, there are design limitations with a shorter height piano, e.g. action and sound (due to string length).

I think Betbet's advice is a good one. You may also want to look at some of the used pianos also at Asia Piano and Emmanuel and Sons, as I mentioned earlier.

In progress

Jay Offline
in theory taller piano should be better but that doesnt means that shorter piano cannot be better than taller piano. a small quality designed piano (having all the three important criteria - good scale design, good material, good workmanship) can be anytime better than a medium poorly designed tall piano. quality of a tone does not always depends to the height of the piano. and taller piano doesnt improve tone quality but merely volume.

that why when u play a yamaha 109, it sounds so horrible as compare to the other brother like the U1. discordant sounds in small pianos can be cover-up by the tall pianos via volume. anyways, my favourite K110 knight

Y
Y
hi new here, is it worth it to get a 20+ years old yamaha E116 upright for S$600???

A
A
hi all,

i m new here... picking up piano recently and i have got myself a kawai k5 and it was delivered yesterday... YEAH! i am very excited and waiting for my piano teacher to come next sat. Just want to share my job. smile

I don't know what this thread is all about [at this point..] but I guess it's about pianos.

I heard several names mentioned along the way in seeming adoration, so may I mention another one:

Ritmueller.

Redesigned by German designer whiz Lothar Thomma.

Should you agree with "wunderbar", remember Norbert told you so....

Norbert wink

F
F
Oh yes, and it's called Kayserburg in Singapore and available for sale in Cristofori music (which also sells pianos from Young Chang under its house name...)

In progress

Z
Z
Hi all! smile

I want to buy a piano with a budget of about SGD3k+
Low budget coz I am still a poor poor student and this amount is already draining me of my life savings -.-

I am looking for a made-in-japan piano probably Yamaha or Kawai since I heard they are value for money and I am just in love with many things japanese wink

By the way, I have only just started learning piano so I know nuts about buying a piano that could last me till grade 8.
Would love some advice from all of you!

Thank you!! grin

G
G
Hi,

I'm getting a piano for my gal who's just started on piano.

I was told that Bohemia piano cannot last long in our hot and humid weather and was advised to get a Yamaha/Kawaii. Is that true? If that's the case, all european pianos will have same the problem!

Appreciate advice. Thanks.

F
F
That is not true. Most pianos last a long time if well taken care of. They are fairly durable objects.

Yamaha/Kawai do have a good reputation for reliability, and their dealers have been around for a long time. Yamaha, for example, is well known for standing by their product. That being said, they are not the only ones who stand behind their product.

Look for a piano that sounds and feels good to you, within your budget, and from a place that is likely to provide good after sales support. Maintain it well, and it will probably serve you for a long long time!

In progress

Where is Snoopycar, Digitus, Roxane, Wzkit etc? All busy practising?

Nepotism: We promote family values here - almost as often as we promote family members.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Hello all, I am here again. Have been vanished from this forum for quite some time.

I will be making a trip to Singapore next week and I figure that I have plenty of free time and will like to try out some of the better pianos that are not available in Malaysia.

I will be staying around Nanyang Tech Uni (will be attending my cousin's convocation) so any ideas if which stores should I visit, and as many as possible.

Well, probably due to import duty, I don't think I will be purchasing a piano instead, but more to testing and experiencing.

So, where to visit?

Last edited by tanjinjack; 07/21/10 08:27 AM.
Page 127 of 136 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission