2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Hello, my name is Brooke Taylor. I am fourteen years old, and I have been playing piano for 10 weeks. So far, I can play 2 pages of Beethoven's Pathetique (Mov 1) all of Raindrop Prelude, Prelude and Fugue no.2 from the Well Tempered Clavier book 1 by Bach, the August Rush theme song, and part of Ballade Op.10 no.1 by Brahms, and the first page of Unsospiro by Liszt. I want to go to Juilliard when I get older, what pieces do you recommend I learn now at my level?

B
B
If you want to even think about going to Juilliard, you need a teacher first, and judging from what you've played.. you don't have one.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I second Butters' suggestion. You will need a teacher's guidance. Being able to play the first page or two of something is generally not an indication you can play the whole thing. A good teacher will assign music that you can enjoy just as much but also be able to play it well. He or she can also teach you all-important practice techniques so that you can learn the music with more efficiency. At 14 and only playing for 10 weeks, you have a ways to go yet. Other students auditioning for Julliard will have been studying piano at least since they were 7 or 8. This is not to discourage you, but to encourage you to get to a teacher ASAP to help you prepare.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Yes, I do have a teacher, and a composition and theory teacher also. I am just wondering, what do you mean by "and judging from what you've played"?

-Brooke

B
B
What I mean by that, is I can't see why a teacher would assign you pieces that you can only partially play, as in the Pathetique and Un Sospiro. Both of those pieces, especially the Liszt, strike me as being very very inappropriate if you've only been play for ten weeks, and I don't see why a teacher would assign them to you.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Just based on your repertoire....you're far behind those who will be applying for Julliard. You will need a lot of hard work (maybe up to 4-6 hours a day if you're serious), a lot of passion, an excellent teacher, luck, and again, a LOT of hard work.

You'll also have to listen to a lot of stuff to get a sense of how the masters perform music, get a general sense of style, and broaden your musical horizons by exposing you to more music.

Good luck, I wish you all the best.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

OP Offline
Thank you butters109 for explaining! I started Pathetique on my own. My teacher has never heard me even play it before. I am just working on it for fun, because I just started 10 weeks ago, and I feel so rushed. Like I have to learn this stuff quickly. I'm way ahead of the baby stuff. Un sospiro too, I started by myself, and played it for my teacher, she thinks I could learn it, and we're working on it now.

- Brooke

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brooke Taylor
Yes, I do have a teacher, and a composition and theory teacher also. I am just wondering, what do you mean by "and judging from what you've played"?

-Brooke

A good teacher wouldn't be giving those pieces to a beginner who's been playing for less than 3 months.

OP Offline
Well, Kuanpiano, I am certainly not looking to audition right now! I meant to say, in 10 years or so. Sorry for not adding it. I love the piano, and I practice 5+ hours a day. My composition & theory teacher is a graduate from Juilliard, and my piano teacher is the best in the area. Thank you for answering my question! I need all the advice I can get!

OP Offline
Phlebas, please read my response to butters!

OP Offline
Thanks Morodiene!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Phlebas, please read my response to butters!

Cross posted. Glad to hear your teacher didn't assign that stuff.
What music has your teacher assigned?
Also, it's great to read through some of those pieces you listed. You'll learn a lot that way. Do a lot of listening to, and not just piano. I wish they had Youtube when I was 14.

I am just working on it for fun, because I just started 10 weeks ago, and I feel so rushed.

The best thing I can recommend is to relax. Take your time to develop a technical foundation, but also study the music with great detail. Push yourself to get better, but be aware that rushing through this process leads to two major problems: physical injuries and musical immaturity.

Mason & Hamlin Artist
OP Offline
My teacher has assigned me to work on Raindrop Prelude, and on the side we are just working a little bit on Un sospiro. She is helping me with the fingering, technique, etc. Mainly the Raindrop prelude though. I have mastered it I think. I am playing it for my winter recital. She thinks that I should wait on a lot of the stuff that I am getting excited about, and want to learn now. Mainly because I am asking her if I can play pieces such as Brahms Rhapsody in G minor op.79 no.2! I also am dying to learn how play Winter Wind etude, by Chopin. But I know that is a little advanced for me! I just get so excited, I feel that I need to become very good, very fast. I push myself very hard. I am so determined to go to Juilliard when I am older. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.

-Brooke

Last edited by Brooke Taylor; 07/19/10 10:58 PM.
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice Doctor Fugue!

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I understand where you're coming from.. I was younger than you when I started and was pushing myself even more. But I didn't go straight for the hardest pieces I could find.. I started with Schubert Impromptus, learned Beethoven's Pathetique slow movement and rondo, Chopin's easier Preludes, some Nocturnes, some Waltzes.. Liszt's Consolation No. 3.. Grillen and Warum? from Schumann's Fantasiestucke. I feel like these are the key pieces that shaped my musical thinking.

Q
Q
First of all, major congratulations for what you've already accomplished. It certainly took me longer than 10 weeks at the keyboard to reach the level to play the raindrop prelude.

Perhaps echoing what other people have said here, motivation and goals are great, but don't push yourself too hard. Reaching for the most difficult pieces too early can cause a lot of frustration, irritation, and technical problems if you don't have the foundation to approach the pieces.

I think your teacher (who seems to be very accomplished) will have the best ideas for you concerning repertoire choice, he or she probably knows you and your playing the best.

C
C
Am I the only one who is incredulous of the OP's progress?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
My teacher has assigned me to work on Raindrop Prelude, and on the side we are just working a little bit on Un sospiro. She is helping me with the fingering, technique, etc. Mainly the Raindrop prelude though. I have mastered it I think. I am playing it for my winter recital. She thinks that I should wait on a lot of the stuff that I am getting excited about, and want to learn now. Mainly because I am asking her if I can play pieces such as Brahms Rhapsody in G minor op.79 no.2! I also am dying to learn how play Winter Wind etude, by Chopin. But I know that is a little advanced for me! I just get so excited, I feel that I need to become very good, very fast. I push myself very hard. I am so determined to go to Juilliard when I am older. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.

-Brooke

What strikes me is that there is little technical foundation, as others have said. Why not play Bach? And, I do not recommend Winter Wind by Chopin, it is VERY advanced. Still, good job on your current repertoire.

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by cast12
Am I the only one who is incredulous of the OP's progress?

no you are not, haha

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission