2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I went into Guitar Center today to see if they had the CP-1 and CP-5 and have to say, overall, I wasn't impressed. The action felt very light, and the sound was a bit bright for me. I own and have been playing and RD-700GX and recently upgraded with the SN card, and was looking to compare that with the CP series boards. I know sound and feel are very personal, but anyone else let down by the sound and action of the new CP series keyboards?? Any one of you all had the chance to play the CP series boards and the RD-700GX with the SN card?

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have an issue with the CP5 but that involves a velocity switching problem with four notes. The B, C, C#, and D two octaves above middle C sound noticeably louder than surrounding notes when played at a ff or fff level. (I'm talking about the default grand piano sound). I bought the CP5 but didn't notice that until I had the keyboard for a week.

No digital piano can be correctly evaluated unless you bring along your own set of high quality headphones. I wouldn't dream of spending more than €2000 on anything without hearing it first through headphones. You did use headphones, didn't you?

My local music store has a CP1 looked up through less than acceptable speakers, that's why you should always compare all digital keyboards with headphones.

I'm very happy with the action of my CP5.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by PianoZac
I went into Guitar Center today to see if they had the CP-1 and CP-5 and have to say, overall, I wasn't impressed. The action felt very light, and the sound was a bit bright for me. I own and have been playing and RD-700GX and recently upgraded with the SN card, and was looking to compare that with the CP series boards. I know sound and feel are very personal, but anyone else let down by the sound and action of the new CP series keyboards?? Any one of you all had the chance to play the CP series boards and the RD-700GX with the SN card?

You are correct, sound and feel are very personal. I owned the CP1, but ended up returning it and getting the RD/SN. I'm not going to be returning the Roland. (The SN board has transformed the RD in terms of AP sound and playability).

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I don't find the latest CPs very inviting at all. Every time I see them sitting there all alone at the Guitar Center, fluorescent screen winking at me, plugged up and ready to go - I'm overcome by ennui and can't muster enough motivation to shuffle over a few feet and play with them.

Yamaha could breath new life into the CP33 (relatively lightweight, well made, simple interface, pitch & mod wheels located where god intended) by slapping a set of GH3 keys in there, include both the CFIII and S6 piano samples, and sell it for like $1200. People would go bonkers over something like that.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
dewster, would adding a GH3 increase the weight of the instrument?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I don't really know. If it boils down to just a third contact then I'd reckon not.

I saw open GH3 model in shop. It's generaly the same mechanics as GH only rubber "button" under the key has 3 contacts instead of 2 in GH action. Rest was the same only upper damping for hammer up position was thicker. Difference in weight should be few decagrams, I guess.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I agree, GH and GH3 are supposedly the same thing except for sensors. I think either way it is a nice action, smooth and quiet. I had a little play of the 33 recently..wasn't wild about the sounds at all but action was good.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by EssBrace
... wasn't wild about the sounds at all but action was good.
Yamaha's DP actions have a good reputation for durability and quality control. The problem has always been that they sample their own pianos;-)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FogVilleLad
The problem has always been that they sample their own pianos;-)

I have to believe this is something of a gilded cage for both Yamaha and Kawai. It's great that they showcase their own APs in their DPs, but anyone wanting a darker piano sound is left out in the cold (perhaps clutching a Roland). Though I guess now that Yamaha owns Bosendorfer sick we might get a bit more variety in their DP voice offerings.

Is this some kind of weird copyright thing at work? Like if you're Yamaha you can't sample a Steinway without getting a lot of lawyers involved? Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The Japanese culture is different than ours. They like bright sounding pianos; they like gaudy colors - it's a cultural thing.

I'm also guessing the top management of Yamaha is closed to outside ideas.

I was in Tokyo many years ago and could not get over the gaudy colors used in their outdoor advertising. It's a cultural thing.

All I know is this, I've bought Yamaha products for almost 40 years and they have never once asked me for my opinion. Of course, that doesn't stop me from giving it, but they're not interested in outside opinions.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
P
P
Originally Posted by dewster
Every time I see them sitting there all alone at the Guitar Center, fluorescent screen winking at me, plugged up and ready to go - I'm overcome by ennui and can't muster enough motivation to shuffle over a few feet and play with them.

lol! The old winking screen syndrome. Never a good thing.

Yamaha could breath new life into the CP33

I feel the same way. Seems like such a practical keyboard, which if you're shooting for pros using them should be high on the list. Along with the question of why they keep on sampling their own bright grands, who are they getting advice from concerning what goes into a stage piano?

Mychal

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FogVilleLad
The problem has always been that they sample their own pianos;-)

I have to believe this is something of a gilded cage for both Yamaha and Kawai. It's great that they showcase their own APs in their DPs, but anyone wanting a darker piano sound is left out in the cold...

At least Kawai DP's offer a way to adjust hammer hardness parameters, yielding darker piano timbres at will.

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
The Japanese culture is different than ours. They like bright sounding pianos; they like gaudy colors - it's a cultural thing.

I like bright pianos and gaudy colors as much as the next person. smile

But, regardless of who manufactures my expensive new DP, I want samples of several different world's greatest APs in there. (CFIII + S6 != variety.)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TADutchman
At least Kawai DP's offer a way to adjust hammer hardness parameters, yielding darker piano timbres at will.

Possibly, but I want a sample of a genuine dark piano, not a bright piano with algorithmically softened hammers.

I want to see this sticker on the outside of my shiny new DP:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dewster; 07/05/10 05:51 PM. Reason: added sticker
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This artwork reminds me of an honest Chinese guy at a copy market in Shanghai grin

Me: "Is this a genuine product?"
Him: "Yes, it's a real copy!"

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I want to see this sticker on the outside of my shiny new DP:

[Linked Image]

No problem:
http://www.makestickers.com/

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
dewster, would adding a GH3 increase the weight of the instrument?

I've seem both keyboards, GH3 adds only a small little rubber bump (switch) on the circuit board under each key and a slight re-shaping of one plastic part. GH and GH3 are otherwise identical. If you took them both apart you'd have to know what you were looking for to tell which was which.

Yamaha really should simply do away with GH and make GH3 the standard but they need a way differentiate their products

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I think they sound great, and I'd probably go for a CP50 if I were buying new. I personally see no reason for the CP5 to exist. It's just a more expensive CP50 with the main diff being the NWSTAGE vs GHE action, and neither resembles that of an acoustic well enough to merit any sweat over it. Sucks that folks gotta cough up an extra g just for a lighter action.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jscomposer
I personally see no reason for the CP5 to exist. It's just a more expensive CP50 with the main diff being the NWSTAGE vs GHE action...

The fact that they left the S6 sample out of the CP50 sucks more IMO.

If anyone has a CP50 and feels like running the DPBSD through it, I'd love to confirm whether or not the CFIII sample set is the same between it and the CP1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission