2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 63 of 187 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 186 187
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bump

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK, since we're not posting here what is everyone working on? I'm still using the AL arps for warming up at the start of practice and usually go back to AL as improv later. Still working the Chopin B-minor waltz, and my rep items (up to about 15 - 20 songs everyday - more on weekends). I've added David Nevue's "Overcome" and I'm also tracking the Greg's Hymn Thread for Church Jazz. What about y'all?????

[Linked Image]
Hi woody....I am still working on the rootless voicing on AL and I am also following the reharmonization and improv in that church jazz thread by Greg. The giraffe neck is getting longer and longer -- when do we get to hear you??

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I'm working on a problem of keeping the form in the middle of a solo. As my teacher says, I space out and start adding beats that shouldn't be there...

Remember to work on your swing guys and gals...

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

D
D
I'm painting my basement.... frown

When I have gotten to sit down at the piano over the past few weeks, I started working on the rootless voicings. I also started on the melody and basic shells of ATTYA. Tried coming up with good voice led changes but decided to start in the exact same manner that we did with Autumn Leaves. I've also been trying to work on some basic arpeggio exercises that I found in Tim Richards jazz book.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Lucky me - I'm not painting my basement. laugh

But - I am swamped. I've been spending a lot of time playing from my jazz fakebook of standards. I need to expand my repertoire, and better my sight reading skills.

My main focus these days has been in learning to comp for when my hubby and I play together. Those rootless voicings have been a life saver. I use the LH shell voicing and the rootless in the RH. The left hand needs that root since we won't have a bass player.

On the AL thread front, I've been playing Autumn Leaves combo style with LH rootless at my daily gig. (I play at my folks retirement home). Each time I play it, I improvise a chorus. I know, brave me eek I'm also playing Satin Doll combo style and eventually I will try improvising over those chords.

For that swing, I trade off between the arp exercise and Donna Lee at 3 different speeds.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Rosa,
I'm afraid it won't be for a while yet - possibly Christmas before I'm able to get a Zoom H2, but when I do I promise to post every song I can play at that time.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"What about y'all?????"

I'm working on "Take the A Train" using a walking bass throughout, trying to use all the great tips I've learned on it from this thread. smile

Sorry to post such an elementary question so late on. I've only just started to play around with Autumn Leaves! Am I right that you don't play the chords with your LH and melody with the right? They cross over don't they ie both hands?

Bill Evans spoke of the "universal mind" that exists in all people, if they can learn to think in the language that the universal mind uses -- a musical language that remains alive and well today, still scintillating, still expanding, still showing those who can hear it the depths of ecstasy and pain and life and love.
D
D
With solo piano, you do typically play the chords in the LH and melody or solo in the right. If you're comping, you might play chords in both hands. Check out the lesson on 2+3 chords. There are times in solo piano where you'd play chords in both hands, but I don't think we've gone that far in this thread yet. Block chords.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
In solo piano, you typically switch styles a lot ... 2+3 chords are a good way to quickly sound good. In that case, hands don't run into each other. Record yourself because you might find it boring to listen to as you play, but in fact, you are sounding good.

If you play with bass + drums, then your LH will typically play LH chords, simulating a guitarist or horn section. The hands don't run into each other than much, and it's ok to play very light left hand voicings. 1 note is just fine. It's also ok to move the melody up an octave. Don't feel you have to always play A or B types of voicings. Voice leading is what's most important, find the common tones.
As far as block chords, they don't have to be seen as 2 hand chords. The RH plays chords while the left hand has a few options, such as doubling the melody an octave below (shearing / theatre), playing walking bass, playing stride, playing rootless chords (a la Garland) or full blocks.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by simon288:
Sorry to post such an elementary question so late on. I've only just started to play around with Autumn Leaves! Am I right that you don't play the chords with your LH and melody with the right? They cross over don't they ie both hands?
Simon288, specifically as described in this thread, you can think of the entire orchestra as the bass, the middle voices and the melody. As discussed in the section on 2+3 voicings, the bass is handled by the LH pinky. The thumbs of both hands play the inner voices (and some of the other nearby fingers will contribute as needed). The melody line is played by the RH pinky. So that's the way we explain it here.

As you focus on doing a solo, the LH takes on the chordal function by itself and the RH takes on single note lines to create melodies. Now in practice, for variation, this could change as LH and RH change roles for variation but what I'm describing here is the base.

There are more complex examples than this of course where Brad Melhdau plays the solo in the inner voicings (thumbs) while the outer part of the hands ground the harmony but we won't go into that.

My Jazz Blog

Aah ok thanks for that! I got a bit confused as I was playing an AM7 to start (LH and all 4 notes) and noticed the first notes of the melody where in the same place. Think I need some quiet time to sit and read through the beginning of the thread more thoroughly.
I have only just been learning chord progressions, but I've yet to get used to playing shell voicings....time for some study.

Thanks Jazzwee

Bill Evans spoke of the "universal mind" that exists in all people, if they can learn to think in the language that the universal mind uses -- a musical language that remains alive and well today, still scintillating, still expanding, still showing those who can hear it the depths of ecstasy and pain and life and love.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Simon, read through the "Lessons". It's less pages than reading the whole thread. You will find out that we never play Am7 as A C E G as in Tradional theory...

Please don't feel like you have to keep up with anyone who's already started all this. This is a long term thread and everyone should start at the beginning. We'll be here to answer questions as they come up. Don't rush now.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,

I've been working on my AL Ballad for a while. I finally conquered the Red Dot syndrome for this piece and have a decent version to share.

http://www.box.net/shared/hh5i8pygwo

What has everyone else been up to?

Jazzwee - how are your lessons going?

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Barb,

That was fantastic!!! You've been busy and creative!!

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you, Woody. Yes, "busy" is a good way to describe it. "Severely addicted" is another way to describe it. laugh

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Very nice Barb! Love those voicings.

I've been busy too, though not on AL.

Last week, I played Dolphin Dance (Herbie Hancock) with my teacher playing bass and I played eight or so choruses of solos. This was a milestone for me, first because Dolphin Dance is a very difficult tune. Maybe the most difficult one I've ever done. I always messed it up because it has a complex form, super-frequent modulations, difficult voicings, difficult keys, and not easy to solo over.

At the beginning of the year, he told me to drop Dolphin Dance since I wasn't ready for it. My teacher had very high standards though. I had to clearly state the harmony in both voicings and solos with making mistakes.

So last week, I told him that I ignored his instruction and that I was ready to play Dolphin Dance. Playing this live with my teacher, like a combo, has always been worse for me than the Red Dot Syndrome. There's not too many opportunities to play in a combo and there's the critical ear of the teacher watching my every move and solo line.

Well I did it without mistakes, was relaxed, had good solid groove, and had enough ideas to go eight choruses without my teacher getting bored. And a thumbs up from him at the end. My teacher is a world class jazz player so playing together with him is an experience in itself.

His only advice at the end was that I play more quarter notes.

I think I just graduated to the next level. Somehow nothing seems so difficult anymore.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow, Jazzwee. That was a wonderful lesson update. Eight choruses of Dolphin Dance! You were flying. thumb thumb thumb

I was grinning as I read your blog. laugh

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Barb.

I'll call this the Red Dot blog.

I've been at this close to 4 years so it gives everyone a chance to see that progress is possible within a short time frame. It seemed impossible at first to concentrate on so many details and improvise publicly. But I noticed for myself that it starts to go to the subconscious automatically (after you've done it often enough) and I seem to have more time to judge how to phrase lines or develop an idea.

Early in my learning process, it was more this constant battle to hit the right notes to the chord. I don't even do that anymore. I'm mostly listening to myself play, like an outsider.

I noticed that once you've gotten to this point, since you're just the outsider watching a player, the red dot fades in the background.

My Jazz Blog

Page 63 of 187 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission