2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Great post BitWrangler smile

Greater than some, perhaps not as great as others. I say that based on my own perception of what a good post is, from my own personality and likes and dislikes. In other words, my opinion.

[those are still allowed, right? ;)]

Last edited by Morodiene; 07/12/10 05:54 PM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bitWrangler
Originally Posted by hippymusicman
I don't like to have a rating system. Because a rating system holds no purpose. In my mind, nobody is better than anybody. Everybody is as they are.

Well you may want to think that, but there are certainly certain "ratings" that are quantitative measures (e.g. faster) where there are people that are "better" than other people. As well, even with piano there are more quantitative measures, e.g. "person A is better at playing the music as written than person B", and I'm not talking about minor variances, the _fact_ is that my daughter can play Clair de Lune "better" than I can (considering I can't play it at all). And again, careful not to be exclusive in your inclusiveness. Though you claim ratings hold no purpose, that obviously is not true since by making that statement you are assigning value to a particular belief over another, you've "rated" them and choose the one that was "better" for you. Human beings label, rate, make assumptions, etc because that's the way our grey matter works (yours too).

wow Guess you told him.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Dang this thread still going?!!?! Hippy music, go play some Jimi Hendrix and get "Experienced"

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Actually, some Grateful Dead might just be the thing you need.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by eweiss
You didn't cross 'the' line HM, you crossed his line. I don't have a problem with what you wrote because I understand you wanted to open up discussion. You just didn't do it in the way some might approve of. Good for you. Keep posting and don't let other's opinions or deragatory comments sway you.

Thank you.

... such a vital organ
H
OP Offline
H
Real discussion! grin

Well you may want to think that, but there are certainly certain "ratings" that are quantitative measures (e.g. faster) where there are people that are "better" than other people. As well, even with piano there are more quantitative measures, e.g. "person A is better at playing the music as written than person B", and I'm not talking about minor variances, the _fact_ is that my daughter can play Clair de Lune "better" than I can (considering I can't play it at all). And again, careful not to be exclusive in your inclusiveness. Though you claim ratings hold no purpose, that obviously is not true since by making that statement you are assigning value to a particular belief over another, you've "rated" them and choose the one that was "better" for you. Human beings label, rate, make assumptions, etc because that's the way our grey matter works (yours too).

I do not make any connection between the speed someone can play at and the term 'better'.. similarly I don't make a connection between the ability to process notated music more fluently and faster with the word 'better'. Songs are not better or worse, they just cause different reactions in people. But that isn't to say one is better... To label one song with 'better' is to unnecessarily give it a greater sense of value, in doing so giving others a lesser sense of value...

The same principal applies with beliefs. I have not rated them better or worse. They are not right or wrong... they just react differently in different people. They make me react a certain way, but the way in which I act is not then better or worse or right or wrong, It just IS.

The "ego" is not just a defense mechanism nor is it's only purpose to "separate one being from another". The more extremes of the word may imply this (e.g. "egotistical", "ego maniacal") but the word ego by itself does not necessarily.

Ego - "an inflated feeling of pride in your superiority to others." It's not exactly a defense mechanism... but I believe it can have its own entity and a lot of people have created a sense of self through it... therefor when the ego is threatened it instinctively defends.

A good e.g: If I said "I believe the best way to learn piano is through taking heroin and smoking weed and I have learned this way and I am able to do this and play that" to somebody who has created a strong sense of identity through their beliefs about piano.. (assume that I then played something beautiful) The person's ego can easily feel attacked and start the battle process, even though I was simply stating what I believed in, my story and what I was capable of...

The ego labels these things with right and wrong because it wants to be right. It will likely try to dismiss my belief instead of understand it. Without a strong ego, the response to my proposed beliefs and story would be non responsive and might even be considered interesting.

Of course, my story could definitely be perceived as egoistic... but it takes 2 strong egos to start an ego battle.

As someone else has mentioned, someone calling you "a genius" or "attractive" is relative to the person assigning you those labels only. If someone is inclined to use such terminology because it describes the context in which they've assigned particular attributes they perceive in you why is that somehow related to your particular reaction. Are you also implying that you don't find anyone or anything more attractive/beautiful/aesthetically pleasing than anything/one else? Do you never have the emotion of "admiration"? Do you honestly get the same emotion from every single piece of music you listen to?

I couldn't digest the first big question... could you rephrase it?
I'm implying that I find all things equally as beautiful.. and external things like physical beauty are now close to meaningless. I do feel admiration towards others.. I feel attracted to women.. but image has become a very small part of it. And I get a different emotion from each peace of music I listen to.

... such a vital organ
H
OP Offline
H
Just because a baby can assign the label to you, it doesn't make the label itself meaningless. In the context of the baby, you _are_ a musical genius. It sounds like the concept that you are discounting is that the majority of labels are relative and contextual. If a pauper considers me rich and a billionaire considers me poor, does it make either label meaningless, no, in each context they are correct. If you use measurable labels (e.g. poor = those making below 50% of average median income) then you can ascribe a less relativistic label.

Each label, and the definition of the label, exists only in the mind of whoever is labeling. You may not consider yourself 'rich'... but a starving, homeless person might consider you far beyond 'rich'.

In your mind you can either think like a poorer man and label yourself 'rich' or think like a richer man and label yourself 'poor'. Either way, the label means nothing more than what you think it means.

The idea is to stop labeling things and just let them be as they are. No right, wrong, better, worse.

...to make an all encompassing statement "All labels" actually defeats your argument vs "proving" it. Not all, and let's be specific here, self ascribed labels are for "self satisfaction", to say so shows a lack of understanding of human nature and human interaction (and forum rules wink ).

You have suggested what labels are not... ?!

But you're not saying "the sky is red", you're saying "the sky has no color and any attempt to label it a particular color is wrong". We can talk about more concrete measurements (e.g. light wavelength) and then we can come to an agreement about what labels we decide to assign those wavelengths and then we can agree on a particular label to use.

I'm not saying 'the sky has no colour'. The labels 'Blue' and 'Red' mean what we think it means. We associate the label with the colour that we see. The meaning of the label exists in our minds.

If somebody else learned the colours differently, (our colour 'blue', is actually 'Blag' or 'Green' for that matter) they would only appear to be 'wrong' to someone who learned the standard colours. So in that sense they are not 'wrong' they are just different.

But you yourself are doing exactly what you are ascribing to others. You are making assumptions based purely on "labels" on how people view themselves. You say if one uses labels that one must be a certain way, you've now "labeled" them based on external criteria (posts on this forum). People use from 0 to (n) number of criteria when it comes to "judging" things, external factors play a part in this as well as "internal" factors. Different people have different weights on each of those factors. Why is being attracted to someone for their "sense of humor" any better or worse than liking someone for the shape of their body? Either way some criterion is used to make an assessment that will eventually end up excluding some and including others?

I have not classified or labeled 'them' as people.
We are sharing beliefs. The more the beliefs are attached to each person's sense of self, the more it feels like they are being judged and classified personally.

I did not use the word 'must' like you suggested.

Liking somebody for their sense of humour is equally as external as liking somebody for their appearance.

If we are able to see past external things, nobody gets excluded.

And lastly, what about human nature leads you to believe that any type of focus on "non-external" attributes will lead to "no more competing, no more pain, no more self consciousness"? So if I focus on someones belief system or skills of logical analysis that will make me not want to classify, categorize, label, like, dislike them? I think that will not be the eventual outcome.

'Beliefs' and 'skills' are also external.

It's very hard to explain 'internal'.
All you can do is explain what it is not.

It's what is left when you can clearly acknowledge all the activity that goes on in the brain.
The observer of the thoughts is the internal one.

"I" am separate from my thoughts.

... such a vital organ
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
An observation: the only basis we have for preferring one person's company from another person's company is external data.

Another observation: the more research that is done into the human brain the more intriguing it is to think about where the non-external self resides. We know that nutrition controls mood, electrical impluses change our inclinations, posture impacts on emotional response, and most interestingly of all - it seems that our bodies begin to act just ever so slightly before our brain decides, which begs many questions regarding what free will, agency and consciousness are.

I doubt that any of us can clearly acknowledge all the activity that goes on in the brain, therefore we can never distinguish what is internal and what is external.

This is not my belief, hippymusicman. This is the application of deductive reasoning to the available data as relating to your assertions regarding what is. Because I am confident in the data and I am confident in the reasoning, I hold this view until new data or better reasoning enter my awareness.

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
M
M
Just because a baby can assign the label to you, it doesn't make the label itself meaningless. In the context of the baby, you _are_ a musical genius. It sounds like the concept that you are discounting is that the majority of labels are relative and contextual. If a pauper considers me rich and a billionaire considers me poor, does it make either label meaningless, no, in each context they are correct. If you use measurable labels (e.g. poor = those making below 50% of average median income) then you can ascribe a less relativistic label.

Each label, and the definition of the label, exists only in the mind of whoever is labeling. You may not consider yourself 'rich'... but a starving, homeless person might consider you far beyond 'rich'.

In your mind you can either think like a poorer man and label yourself 'rich' or think like a richer man and label yourself 'poor'. Either way, the label means nothing more than what you think it means.

In your world, how can you communicate if words have no meaning? I guess Meriam Webster had it all wrong when he wrote the dictionary.

Just because some adjectives require a comparison of those in one's area (i.e., rich in comparison to those in that person's economic region), does not mean they therefore have no meaning. They have context.

rich
   /rɪtʃ/
–adjective
having wealth or great possessions; abundantly supplied with resources, means, or funds; wealthy: a rich man; a rich nation.

If I practice to "get better" at piano, it is a comparison to oneself. Better than whom? Better than yourself the day before practicing. They are not meaningless words, in fact, the are very descriptive words that helps the person listening understand more about the person being talked about.

If I say I have a rich friend, then the listener can infer that this person in particular has more money than I. That is not meaningless, just the opposite! It can create a lot of subcontext for the listener: in what way were those words said? Are they jealous of their friend? Are they proud of their friend? Or was it said without any such emotion to lead you to think that the disparity between the friend's financial situation and the speaker's is of no consequence to their relationship?

How can you say this has no meaning? This is taking post modernism to its most ridiculous conclusion.

The idea is to stop labeling things and just let them be as they are. No right, wrong, better, worse.

Why? What's wrong with describing something and providing context? Whoops, there's one of those words we're not supposed to use, and yet, you are saying that it's wrong to use them just the same. Obviously, they *do* have meaning.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
... and most interestingly of all - it seems that our bodies begin to act just ever so slightly before our brain decides

I am often made keenly aware of this phenomenon. Being a slightly anxious type of person, if I hear any sudden bang, I always jump - what I've noticed on several occasions is that I jump before I consciously register the sound itself.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
I doubt that any of us can clearly acknowledge all the activity that goes on in the brain, therefore we can never distinguish what is internal and what is external.

This is not my belief, hippymusicman. This is the application of deductive reasoning to the available data as relating to your assertions regarding what is. Because I am confident in the data and I am confident in the reasoning, I hold this view until new data or better reasoning enter my awareness.

But that is a belief... you believe nobody can clearly focus on the brains activity. Because of a lack of data and reasoning.

For what it's worth, and you can chose to believe me or not, I believe focusing on the brains activity is possible because I have been doing it through meditation. I can work at separating myself from my thoughts, to a point where I am experiencing a sense of joy from simply existing.. there is gratitude for every moment witnessed.. and all emotional pain has been greatly diminished.. little or no self conscious, little or no underlying sense of fear... no sense of regret or anxiety. I have an underlying deep sense of innerpeace, while happy/sad events happen on the surface..

Whether you chose to enter that into your awareness or not. I don't really mind. understandably it's far from 'data'. But If it does start to interest you, meditation is where I started exploring the idea.

... such a vital organ
B
B

Each label, and the definition of the label, exists only in the mind of whoever is labeling.

Yes, but it seems like you are drawing a false conclusion from this. So long as there is reasonable consensus between people as to the definition of such labels, then they can have as much meaning as any other words in our language.

You seem to credit people with far less intelligence than they deserve with regard to their ability to understand the relativistic nature of such labels.

Let us clarify that this is 'your' idea, not 'the' idea. I am comfortable with the idea of gradation and classification, where I deem it to be appropriate. Just because it can be difficult to say exactly where a specific concept lies on a scale such as right/wrong, this does not render the concepts themselves as obsolete - rather it simply means that their meaning is best left to intuition and experience.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Morodiene
If I say I have a rich friend, then the listener can infer that this person in particular has more money than I. That is not meaningless, just the opposite! It can create a lot of subcontext for the listener: in what way were those words said? Are they jealous of their friend? Are they proud of their friend? Or was it said without any such emotion to lead you to think that the disparity between the friend's financial situation and the speaker's is of no consequence to their relationship?

How can you say this has no meaning? This is taking post modernism to its most ridiculous conclusion.

The label 'rich' is still meaningless to me. If somebody says "my friend is rich" I still have to know what their definition of rich is before I know how much money their friend has. If a child said "my friend is rich" it might mean he has $3.

So the label 'rich' is nothing until you define the label for yourself. All I can define it as is "ownership of any amount of material possessions".

You're all 'rich'.. and 'poor'.

Originally Posted by Morodiene

Why? What's wrong with describing something and providing context? Whoops, there's one of those words we're not supposed to use, and yet, you are saying that it's wrong to use them just the same. Obviously, they *do* have meaning.

haha! I laughed at this. Because there is absolutely nothing wrong with it! I didn't say you wern't supposed to use them, I was just expressing an idea that you don't have to use them..

... such a vital organ
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Ben Crosland

Let us clarify that this is 'your' idea, not 'the' idea. I am comfortable with the idea of gradation and classification, where I deem it to be appropriate. Just because it can be difficult to say exactly where a specific concept lies on a scale such as right/wrong, this does not render the concepts themselves as obsolete - rather it simply means that their meaning is best left to intuition and experience.

'The' Idea that I'm playing with:
Attaching labels to yourself or somebody else holds no other need than to increase the perceived sense of value in the person. We need them to feel good.

... such a vital organ
M
M
No, we need adjectives to explain our thoughts better.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
But that is a belief... you believe nobody can clearly focus on the brains activity. Because of a lack of data and reasoning.

For what it's worth, and you can chose to believe me or not, I believe focusing on the brains activity is possible because I have been doing it through meditation. I can work at separating myself from my thoughts, to a point where I am experiencing a sense of joy from simply existing.. there is gratitude for every moment witnessed.. and all emotional pain has been greatly diminished.. little or no self conscious, little or no underlying sense of fear... no sense of regret or anxiety. I have an underlying deep sense of innerpeace, while happy/sad events happen on the surface..

Whether you chose to enter that into your awareness or not. I don't really mind. understandably it's far from 'data'. But If it does start to interest you, meditation is where I started exploring the idea.

Two books I've read and re-read recently address this phenomenon, and the one Elissa et al mentioned about responding before you are consciously aware:

Andrew Newberg, MD and Mark Robert Waldman, Born to Believe: God, Science, and the Origin of Ordinary and Extraordinary Beliefs

Robert A. Burton, MD, On Being Certain: Believing You Are Right Even When You're Not

Born to Believe, among other things, reports on studies the author did of various meditators and people who practice other techniques - an atheist, nuns, Buddhists, and one who speaks in tongues. It explores how their experiences are the same, how they are different, and, to me very importantly, how they interpret their experiences. This seems to me relevant to how hippymusicman interprets his experiences from meditation as "separating myself from my thoughts." And "separating myself from my thoughts" is an interpretation of the experience. Someone else might describe a similar experience quite differently. So telling Elissa she can "choose to enter into her awareness or not" is, um, distinctly telling her that her interpretation of her experiences is only valid if it matches his. Just sayin'.

On Being Certain gives some different perspectives on hippymusician's certainty that he separates his thoughts from himself, that labels are meaningless to him, that he has abandoned his need to compare himself to others, etc smile

Very thought-provoking books. There is certainly a wide world out there. And in there, too, for that matter.

Cathy

Last edited by jotur; 07/16/10 12:41 PM.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
“In his brilliant new book, Burton systematically and convincingly shows that certainty is a mental state, a feeling like anger or pride that can help guide us, but that doesn't dependably reflect objective truth" So, so true. Hence deja vu.

'The' Idea that I'm playing with:
Attaching labels to yourself or somebody else holds no other need than to increase the perceived sense of value in the person. We need them to feel good.

'Another' idea is that what you call labels are in fact words used to place conversation in context. Some people may use some words as labels to judge others - but many people use words not to judge others but to describe them in ways that convey meaning and provide context.

Otherwise we'd all go round sounding like a bad self-help book!

A couple of questions - Why does description imply judgement? And why do you see judgement as synonymous with 'value judgements' about other people? But judging others as less than in order to make ourselves feel better?

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
HIPPO MAN, here's a quote from a jazz cat, might be good to heed his advice:

“Master your instrument. Master the music. And then forget all that bullshit and just play.” Charlie Parker

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by LimeFriday
A couple of questions - Why does description imply judgement? And why do you see judgement as synonymous with 'value judgements' about other people? But judging others as less than in order to make ourselves feel better?

Describing people as their external label seems almost insane. It seems we like to separate people. The only way we can do this is externally, (we are all just living creatures).. We can separate ourselves with labels. This creates 'better' and 'worse' in people. This is judging people on their external, and forgetting that we are all the same living creatures.

e.g. "one seems better at piano because they have the labels, 'teacher', 'composer' and 'touring performer'.. and even 'Able to play chopin nocturne'.. "

If we are these things.. why do we then need to attach the label and live through it?

"what do you do"
seems to be similar to asking:
"what label can I attach to you"

"I'm a musician, composer and teacher"
seems to be just like saying:
"this is how valuable I am."

... such a vital organ
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission