2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Blüthner is in!

The good Dr. Blüthner has graciously offered to conduct the tour of the Blüthner shop in the morning, followed by some wonderful visits to other very exciting places, to be announced shortly.

This is shaping up to be a tour you won't want to miss.
Pianos, music, friends, and Europe.

I expect to have a full itinerary outline and some pricing guidelines early next week. Make sure you add this thread to your watched topics.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

R
R
This tour sounds amazing and I would love to attend. I will be at a conference in Prague from June 26-29th so selfishly I'd love for the tour to be roughly around those dates so that I can make all or part of it (bc I'm coming from WA state I'm so close!!!) I would love to see the Grotrian factory but haven't seen that mentioned so could try to do that on my own as an offshoot of the rest of the tour. I like the suggestion of the Abel hammer factory - that would be fascinating.

Grotrian 189 #131049
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Rach22
I like the suggestion of the Abel hammer factory - that would be fascinating.

Yeah, what about Abel &/or Renner?
A view of the piano building process from a completely different perspective!

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
A few thoughts... First, whoever came up with this idea is brilliant and I am interested in going if I have the funds (graduation present to myself, maybe?). My second thought is that while there are already several factories on the list, there are a few unique places that are not:

Finchcocks Keyboard Museum and Hurstwood Farm Pianos. Finchcocks is unique among museums in that visitors can see the instruments in action. Hurstwood, of course, is the birthplace of Phoenix Piano Systems currently used by Steingraeber... also on site is an original Boesendorfer Imperial SE reproducing piano and a Boesendorfer-Moor Imperial (2 manual piano) and the Stuart & Sons pianos. The best part is that these two places are relatively near each other.

Other ideas I have are the Klavins model 370 upright in Germany, the Stemco Crystal Soundboard company in The Netherlands, the Borgato (pedal piano) company in Italy, and Paulello in France. There is also the Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nuremberg which has one of the largest collections of keyboard instruments anywhere.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the post beethoven986,

There are so many wonderful places we could visit we'd need at least
two months just in Germany/Austria. Even though we've pretty much decided on how this tour will go, we're happy to take all suggestions which we could consider for the next tour.

We have a draft of the itinerary for our first tour (June 2011) which I will be posting shortly. Among other sites of interest it takes us to four piano manufacturers shops and a couple of music museums along with some composers places.

The tour is 14 days (with the first and last days being primarily for travel).

Most of the days are quite full, although we have left some afternoons and evenings open for people to do whatever exploring they'd like.

Personally I've never been to Europe so I'm as excited about the opportunity to see the countries, meet the people, take in the architecture and try the food as I am about touring the piano shops.

Details about dates, itinerary, and estimated costs will be posted soon (our travel agency is working hard to coordinate all the pieces).

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Here is the Itinerary as we have it so far.

Additional details will be coming as we firm things up and as we talk with the piano companies. For example, Herr Blüthner has indicated in addition to conducting the tour of Blüthner, he would like to take us on a private tour of a music museum and possibly some other sites as well.

The DATES Are 5 June 2011 through 17 June 2011.
For those who wanted to join us and bring their school age children we realize this may conflict with the end of school.

While we certainly cannot presume to advise you on your children's education... What could be more educational then a tour of Europe including it's famous musicians, artists, craftsmen, etc? Point being? Let them miss a couple days of school, they can always write a report about their trip :-)

Note that we tried to leave some free time in the afternoons and/or evenings to allow everyone time to explore on their own. We can of course also continue to explore as a group for those who might be interested.

The ITINERARY

day 0 June 4
Leave home for Hamburg
June 5, 11 Sun
Arrival Airport Hamburg, city orientation tour, no entrance
welcome cocktail, welcome dinner, o/n Hamburg

June 6, 11 Mon
Morning Tour of Hamburg Steinway Piano Factory, PM free
overnight (o/n) Hamburg

June 7, 11, Tue
Full day drive to Bonn via Cologne, to visit the Cathedral
o/n Bonn

June 8, 11 Wed
Morning visit to Beethoven museum, visit with Robin (The Piano Girl) Meloy Goldsby (and tour) o/n Bonn

June 9, 11 Thu
Full-day drive to Leipzig
o/n Leipzig

June 10, 11 Fri
Half-day tour of Blüthner Piano Facilities hosted by Dr. Blüthner. Evening at leisure (Herr Blüthner has indicated he would like to treat us to some other wonderful sights, more later).
o/n Leipzig

June 11, 11 Sat
To Bayreuth, arrival around lunch time, Visits to Wagner and Liszt Museums
o/n Bayreuth

June 12, 11 Sun
Full-day excursion to Nürnberg (Germanistic National museum, collection of
historic music instruments
) & Rothenburg, walking tour (Sunday all shops and
companies are closed).
o/n Bayreuth

June 13, 11 Mon
AM Tour of Steingräber u. Söhne Piano conducted by Udo Steingräber , PM to Munich
o/n Munich

June 14, 11 Tue
AM Munich city tour including the Deutsches Museum (which houses one of the
world’s largest musical instrument collections, with a performance of the
music of Mozart on an original piano of his time
and comparative
demonstrations on instruments from subsequent time periods) and the National
theater (where we have applied for a visit behind the scenes).

PM drive to Salzburg, upon arrival we have a 2 hour walking tour with local
Salzburg guide (compulsory) and visit the Mozart Haus, the birthplace of
Mozart.
o/n Salzburg

June 15, 11 Wed
Morning drive to Vienna, arrive around lunchtime, afternoon orientation
tour, no entrance, plus a special: Meet a former member of the Opera House
of Vienna
, he will give quite a bit background information and let you know
about these interesting gossip stories from behind the scenes. Enjoy this
meeting in a comfortable Viennese coffee house atmosphere with cake and
coffee (subject to confirmation).
We Are in Talks with Bosendorfer Now About a Visit in Place of the Opera Member Chat, Updates Coming
o/n Vienna

June 16, 11 Thu
Full-day “Musical Vienna”, a city tour connected with composers, with music,
of which there are many in Vienna.
Dinner at local restaurant, maybe in Grinzing, where you dine with local
wine and music in a wine village nearby Vienna
o/n Vienna

June 17, 11 Fri
trf to Vienna Airport, head home.

Please continue to watch the forums and read our newsletters for further updates. We are working hard to get all the details nailed down.

If you think you are interested in joining us on this wonderful musical experience, please let us know.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

~ Breakfast will be included
~ Hotels will have AC
~ Tour bus will be modern with AC and bathroom
~ Everyone will receive a Piano World Forums Lapel Pin and a Hat
~ Hoping some of the piano makers will have some sort of goodies to give out :-)
~ Other Goodies to be announced later
~ We are working on fitting in one more piano maker tour/visit (to bring us back up to 4)
~ No entrance means, it is a panoramic tour where we don't go into museums,
only take photo stops, and therefore no entrance costs are included.

Last edited by Piano World; 07/06/10 03:10 PM. Reason: Updates

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

B
B
Hello again Frank,

The itinerary sounds wonderful. Thank you for all the work you are doing to put this together. I'm putting the dates on my calendar. Please put my name on the list.

Sincerely,
Terry L. Peterson
(Bachsky)

1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).
B
B
Frank,

I just noticed the "day 0". I think that means June 4. Usually Europe is an overnight flight from the US. So the dates should read June 4-17 for people making travel plans. When leaving Europe for the US you can do that all on the same day because of the travel direction west and the changing time zones.

Terry

1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).
R
R
Please count me in! As I mentioned before it works well with my conference in Prague, looks like I'll be spending the month of June in Europe! Trip of a lifetime!

Grotrian 189 #131049
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Sounds wonderful Frank! Can't wait!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
sounds like an incredible itinerary.

for those interested in visiting grotrian, braunschweig is not terribly far from hamburg, iirr.

i've been to both steingraeber and the deustche museum's musical instrument collection. both are not-to-be-missed!

i'd love to be there for any one of those locations, but especially vienna, which i missed out on visiting because i was kidnapped to mittenwald (also definitely worth visiting!)

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Looks good. Only critique is . ..
Vienna w/o Boesendorfer??

Hope I can go.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kpembrook
Looks good. Only critique is . ..
Vienna w/o Boesendorfer??

Hope I can go.

I'd be happy to visit Bosendorfer, if they would like to have us and we can find a way to fit it into the schedule.

If not, depending on how well the 2011 tour goes, we will be happy to go again in 2012 and visit some of the other fine piano makers in the area that we missed this time.

At some point I'd also like to get up to Estonia, and over to Northern Italy (Fazioli) (maybe next tour).

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
I'd be happy to visit Bosendorfer, if they would like to have us and we can find a way to fit it into the schedule.

Yes, I realize everything can't be done in one shot. I wouldn't bring up going to another town. It just seemed that as long as we were there . . .

I had a friend who had a Vienna tour and, in fact, Bosendorfer was one of the sites they visited.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Piano World
We have a draft of the itinerary for our first tour (June 2011) which I will be posting shortly. Among other sites of interest it takes us to four piano manufacturers shops

But in the posted itinerary I only count three: Steinway, Bluthner and Steingraeber.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, we had to take one out because of time constraints.

We are looking at working another visit in somewhere, but we already have a lot on our plates.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Here is a Map of European Piano Builders, courtesy of our own BosieEric...

CLICK for Larger Image

As you can see, we will be traveling right in the heart of piano building country.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

J
J
This sounds like a wonderful tour! I would be very interested in going!

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
More details and pricing estimates should be available in the next couple of days.

Please add your name to this thread if you think you might be interested in joining us on this exciting musical adventure.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

B
B
Hello Frank,

Terry L. Peterson is definitely interested.

My experience tells me that very soon you will need to require a $ deposit. This is essential. A few years ago Brian G. (dealer in Florida) tried to do a similar trip but couldn't get enough paying participants to make it work. We need to put our money where our mouth is so you will know if you have the numbers to make this work. I have led tours abroad and there usually is a minimum number that is needed, expecially to make the details and expense of ground transportation viable. I'm looking forward to the details.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission