2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Welcome to PW, Joshua! You're never too old to learn to play. I think you'll find that the longer you've played, the quicker you'll learn. And there are plenty of smart people here who can help you.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by Joshua Liswantoro
I just bought my digital piano last month....Currently I am learning to play one of my favorite piano pieces, "Ballad pour de Adeline"...And now in the week 3, I am able to play the complete song with some mistake here and there. ...Am I to old and that caused me to very slow in learning a new things?

Welcome to the forum, Joshua. smile If you are playing Ballad pour de Adeline (lovely piece, by the way!) after only one month on piano, you are NOT "very slow" at all! Quite the opposite. And you are most definitely NOT too old! We have people on AB forum who started piano in their 60s or even older and are loving it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K

Welcome to the forum, Joshua. smile If you are playing Ballad pour de Adeline (lovely piece, by the way!) after only one month on piano, you are NOT "very slow" at all! Quite the opposite. And you are most definitely NOT too old! We have people on AB forum who started piano in their 60s or even older and are loving it.

Correct and, in fact, the older the better...

The temperament of "seasoned citizens" is perfectly serene and thus ideal for the ups and downs, the frustrations and joys of piano study - it's a matter of knowing how to be patient and how to keep things in perspective - and, as a bonus, if you're retired you certainly have a lot more time available to devote to this highly commendable artistic pursuit...

But, there's something older the the 60s? laugh

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
J
J
Thank you guys, that double my confidence end eagerness to learn more.

What I mean with slow is relative compared to the younger, in this case it is me compared to my nephew.

Yeah, older people can manage their emotion better and usually have a narrow target. That's help. However in the context of 'speed of learning' I believe the younger is better, even it not always mean 'reach the target'.

Slow but focus vs Fast but scattered. Is that the comparison of how the younger and older learn?

JGL

Love my Privia PX-330
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Joshua Liswantoro
What I mean with slow is relative compared to the younger, in this case it is me compared to my nephew.

Yeah, older people can manage their emotion better and usually have a narrow target. That's help. However in the context of 'speed of learning' I believe the younger is better, even it not always mean 'reach the target'.

Slow but focus vs Fast but scattered. Is that the comparison of how the younger and older learn?

I think you are trying to compare two people and from that conclude that everyone is the same. Don't compare yourself to your nephew. He is one person you are another. Perhaps he will make a flying start and you will be slow but steady. Hare & Tortoise!

But you could easily find one older person who rushes off, using their experience to sail through the early stages while a younger less confident person stumbles at the beginning.

But basically, don't over think things ... just play and have fun!!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Stereotyping people is fraught with problems. Everyone is different. You can find exceptions to every "rule".

Currently, I have as students a 12 year old girl who is as steady and methodical and dedicated as any student I have seen. She acts like a focused, quiet and mature adult.

And I have an older (well north of 60) self-taught man who has been playing all his life, but just recently came for lessons.

He acts like the stereotypical (yikes! it is very easy to stereotype!) 8 year old high-energy boy, without the high-energy. He cannot stay focused on-topic for more than a few moments, interrupts what I say, doesn't listen, rarely practices his assignments, has a very erratic and disorganized practice regimen.

Joshua, enjoy your piano journey. You are an individual...just do your best and enjoy the ride.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
Joshua, I'm 40 and just started to learn to play the piano about 7 months ago. I'm enjoying it a ton and have really progressed steadily. It's been a dream I've always had and now is the time for me to learn.

Enjoy your journey. It's not a race. smile

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by GracieCat
Enjoy your journey. It's not a race. smile

Wrong. It's a race-journey.

;p

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Rocket, that sounds like the difference between the genders there! smile

(Course in reality, there are no differences between the genders. There are only two types of people. Those who stereotype, and those who don't.)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

(Course in reality, there are no differences between the genders. There are only two types of people. Those who stereotype, and those who don't.)

[Linked Image]

C
C

Along the same lines:

There are two categories of people: those who categorize people and those who don't.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
(Course in reality, there are no differences between the genders.

In reality? In reality it would appear that there are some significant differences.

There are only two types of people. Those who stereotype, and those who don't.)

But isn't this - the categorization of all people into one group or the other - a "stereotype" in and of itself?

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Crit

Along the same lines:

There are two categories of people: those who categorize people and those who don't.

Thus, placing yourself in the 1st category...

JF

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John Frank
(Course in reality, there are no differences between the genders.

In reality? In reality it would appear that there are some significant differences.

There are only two types of people. Those who stereotype, and those who don't.)

But isn't this - the categorization of all people into one group or the other - a "stereotype" in and of itself?

JF

I'm not sure, but I think he meant those as a joke.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I do believe that very irony the whole point of the joke.

Dangit, I've hand a long thoughtful post to this thread percolating in my head for ages, but we're entertaining a wonderful houseguest, so we've either been out and about doing fun summery activities, or having nice long conversations. I've been getting in some good piano time because our guest is a fellow musician, and our conversations have been inspiring. But I've only had time for a few drive-by forum posts.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Originally Posted by John Frank
Originally Posted by Crit

Along the same lines:

Thus, placing yourself in the 1st category...

JF
You don't get it. It's a kind of logical fallacy (does it have a name?) used as a joke. My favourite is in Life of Brian. Brian says to a crowd 'You are all different' One person says 'I'm not'.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmmm, I've always read there are 10 different kinds of people. Those that understand binary and those that do not.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
J
J
I get the idea from this fun discussion. Every individual is difference, comparing our self to some one else is useless. But it is true?

We always need a benchmark to know are we doing thing right and to know where we are. Self teaching miss the most important aspect of learning from a teacher. The teacher will tell us where are we, what to do next, and are we doing thing right or not.

I can be seems very stupid when I feel confidence and then try to perform in hi-school reunion. What I think right can be found that all is wrong, what I feel good can be totally bad. Sound pessimistic? Maybe..

Maybe this is obsolete question that already discussed thousand times. But it will be good if you can share how you measure your self when you do self-teaching. We not only need to measure the end result, we also need to measure the process it self.

-JGL

Love my Privia PX-330
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
My biggest benchmark, the way I measure my playing, is: Do people want to dance to my music? I play with a band for contra dances, Irish step dancing, sometimes swing and other kinds of folk dancing. I also play for some nursing homes. If people at the nursing homes are clapping in time with the music, or dancing, or nodding, or smiling, or whatever, then I know I've accomplished much of what I want to do.

I also get feedback from other musicians I play with - is my rhythm good, are my dynamics good, is my phrasing good, etc.

As for measuring the process itself - have I gotten immense satisfaction out of learning something? Can I play something easily now that was hard for me a year ago? Do I play without pain? Can I accompany other musicians on a tune without having sheet music, at least more often than I used to be able to? Can I play more pieces by heart (from memory) than I used to? Can I recover from mistakes as I play a piece through (I also, of course, practice short sections of pieces - but when I'm playing for dancers or performances I need to be able to play through my mistakes)?

Those are some of my measures. They aren't the same measures other people will use - for one thing, not everyone plays dance music smile

So, for me, there are ways to get feedback without taking formal lessons. I also go to occasional workshops put on by visiting musicians - there's one on polyrhythms coming up soon that I'm really looking forward to.

As for not doing so well when playing at your high school reunion - all of us here know the nerves that go with performing! But that, too, can be practiced - practice playing your piece in front of family and friends, or just with the windows open so the neighbors can hear smile Or record yourself and post it here. Don't try playing your hardest piece - play something that is easier and play it well instead.

Welcome to the ABF, Joshua. This is a great place with lots of like-minded people.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by rocket88

I'm not sure, but I think he meant those as a joke.

I did, thankyou rocket.

I am a she-pianist, of the female sort. Just for reference. wink

Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission