2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 6 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
What do people make of this piece? I've listened to it many times, and read through it twice tonight. The writing is typically Schumannian richness, with lots of hazardous counterpoint and huge chords. There are many, many themes of absolutely first-rate quality, some of the best that Schumann ever wrote. But the overall effect is bizarre. You don't feel the same after listening to this work as you do after any of his other works. It's like the first time in a museum as a kid, where everything is so new and fantastic that you don't even know where to start, and can feel a little overwhelmed at times as you get led along taking in all the sights. Nothing is ever simply pretty or peaceful.. there's a powerful undercurrent that carries you along, whether you want to or not.

And as long as we're on the subject.. are you supposed to play the "Inner Voice" that he indicates in the "Einfach und leicht" section written on three staves? It's damn near impossible to even play it, let alone preserve the lightness he calls for, and no one seems to observe it in recordings.. but he doesn't say NOT to play it - is it like the Sphinxes in Carnaval, which nobody is really sure about? (Yes, I know Clara said not to play Sphinxes..)

J
J
Check out Richter's recording (on YouTube) for an example of the inner voice being brought out as the primary melody. It doesn't have to be this way (though it is a stunning recording) . There are many fine performances (notably Larrocha) that weave it in with the other two lines.

This is a great piece, wonderful to play and listen to, and it might be the most technically difficult piano work by Schumann.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here is a link to download an mp3 file of a 1955 performance by Richter.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by JBB_Piano
Check out Richter's recording (on YouTube) for an example of the inner voice being brought out as the primary melody. It doesn't have to be this way (though it is a stunning recording) . There are many fine performances (notably Larrocha) that weave it in with the other two lines.

I picked up Larrocha's recording.. she accents it where it appears in the right hand, but the middle staff is silent. I take it that's how it should be played.

I was actually meaning to refer to the G minor "Lebhaft" section, by the way. Whoopsie!

This is a great piece, wonderful to play and listen to, and it might be the most technically difficult piano work by Schumann.

It's interesting you should say that, because I'm not having much trouble with it. There are some thorny passages, but it's easier for sure than the Symphonic Variations or the Fantaisie. It's fairly comfortable, and a lot of the writing could have been pulled right out of the Kreisleriana's slow episodes. I love the enigmatic quality. It's the one piece of Schumann's that actually reminds me of Chopin - there's a puzzle in it that both the listener and performer have to ponder.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission