Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
120 registered members (ando, akc42, anotherscott, Alex Hutor, accordeur, 90125, AaronSF, AnnInMiami, 31 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Masochistic Pianist! [Re: Pogorelich.] #1469155
07/06/10 08:57 AM
07/06/10 08:57 AM
Canada
K
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Kuanpiano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K

Canada
Why I like to go to competitions:
1) Motivation to practise and perfect my repertoire
2) Meet new people
3) hear other people play music
4) play on pianos better than mine
5) get feedback on my playing
6) get used to performing
7) hope that I perform well.
8) hopefully win a prize

IMO, you can get all of these done at other events (casually playing with friends, sceduling recitals, doing piano examinations), but competitions bring all of these aspects together.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: The Masochistic Pianist! [Re: Pogorelich.] #1469162
07/06/10 09:10 AM
07/06/10 09:10 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich
I have a different question ploverus - can you tell us your personal experiences at competitions?
If you mean as a performer, I have none. I have attended the Mannes IKIF competition for around ten years as an observer, but that is for professionals or want to be professionals(most are currently studying at some conservatory). As a teenager, I did play every year for jugdes(one each year) in some national organization of piano teachers sponsored event(don't remember the exact name). I did do well enough one time to get to briefly play in front of a few hundred piano teachers as my "prize"(I didn't know that was a possibility at the time of my audition).

As a professional pianist, what do you think of amateur competitions? Why would think people enter them?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/06/10 09:12 AM.
Re: The Masochistic Pianist! [Re: pianoloverus] #1469169
07/06/10 09:23 AM
07/06/10 09:23 AM
not somewhere over the rainbow
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Pogorelich.  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

not somewhere over the rainbow
Maybe (I may be wrong) the reason you dislike them so much is because you've never really participated in one. It's exciting, and I think it's much easier to find competitions than organizations like that - I wouldn't even know where to look at them! I don't know, I think amateur competitions are essentially the same as other ones - the only difference is that the people in amateur competitions probably aren't dirt poor and have proper jobs haha..

I've been doing competitins since I was 11, so almost for a decade now.. They're exciting, they are scary, require a lot of work, if you have to travel it makes it all the more exciting and you get to meet important people; you never know who is sitting in the audience. I've developed a few connections because of competitons which wouldn't have happened any other way.

And it's a good way of knowing (vaguely, or sometimes wrongly) where you stand.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Re: The Masochistic Pianist! [Re: Pogorelich.] #1469174
07/06/10 09:41 AM
07/06/10 09:41 AM
New York City

New York City
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich
Maybe (I may be wrong) the reason you dislike them so much is because you've never really participated in one. It's exciting, and I think it's much easier to find competitions than organizations like that - I wouldn't even know where to look at them! I don't know, I think amateur competitions are essentially the same as other ones - the only difference is that the people in amateur competitions probably aren't dirt poor and have proper jobs haha..

I've been doing competitins since I was 11, so almost for a decade now.. They're exciting, they are scary, require a lot of work, if you have to travel it makes it all the more exciting and you get to meet important people; you never know who is sitting in the audience. I've developed a few connections because of competitons which wouldn't have happened any other way.

And it's a good way of knowing (vaguely, or sometimes wrongly) where you stand.
But as a professional now or even long ago when you may have been dreaming of being a professional, I think competitions are necessary for you.

Isn't part of the excitement the chance of doing well and isn't that an ego thing? Again, I don't think the ego part is necessarily bad as long as one recognizes it's there. I think what you said in an earlier post is a good way to look at things for a professional(for amateurs I'm not sure):

"For the music goals I have I think it's good for people to hear me (I guess not so much when it's terrible haha), and I definitely need to be doing things I can put on my bio. And, I know this has nothing to do with music itself, but winning can be so rewarding sometimes. You know you worked hard, you know you had people wishing you didn't show up for the competition, etc. It's nice to get something back.

There are bad sides too of course.. When people start putting their prizes in front of the music. We still need to remember that music is not about proving anything, it's about sharing and communication."

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/06/10 09:42 AM.
Re: The Masochistic Pianist! [Re: pianoloverus] #1469255
07/06/10 12:01 PM
07/06/10 12:01 PM
New York
Mark_C Online content
Mark_C  Online Content

New York
It's funny....you do such an elaborate post, but still get it wrong -- again.

You did something odd: Even though I was 100% specific about what the false attribution was, you picked SOMETHING ELSE -- something that was a true attribution -- and (again triumphantly) trumpeted your supposed point. ha

I mean, look.....when someone points out that you attributed something falsely, he doesn't mean everything you attributed was wrong, only what was pointed out. IMO it's a more blatant example of what you've been doing quite a bit on these threads: Ignoring or mistaking some simple points, and building edifices on others. That makes it very hard to try to discuss something with you, because what we say won't matter much.

What you say I "finally admitted," I had never denied or avoided; and, you completely misunderstood the intent and meaning of my little thing about defining "winning."

I can see why you and I don't talk together too much.
And I'm sure we'll keep it that way. smile

Re: The Masochistic Pianist! [Re: Mark_C] #1469303
07/06/10 01:15 PM
07/06/10 01:15 PM
New York City

New York City
Originally Posted by Mark_C
It's funny....you do such an elaborate post, but still get it wrong -- again.

You did something odd: Even though I was 100% specific about what the false attribution was, you picked SOMETHING ELSE -- something that was a true attribution -- and (again triumphantly) ha trumpeted your supposed point.
I mean, look.....when someone points out that you attributed something falsely, he doesn't mean everything you attributed was wrong, only what was pointed out. IMO it's a more blatant example of what you've been doing quite a bit on these threads: Ignoring or mistaking some simple points, and building edifices on others. That makes it very hard to try to discuss something with you, because what we say won't matter much.

What you say I "finally admitted," I had never denied or avoided; and, you completely misunderstood the intent and meaning of my little thing about defining "winning."

1.If your're going to disagree so strongly you could at least post the relevant parts of my post you're discussing.

2. You start out with the sarcastic "it's funny" and then call my post "elaborate". I find this silly coming from one who both in freqquncy of posts and length of posts is near the top of PW posters. I think in the 8 months you've been a member, you've written far more words than I have in 10 years.

2. Then you say I attributed something to you falsely. Here is the quote:

PL said:If ego/winning a prize isn't one of the main reasons, why would you say in an another post that "my best chance would be to try to do a great job of adapting to the Fazioli piano"?
Mark C said:I'll mostly ignore the fact that you're 'beating a straw man' -- you're attributing something to me that I never said...

So you deny that you said what I included in quotes?

3. I said you "finally admitted" something because it was the first time, I believe, that you had said that on this thread or the thread about amateur piano competitions. I didn't say you denied it before. Avoided it, I think so. Here is the quote:
"For me, ego and winning (which in my case means just making each next round, not "winning" in the sense you seem to mean) certainly ARE reasons."

4. If you mean to claim that just going to the next round(after saying how difficult the competition was) is different from winning "in the sense I mean", I don't agree with you. Whether it's for one round or further, you post makes it clear to me you were looking for a way to advance if only for one round.

You said:
"Going in, I realized......how can I put this....that a lot of those people just play the piano better than I do.
I felt that my best chance would be to try to do a great job of adapting to the Fazioli piano, particularly on voicing and dynamic range, and in general, the SOUND." I'd say that ego and winning(however you want to define that) were definitely involved.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/06/10 05:06 PM.
Re: The Masochistic Pianist! [Re: pianoloverus] #1469321
07/06/10 01:53 PM
07/06/10 01:53 PM
New York
Mark_C Online content
Mark_C  Online Content

New York
I think you and I have gone further on this than we can. smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nord Piano Monitors
by PianoManChuck. 01/21/19 05:38 PM
Questions about Pianoteq 6 and Kawai CA98
by ADWyatt. 01/21/19 01:25 PM
Question about Yamaha DGX-660
by MikeSD. 01/21/19 12:06 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,714
Posts2,784,457
Members92,186
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission