2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John_B
About the 55 pieces that VL is working up.

Out of curiosity I checked on the concert schedule for Mitsuko Uchida (available on her website). She is performing a total of 21 pieces (including concertos and chamber works) during the period from May of this year to February 2011.

Often she will work up one programme (with a few alternative pieces) and then tour with it.

This seems far more 'sensible' (not that I am in anything like a position to judge). But then Uchida is a tremendously respected performer and draws large audiences where ever she plays, so she can set her own terms.

I heard once from an acquaintance who works in the music "industry" that many rising pianists learn and maintain vast amounts of repertoire so as to be able to jump in as replacement for a more prominent artist. Often this affords them a great opportunity for future bookings if things go well. Apparently organizers at large venues favor minimizing additional disruptions to the program and prefer to replace their canceled artist by either an equally famous pianist or a more obscure one who would stick to the announced program.
I don't know how universally true that is or if it even applies to Ms Lisistsa's 55 pieces. But nobody plans to perform that many different pieces in a single year, to my knowledge (and I often scour concert schedules )..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
She probably does plan to perform that many pieces in a year, some pianists like to have many different programs.

Remember when the rolling stones said during one tour no two concerts would have the same set. Though, it is probably difficult to maintain that number of pieces, hence the crazy practice schedule. Or maybe the opportunities to practice won't be there on the road.

I do not think it speaks to how good or bad she is as a pianist, we all see how good she is, and it is up to each of us to form our own opinion of that. How she maintains that in the end is her own business.

My own personal opinion was I did not like watching someone else practice. Two things go through my head, first and foremost, why am I not practicing? The second is I sometimes feel that it is simular to the magician who reveals how to do his tricks, it takes away more in the end. It takes away of the amazment I have of the performer. This is still true, despite me knowing how to practice, or at least know a way that has worked for me. Each pianist is unique and brings something new to the table, something to be amazed of.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
There is something missing here. Her performances are much more musical and nuanced than these practices, which tells me these are really efforts to maintain note-perfect performances and maintain a memory of these pieces. Where does she get the time, then, to work on the music? It just doesn't appear magically after doing 14 hours of practice like this every day.

Fazioli 228.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Agree with Numerian. I remember reading somewhere (and being told by my teacher) that Neuhaus often recommended that his students visit museums, read world literature, music history etc so as to enrich their artistry. At some point, there has to be more than note readiness. I am not saying Lisitsa does not seek to enrich her artistic side. I simply do not know much about her, but surely occupying oneself with this practice for 14 hours a day leaves little time for much else.

I also wonder when does a performing pianist really put together a piece, ie architecture, tempo modulation and other nuances. Does it simply occur at the time of performance or does she /he "plan" it or study it ahead of time? Or, as is more liekly the case, does it vary among pianists?

C
C
She mentioned in a chat session after one of her practices that she likes to read; in fact she likes to read history. Maybe influence of Neuhaus.

P
P
After that much practice and complete technical mastery of the pieces she is playing, all that is left to focus on in concert is the musicality of the piece.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Perhaps when ones technique is as formidable as Lisitsa's and one's memory as prodigious, its far easier for one to be spontaneously musical.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Once you can play the notes with the speed, dynamics, and accuracy that you want, the musicality should be easy (not to mention, subjective).

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by debrucey
Perhaps when ones technique is as formidable as Lisitsa's and one's memory as prodigious, its far easier for one to be spontaneously musical.

Yes. And furthermore, this was only one week. I don't think we can assume that every week for her is like this one. I'm sure she will have plenty of time on airplanes and in hotel rooms to practice away from the score and work on the things that aren't physical.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
E
E
Was anyone else surprised by the level of (un)readiness of Brahms PC2, given that she'll be performing it in 1 week? It's amazing to me how quickly someone like that can bring up a piece to performance level. I know she's played it in the past, but from her schedule it looks like the first performance of the piece in 2010.

W
Why Offline
W
One of the professors at my university is a big advocate of avoiding spending too much time perfecting each musical element of a piece. Rather, he says, one should have the technique to be able imagine as they play, while freely transferring your imagination to the piano. So, one should never really play the piece exactly the same every time.

I think Valentina actually has a more flexible approach too playing her pieces than most - just look at the different renditions of Rach's op. 36 no. 6.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission