2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,170 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hawgdriver

Sometimes your mind wanders. This is no great revelation. How can I concentrate and focus better?
By lifestyle I mean Mens sana in corpore sano (which is not just about fitness).

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
To the point I was trying to make regarding mind-control and anxiety, I don't know it's as much lifestyle as it is confidence. If I had the knowledge--the visceral impression of a previous experience--that my performance would be fantastic, then it very likely would be. But the future reality of my actual performance is on the edge uncertainty--I have no experience of righteously playing this piece for an audience--so anxiety will be (for me at least) a certainty.

This is either a very brilliant insight or the most inane piece of psyco-babble I've ever read here smile - and I can't figure out which - perhaps a restatement in other words...

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88

To your point about lifestyle, if I interpret it as you meant, is that if I have distractions in my life (relationship problems, money problems, etc.) then they will seep into my piano life. Concur.

Isn't that a requirement to play the Blues? So it can be a good thing.

A good thing? So, if one would want to play the Blues well - authenically - then one should need to have, one should hope to have, one should strive to have, distractions and problems?

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Its tongue-in-cheek, John. Lighten up.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
D
D
Hi everyone,since this is a self-teaching journey. I'm curious to know if anyone doing exercises like Hanon, Czerny, ... and such?

PS: At the moment I am VERY tempted to look for a teacher. The result of "Figuring out things on my own" for the last 2 weeks has been disappointing:

1. I play sloppily with constant raggedness
2. I have problems with rhythm. I can't feel the beat myself. I'm totally reliant on the metronome.

Well, guys maybe I will look for a teacher and see how...

Last edited by Day Dreamer; 07/08/10 08:28 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I use Hanon and Schmitt. There are lots of pro and con arguments about exercises, but exercises seem to help me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sloppily" or "ragged"; that can cover a lot of different aspects of playing. (My playing can easily sound like an angry mob storming the castle if I'm not careful.) If you're referring to rhythm, some find counting out loud helpful, especially emphasizing the strong beats. Are your difficulties with maintaining the pulse of the piece, or are there tricky rhythms that are throwing you off?

D
D
Hi moscheles001,

What I meant by raggedness is the transition from note to note isn't smooth or interrupted. Probably because I can't maintain steady rhythm. Some notes sound longer than a beat some are shorted than supposed hence the unevenness of notes sound.

I believe the piece I'm playing is NOT too hard (slow tempo with simple notes) but it has eighth and sixteenth notes. The rhythm is 3/4

I work on some Hanon. I don't know if there are different Hanon books but mine is The Virtuoso Pianist in sixty exercises. I have worked on exercises #1, 2 and #6. I use to play them a few times a week, but now I'm lucky to do them once a week. I find them helpful...and boring after awhile.

Day Dreamer, are you able to clap a steady beat to a song on the radio?

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'd definitely try counting out loud, then. Try also clapping the rhythms away from the piano.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I've never found Hanon boring; I think because I try to concentrate very hard on evenness and relaxation. It may help to think of each exercise as a repetitive sequence within an extended solo, like the cadenza from the first movement of the Fifth Brandenburg Concerto. (That's a stretch, I know, but it works for me.)

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by John Frank
To the point I was trying to make regarding mind-control and anxiety, I don't know it's as much lifestyle as it is confidence. If I had the knowledge--the visceral impression of a previous experience--that my performance would be fantastic, then it very likely would be. But the future reality of my actual performance is on the edge uncertainty--I have no experience of righteously playing this piece for an audience--so anxiety will be (for me at least) a certainty.

This is either a very brilliant insight or the most inane piece of psyco-babble I've ever read here smile - and I can't figure out which - perhaps a restatement in other words...

JF

Haha, hi John. It's most definitely the latter, but I'll try again to make sense. I'm a wretched communicator.

Ok, so in general I am a confident, even cocky person cool , and if you’ll forgive the boorishness of sharing this story, I think it will allow me to make a point. Most of my cockiness is due to past experiences in which the reality of certain abilities seem plain and true—for example, I’m really good at math. For me this started in kindergarten when I realized I was way beyond the other kiddos' addition flash-card chops. I was so dominating at this ‘around the world’ flash card game that there was no other possible conclusion besides ‘I’m the best at this’. I couldn’t be beaten, and it wasn't ever close, and I was the youngest kid in kindergarten. And so this experience and others like it have given me a certain confidence in matters related to math. I feel like I’m probably going to be the best in any group. I’m actually kind of eager to demonstrate this, and perhaps earn more accolades. There is no anxiety for me in a math demonstration, especially not when I know the abilities of the competition. And sometimes you are going to lose at some level, when the competition becomes increasingly more talented. But in general, if you experience a lot of success, instead of apprehension in a performance situation, you might feel pleasant anticipation—because of your confidence and past experiences.

If I could restate it in the context of the story I shared and the piano:

If you knew you were good at playing a piece, and had that reality, hard and incontrovertible, presented to you—then you would be likely to feel pleasant anticipation rather than anxiety. It’s when there is uncertainty that anxiety may distract or get the best of you (and I know that it has me). Therefore it seems useful to arrange a series of ‘rigged’ contests to build confidence. But you couldn’t know that they were rigged, right? Then you wouldn’t have that visceral feeling that you *are* good. I don't have an answer, but I figure it's related to practicing until you are good + having some talent.

If I’m lucky then that made more sense…but somehow I doubt it. Math is my strength, not communication… frown

Last edited by hawgdriver; 07/08/10 11:52 AM.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Day Dreamer
Hi everyone,since this is a self-teaching journey. I'm curious to know if anyone doing exercises like Hanon, Czerny, ... and such?

PS: At the moment I am VERY tempted to look for a teacher. The result of "Figuring out things on my own" for the last 2 weeks has been disappointing:

1. I play sloppily with constant raggedness
2. I have problems with rhythm. I can't feel the beat myself. I'm totally reliant on the metronome.

Well, guys maybe I will look for a teacher and see how...

My teacher has me using Czerny (op 823 little pianist), and I've gone through a half dozen pieces in 'little pianist'. To be frank, I think it's mostly a waste of time. Mostly. I have gained from the Cz studies a bit. But I'm not convinced that I couldn't have achieved the same results with more compelling (complicated) music. For example, some of the final measures of Schubert's d760 are simply c-maj arpeggios at tempo.

Why learn this in a vacuum instead of to achieve a goal? To me, learning it to play it in context is so much more meaningful. I have more motivation to master it.

Things my teacher has instilled that I would not have learned on my own (I was just using the sheet music for Schubert d760 w/o fingerings):

parsimony of body movement and tension release / 'hand as workshop' concept--visual image of effortless playing
that musicality is all that really matters for conservatory judges
erasing all mistakes is the goal, and sometimes this means practice perfectly and quite slowly and with dynamics at slow tempo
ascending thumbs need to tuck immediately

I figure that's probably obvious to all of you, but it had to be pointed out to me.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by John Frank
Originally Posted by rocket88

To your point about lifestyle, if I interpret it as you meant, is that if I have distractions in my life (relationship problems, money problems, etc.) then they will seep into my piano life. Concur.

Isn't that a requirement to play the Blues? So it can be a good thing.

A good thing? So, if one would want to play the Blues well - authenically - then one should need to have, one should hope to have, one should strive to have, distractions and problems?

JF

Yes. Here's the definitive discussion (I didn't write it - the attribtution is at the end):

"HOW TO SING THE BLUES

by Lame Mango Washington
(attributed to Memphis Earlene Gray with help from Uncle Plunky, revisions by Little Blind Patti D. and Dr. Stevie Franklin)

1. Most Blues begin, "Woke up this morning."

2. "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the Blues, 'less you stick something nasty in the next line, like " I got a good woman, with the meanest face in town."

3. The Blues is simple. After you get the first line right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes ... sort of: "Got a good woman - with the meanest face in town. Got teeth like Margaret Thatcher - and she weigh 500 pound."

4. The Blues are not about choice. You stuck in a ditch, you stuck in a ditch; ain't no way out.

5. Blues cars: Chevys and Cadillacs and broken-down trucks. Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility Vehicles. Most Blues transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train. Jet aircraft an' state-sponsored motor pools ain't even in the running. Walkin' plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.

6. Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, " adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

7. Blues can take place in New York City but not in Hawaii or any place in Canada. Hard times in St. Paul or Tucson is just depression. Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City still the best places to have the Blues. You cannot have the blues in any place that don't get rain.

8. A man with male pattern baldness ain't the blues. A woman with male pattern baldness is. Breaking your leg cuz you skiing is not the blues. Breaking your leg cuz an alligator be chomping on it is.

9. You can't have no Blues in an office or a shopping mall. The lighting is wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the dumpster.

10. Good places for the Blues:
a. highway
b. jailhouse
c. empty bed
d. bottom of a whiskey glass

Bad places:

a. Ashrams
b. gallery openings
c. Ivy League institutions
d. golf courses

11. No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old ethnic person, and you slept in it.

12. Do you have the right to sing the Blues? Yes, if:

a. you're older than dirt
b. you're blind
c. you shot a man in Memphis
d. you can't be satisfied

No, if:

a. you have all your teeth
b. you were once blind but now can see
c. the man in Memphis lived.
d. you have a retirement plan or trust fund.

13. Blues is not a matter of color. It's a matter of bad luck. Tiger Woods cannot sing the blues [jotur's EDIT: Until very recently that is]. Gary Coleman could. Ugly white people also got a leg up on the blues.

14. If you ask for water and Baby give you gasoline, it's the Blues.

Other acceptable Blues beverages are:

a. wine
b. whiskey or bourbon
c. muddy water
d. black coffee

The following are NOT Blues beverages:

a. mixed drinks
b. kosher wine
c. Snapple
d. sparkling water

15. If it occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another Blues way to die. So is the electric chair, substance abuse, and dying lonely on a broken down cot. You can't have a Blues death if you die during a tennis match or getting liposuction.

16. Some Blues names for women:

a. Sadie
b. Big Mama
c. Bessie
d. Fat River Dumpling

17. Some Blues names for men:

a. Joe
b. Willie
c. Little Willie
d. Big Willie

18. Persons with names like Sierra, Sequoia, Auburn, and Rainbow can't sing the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

19. Make your own Blues name (starter kit):

a. name of physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame, etc.)
b. first name (see above) plus name of fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi,etc.)
c. last name of President (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.)
For example, Blind Lime Jefferson, or Cripple Kiwi Fillmore, etc.

(Well, maybe not "Kiwi.")

20. I don't care how tragic your life: you own a computer, you cannot sing the blues. You best destroy it. Fire, a spilled bottle of Mad Dog, or get out a shotgun. I don't care.

back to aNaLoG.MaN"

So rocket's right smile laugh

Cathy

Last edited by jotur; 07/08/10 12:30 PM. Reason: spacing

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
That is GREAT! laugh

OMG that was funny!

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Kawai ES7
[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Wonderful Cathy. I was worried perhaps we couldn't have blues in Scotland. But then I read this:

You cannot have the blues in any place that don't get rain.

And now I know it's OK. Just as well....

Ah woke up in the morning, banged ma heid
bum biddy bum, bum biddy bah
Need ma blooz tae get outta bed
bum biddy bum, bum biddy bah

Last edited by ten left thumbs; 07/08/10 04:48 PM.
No Blues in Scotland...noooo way , not allowed, no in oor bonnie land. A lament yes, but no the blues. wink

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ejay
No Blues in Scotland...noooo way , not allowed, no in oor bonnie land. A lament yes, but no the blues. wink

But it's half of your flag?!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
"Neil Gow's Lament for His Second Wife" sort of sounds like there might be a blues story behind it -

laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
You mean St Andy's flag.. yes but that is deep blue, not a moody blue... lol

We do have some lovely laments Cathy, but they are haunting, not moody. ..although the jeely piece song is kinda full o self pity.

(Disclaimer, I don't really dislike blues music, lol)

One thing I have noticed is how many laments are played , especially out side Europe, like merry dances. Loch Lomond and the Massacre of Glencoe being just two examples.
So back on topic, as self taught, how do we distinguish between bad examples on youtube for instance and good recordings ?

Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission