2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
From all accounts Dolce sfogato is a highly competent pianist (if not professional) ...
and prefers the first two Rachmaninoff sonatas (op, 19 and op. 28) to the third op. 36.

Some of us (who can’t play the sonatas) like to be guided by his judgment.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
You don't have to be able to play a sonata to judge it's merit.

Who here has played Rach 3, Prokofiev 2, Brahms 2, Beethoven's op.106/111? We've all heard them, studied the scores, loved them, but we can't play them. We can do the same to op.36 as well.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Why? Don't you have a brain for yourself to decide?

And since when has rachmaninoff ever liked a composition of his? He was incredibly insecure.

Horowitz played the second, not the first. At least not to my knowledge. How would you explain that?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich

Horowitz played the second, not the first. At least not to my knowledge. How would you explain that?

I would be very surprised if Horowitz hadn't learned and played the 1st sonata privately. Why he never played it publicly (at least in later years), is anyone's guess. (And why the heck didn't he play any of the concertos besides the 3rd?) Sadly, it's our loss- Horowitz could have been the ultimate interpreter.

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb
Hi stores,

You gallantly (Arthurian stock perhaps) in coming to the defence of "hard on herself" Angelina ... and boldly state that the Rach sonata is worthy ... but, if the jolly old composition had any real merit, we’d all add it to our repertoire of Beethoven sonatas and Chopin Nocturnes.

One of the genius qualities of the Masters is the uncompromising drive to polish to perfection ... where the final hard-won score is reduced to it’s Spartan poetic essence ... and that means a tight-knit cohesive structure (no woolly concept or notes).

Thanks for the wallpaper suggestion ... the MIDI graph is merely an accurate map of note pitch (up) and duration (across) ... Rach vainly attempts to stretch the keyboard to it’s limits ... just look at the Bb at m24 (the bottom note on my piano) which starts those repeated jumped arpeggios ... on which he parades a predictable chordal cascade ... while the wafty ascent at m28-31 lacks boldness ... before getting off my hobby-horse ... must just mention the clumsy sequence of chords at m36-38 (never to be used again by Rach).

Anytime you want to analyse Rach’s mastery of PC2 ... let’s open a new thread.

No gallant defense here as Angelina stands up for herself very well. I do defend, however, the sonata's merit. It's a work of great quality and fits quite nicely with any repertoire including your LVB sonatas/Chopin nocturnes. I'd be willing to bet that most repertoires sans the sonata appear so due to limited ability more than anything, but surely not quality in regard to the work itself.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich

I would be very surprised if Horowitz hadn't learned and played the 1st sonata privately. Why he never played it publicly (at least in later years), is anyone's guess. (And why the heck didn't he play any of the concertos besides the 3rd?) Sadly, it's our loss- Horowitz could have been the ultimate interpreter.

Overall though, Horowitz did not seem to perform many concertos live it seems.

Ok that is more of a question...Did horowitz play that many concertos?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In his rep (as far as I know):

Chopin 2
Brahms 1 and 2
Rach 1, 2, 3
Liszt 1 and 2
Mozart K. 488
Tchaikovsky 1
Beethoven 5

I would be willing to bet he also knew the Scriabin concerto and probably a couple of the Medtner's as well.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
For what it’s worth Angelina ... the MIDI format gives me the advantage of playing
any keyboard masterpiece prima vista ... including the 40 measures of the Rachmaninoff sonata op. 36 earlier shown ... by this graphic method Beethoven Opus 111 sonata ...
(which is beyond the reach of Kuanpiano) becomes a breeze, when transcribed.

My heart goes out to my respected Forum colleagues slogging at fevered practising ... when the MIDI format would change practising into instant playing .. like reading a favourite book.

With respect chaps ... what a bunch of dodos ... our schools provide the graphic format by which we all learn to snap fluctuations in the gold price ... and yet we persist with an antiquated (grotesquely distorted) music notation.

But then, you chaps can’t change ... once trapped into the abcdefg mind-set.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
pleeeeease explain smile
Do you mean that you read an alternative notation (in MIDI format) which makes it much easier for you to play the piece when sitting at the piano?

You don't mean just pressing playback button after entering all the notes at your leisure do you?

I like your graphics btb but I never realised you read them!!

Edit: C'mon btb! I am so curious to see what the page actually looks like. Could you post the first page of op111 that you read? It can't imagine reading the graph above, but maybe if it was much bigger I could see it. Thanks smile

Last edited by Canonie; 07/07/10 03:35 AM.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by btb
For what it’s worth Angelina ... the MIDI format gives me the advantage of playing
any keyboard masterpiece prima vista ... including the 40 measures of the Rachmaninoff sonata op. 36 earlier shown ... by this graphic method Beethoven Opus 111 sonata ...
(which is beyond the reach of Kuanpiano) becomes a breeze, when transcribed.

My heart goes out to my respected Forum colleagues slogging at fevered practising ... when the MIDI format would change practising into instant playing .. like reading a favourite book.

With respect chaps ... what a bunch of dodos ... our schools provide the graphic format by which we all learn to snap fluctuations in the gold price ... and yet we persist with an antiquated (grotesquely distorted) music notation.

But then, you chaps can’t change ... once trapped into the abcdefg mind-set.

I'm at a loss as to what this post even means. You said you couldn't play the sonatas so you can't be suggesting that you can if you can see them in some faux-piano-roll style of a midi editor. Unless you just let a midi sequencer press the keys for you, how is Opus 111 a breeze to play? If that is the case, then I don't see the worth. What am I missing? Am I up too late?

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Too true Canonie from Oz,

I can read the MIDI format ... I call it by that name so that the folk don’t throw too many stones at me ... nobody likes a smart-alec ... as a fresh 26 year old architect visiting London (and working in the office of Sir Basil Spence - designer of the New Coventry Cathedral) I dreamt up the graphic format , using the Pathetique Sonata as first prototype ... 40 years later I am fortunate enough to be able to download, print and play some thousand transcribed keyboard masterpieces.

Here’s what you asked for ... MIDI of the opening 32 measures to the Beethoven sonata
Opus 111 ... I’ve just re-visited the gem at my Grotrian Steinweg and came all over goose-bumps ... images of stone-deaf Beethoven crashing those dramatic chords in the opening 4 measures ,,, and repeating the Theme higher at m5-8 (those racy arpeggio runs need some working on) ... then those glorious chiming converging chords from m9-16 ... ominously dropping the LH chord at m19 to maintain the meeting arms ... the chord at m21 drips with the finality of doom ... only to rumble into an even more macabre passage at 21-24 ... while m25-28 is positively ghoulish ending in a sepulchral pp trill.

You will notice on the graphic the six octaves of the keyboard ... divided by bold C lines ... pitch is accurately measured up and note duration across ... sharps and flats fall away by giving equal space to each of the 12 basic keyboard notes ... and numbering the notes
similar to the familiar 5 minute divisions on a clock face:
60 (C) 05, 10 (D) , 15, 20 (E) . 25 (F) , 30, 35 (G) , 40, 45 (A) , 50, 55 (B) , 60 (C)

After you’ve had your nervous breakdown ... you might like to chat some more ... it should be pointed out however, that the mind-set of the alphabetic notation makes change nigh impossible.
[Linked Image]

PS The success of the format lies in snap-reading the overall picture of the music ... where the individual notes merely articulate the shape... the grey areas represent compound sound (ie chords)

Last edited by btb; 07/07/10 06:49 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow btb, I'm having a good look at it now. There are dynamics and performance indications! I've seen these when you've posted them before but never realised you used them for reading. Sorry for this thread derail but I don't spose it matters too much at this stage.

I assume this works well when you have a good sound memory of the piece, or use a recording alongside - is that right? I can see the bold lines inside the grey areas to accurately mark the notes of the chords.

And have you ever tried to read a new (to you) piece notated in this method, or got someone else to try this? It's hard to imagine that this is possible except for much simpler pieces than this. Would you say there is less detail possible in this format? or would it be possible to develop the language further?

Thanks for the explanation, I find alternative notations fascinating. My students occasionally come up with bizarre methods of notating their early compositions - things I'd never think of.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My apologies I forgot Beethoven loved MIDI. It really is the best way to learn music, how insightful!

Yet you still have the balls to criticize the rest of us, who actually devote time and effort into learning something.. Yeeeah you are always right aren't you. To heck with the proper format. Oh and the second sonata is sure a piece of crap.

I think I'm goin to stop wasting my time with your amazing words of wisdom. You should feel special - you're the first user I'm ever going to put on my ignore list! Yay!

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My search for anything new to process is like blotting paper ... anything to make my day ... but to give you some idea of the vast territory covered ... here’s a popular song by Leonard Bernstein from "West Side Story" ... the haunting "Maria".

You will notice that the lyrics are neatly perched above the keyboard outlines ... in this case there’s even a snap of a youthful Bernstein (sadly smoked himself to death ) ... I tend to play this party-piece at the drop of a hat ... don’t tempt me.

Anything new which might be spotlighted by one of our colleagues is accessed through IMSLP as with the Rachmaninoff sonata op. 36 ... thus the 40m graphic posted ... by which the content is discovered as a graphic shape ... in this case, because of the scattered nature of the note patterns and the spread between LH and RH roles, it took a few play-throughs before the music gelled.

Kind regards,

[Linked Image]

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I don't understand the point of these when it's all too obvious from the score.

And yes, op.111 is beyond my reach, but I don't see how it becomes any closer when translated into midi. Heck, I don't even know what you're talking about any more.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I don't think anyone knows.. hahahahaah..

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission