2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
22 members (grd-dan, Iaroslav Vasiliev, dobro, Harpuia, CyberGene, AB99, Emery Wang, AZNpiano, 4 invisible), 270 guests, and 443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Happy Birthday Hanon
#1468310 07/04/10 07:17 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
191 candles, as I calculate it, since the birth of Charles-Louis Hanon on July 2, 1819. How the date slipped by me, I can't
say for sure--- I think I was walking the dogs.

Hanon is curiously obscure, except for his famous book of exercises, which has been praised by the likes of Sergei
Rachmaninoff and Josef Lhevinne and damned by many others. I have taken the liberty of reproducing the text from the
Wiki article, found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanon

Their follow-up article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Virtuoso_Pianist_in_60_Exercises
may or may not be of interest. It is quite brief.

If you're at all interested, the link cited after this short profile reflects more research:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Charles-Louis+Hanon's+life+and+works.-a0201609121

In respect for the 2009 copyright the article is not quoted here but, it is by far the most worthwhile of the three
cited sources.

The Virtuoso Pianist is still in print to this day, and can be found free for the downloading at IMSLP' site:
http://imslp.org/wiki/The_Virtuoso_Pianist_(Hanon,_Charles-Louis).

Some pianists (including me) find it useful, others do not. One precaution: disregard the printed instruction to "Lift the
fingers high." An exaggerated motion of this sort can lead to injury of the hand, and a proper articulation
does not require it.

Wiki:

"Charles-Louis Hanon (born in Renescure, France 2 July 1819, died in Boulogne-sur-Mer, France 19 March 1900) was
a French piano pedagogue and composer. He is best known for his work The Virtuoso Pianist In 60 Exercises, which
has become the most widely used exercises in modern piano teaching. Piano students all over the world know of
Hanon’s famous training exercises for pianists. Both Sergei Rachmaninoff and Josef Lhévinne claimed Hanon to be
the secret of why the Russian piano school delivered an explosion of virtuosi in their time, for the Hanon exercises
have been obliged for a long time throughout Russian conservatories; there were special examinations in which one
had to know all exercises by heart to be played in all tonalities in highly advanced speed.

"Although the value of Hanon's exercises is highly recognized by most of the greatest pedagoges and pianists, it is not
completely without its detractors. Some critics have questioned the merits of the independent finger technique
which the exercises seek to cultivate, with some pedagogues, such as Abby Whiteside considering them to be
actively harmful.

"It has been a recent trend for music schools to hold a Hanon Marathon, Church Street School for Music and Art
being the first to have coined the term and held the event, in which Hanon exercises are played competitively.

"Other works of Hanon include 50 instructional pieces, Méthode Élémentaire de Piano, and a collection of 50
Ecclesiastical Chants.

"Charles Nunzio, now in his nineties, wrote "Hanon for Accordion", a two-volume set of exercises for Piano
Accordion based on a similar philosophy, which has recently been reissued in an updated edition. A Hanon for
Guitar has also been written.

"References:
* Josef Lhévinne - 'Basic Principles in Pianoforte Playing'
* James Francis Cooke - 'Great pianists on piano playing' (chapter - Rachmaninov)

**********************************************************************************************************************

Hanon article (c)2009 MTNA

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Charles-Louis+Hanon's+life+and+works.-a0201609121

The link above locates a much more extensive article (and far more interesting), with the following notation
about the authors and copyright:

"Andrew Adams is assistant professor of piano at Western Carolina University. He completed a doctorate degree
in piano performance at the University of Colorado at Boulder He has published numerous articles in 'The
Journal of Singing.'

"Bradley Martin, pianist and conductor, is the director of the musical theater program at Western Carolina
University He earned a doctorate degree in piano performance at the University of Colorado at Boulder.

"COPYRIGHT 2009 Music Teachers National Association, Inc. No portion of this article can be reproduced
without the express written permission from the copyright holder."

So. You will have to follow the link yourself if you want to know more.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 07/04/10 07:23 PM.

Clef

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Happy Birthday Hanon
Jeff Clef #1468514 07/05/10 08:07 AM
J
J
I'll play a Hannon today in memory. I don't know how you remember his birthday - I can't even remember to do the exercises consistantly.

With your interest in piano history, do you by any chance have any biographical information on John Thompson, of "Teaching Little Fingers to Play" fame? I've looked and posted before but haven't found much.

Jeff Clef #1468515 07/05/10 08:08 AM
J
J
I'll play a Hannon today in memory. I don't know how you remember his birthday - I can't even remember to do the exercises consistantly.

With your interest in piano history, do you by any chance have any biographical information on John Thompson, of "Teaching Little Fingers to Play" fame? I've looked and posted before but haven't found much.

JR_YC #1468536 07/05/10 09:46 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
To paraphrase Gen. George S. Patton: "Hanon, you magificent bastard, I read your book!"

moscheles001 #1468636 07/05/10 01:35 PM
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
As a true Hanon fan, Happy Birthday...and #30 is actually very nice sounding...

Mark... #1469114 07/06/10 08:33 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Happy B-Day Hanon.

Thank you for a productive love/hate relationship!!

One of these days I will venture past #3!!

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing triplets in rhythms
by zillybug - 04/09/20 10:06 PM
What keyboard is this
by Bruce In Philly - 04/09/20 07:00 PM
Biggest range of great sounds ?
by Edb123 - 04/09/20 04:40 PM
Mason and Hamlin “baby” grand - one key
by SeanMcD12 - 04/09/20 04:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics198,025
Posts2,943,601
Members96,550
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission