2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Kreisler
[...]
Agreed! I was only speaking of the piano music. I was in the concert chorale in college and we sang 4 or 5 of the vespers (in Russian!) and it was a great experience. They even let me conduct a rehearsal or two, it was wonderful! A friend of mine was is also the tenor soloist for Svete Tikhyi - O Serene Light (#4) on Shaw's recording. (That and the famous Bogoroditsye Devo, Raduisya are my favorites of the set.)

I have that recording; I have admired Dent's singing - all too brief - on that track. Fortunately, he also sings on track 5 (Nyne Otpushchayeshi (Now Let Thy Servant Depart)) and on track 9 (BlagoslovenYesi, Gospodi (Blessed Art Thou, O Lord)) What a beautiful voice, and so suited to this writing.

A local choir recently performed the Vespers - in Russian - and what intrigued me about their performance was the 'Slavic' quality of the tone they produced. (I call it 'Slavic' but what do I know about choral tone?) Not the sweet tones of most European choirs or the sometimes 'purer' tones of English choral groups with boy sopranos but a rather, harder, brassy, at times almost nasal, quality to their tone. I emailed one of the members to ask how the director succeeded in getting that tonal quality from these Canadian singers, but she never responded.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
I will believe, until the day I die, that Rachmaninoff's best work is found in Opp. 32 and 39.

Rachmaninoff's masterwork is the Vespers, Op. 37. If you don't believe me, then it's probably because you haven't heard it live. It is astonishing.

Agreed! I was only speaking of the piano music. I was in the concert chorale in college and we sang 4 or 5 of the vespers (in Russian!) and it was a great experience. They even let me conduct a rehearsal or two, it was wonderful! A friend of mine was is also the tenor soloist for Svete Tikhyi - O Serene Light (#4) on Shaw's recording. (That and the famous Bogoroditsye Devo, Raduisya are my favorites of the set.)

I worked with a local choir in rehearsal for the Vespers.. not through the entire rehearsal period, sadly, but for enough to become completely smitten with the piece. The director was Russian and she really takes the music to heart..

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Bruce, thanks so much for the kind words. Misinformed and unfamiliar? That's what you think I am? Rachmaninoff happens to be my absolute favourite composer. Disrespect? I am planning to do my dma thesis on rach. (yes I'm spiteful. Your post saddened me).

I am usually on my iPhone when here, taking breaks from my practicing and taking advantge of the wifi at my school. It's annoying as it is to type on it, and heck people use short names for a lot of things. So sorry for being such a criminal, it doesn't mean I'm some stupid 20 year old just because sometimes I shorten a name of a composer I happen to love and play more than any other. Actually why am I even making excuses for myself? I've heard lots of people call him rach (even though I don't talk like that in real life) including teachers.

God you people really need to stop being so uptight sometimes.

As for the original post, disasterous sonata? Which planet are you from? It's fine to say you prefer one more than the other but seriously?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
F
F
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by FunkyLlama
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich
Oh get over it

I agree with the OP, and I won't "get over it," even though you hold that ugly pistol to my head. I think it shows a complete lack of respect and a falsely assumed familiarity. As for familiarity or endearment, the man has been dead a number of years, I don't see how one can claim familiarity with him.

Perhaps such references are just laziness which, in itself, is a cultural trend, I fear.

If your real (as opposed to a screen) name is Pogorelich, would you enjoy being referred to as "Pog"?

Regards,
For Christ's sake. Doesn't the fact that Rachmaninoff is her favourite composer and she herself refers to him as 'Rach' make it blindingly clear to you that actually it doesn't imply a lack of respect? Oh, and newsflash - yes, people will frequently assume their abbreviated surname as a nickname. I suppose this means their friends don't respect them.

Disagree with my old-fashioned and/or misguided sense of formality if you will, but please keep profanity out of the discussion.
As Stephen Fry has said on the issue of offence, 'so *** what?' It's the internet, and there will be swearing. If you don't like it, rather than trying to bring discourse to a halt, simply don't take part in the first place. You are the problem here, not me.

Last edited by Kreisler; 07/02/10 06:03 PM. Reason: profanity removed
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Bruce, thanks so much for the kind words. Misinformed and unfamiliar? That's what you think I am? Rachmaninoff happens to be my absolute favourite composer. Disrespect? I am planning to do my dma thesis on rach. (yes I'm spiteful. Your post saddened me).

I am usually on my iPhone when here, taking breaks from my practicing and taking advantge of the wifi at my school. It's annoying as it is to type on it, and heck people use short names for a lot of things. So sorry for being such a criminal, it doesn't mean I'm some stupid 20 year old just because sometimes I shorten a name of a composer I happen to love and play more than any other. Actually why am I even making excuses for myself? I've heard lots of people call him rach (even though I don't talk like that in real life) including teachers.

God you people really need to stop being so uptight sometimes.

As for the original post, disasterous sonata? Which planet are you from? It's fine to say you prefer one more than the other but seriously?

from Uranus, and up here we don't like Rachmaninov's 2nd sonata, we prefer his 1st, and always spell his name as it is, abbreviations will send you to a planet called 'Earth', brrr

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!

Every composer has his champion and his critics. I don't think anyone would begrudge you a passion for the music you love. I may be unmoved by the Chopin Variations, but that doesn't mean the work doesn't deserve a devotee.

I'm on record as being unimpressed with the 2nd sonata, but about 10 years ago, a friend of mine performed it in studio class. It was one of the most memorable performances of any piece I have ever witnessed. On that day, for those 20 minutes, it was the greatest piece of piano music ever written, and he the greatest artist I'd ever heard.

Every piece that's capable of moving even a single listener deserves that chance. To have a champion and a convert, however fleeting the moment may be.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
just be glad to have heard it performed by a great artist, and think: "I just heard a beautiful rendition of the second Sonata of Sergei Rachmaninov by soandso" instead of using the condescending ab.s that reduce it to the level that the users of those ab.s have..

F
F
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
just be glad to have heard it performed by a great artist, and think: "I just heard a beautiful rendition of the second Sonata of Sergei Rachmaninov by soandso" instead of using the condescending ab.s that reduce it to the level that the users of those ab.s have..
Condescending? To whom? I'm sure Rach himself doesn't mind, what with being dead and all.

Last edited by FunkyLlama; 07/02/10 06:45 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[..]

Misinformed? I'm not sure what "misinformed" as opposed to "uninformed" means, but no, I don't think so, nor do I think I said so; you appear to be one of the more musically informed contributors on this site. I know you love Rachamninoff's music; there's no doubt in my mind about that.

As for the Rach vs. Rachmaninoff; I come from a generation where a person's family name is one of his points of pride, and that's why I dislike the "pop culture" trend of abbreviating a surname and why I think it shows a lack of consideration.

I guess I have to move with the times and, as one other poster so tactfully and so generously observed, I should just keep my mouth shut!

No offense, but apologies extended.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Condescending? To whom? I'm sure Rach himself doesn't mind, what with being dead and all.
just stop it, and spell his name, quite a challenge for some people...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You guys are hilarious. Hilarrrious!!

As for me, I'm actually off to practice rach 2nd sonata. =) on a yamaha but whatever.

F
F
just stop it, and spell his name, quite a challenge for some people...
Why should I type his name out in full? Explain to me why I should and I'll be only too glad to.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This is the Internet, do you really think it's a fair representation of who we actually are? Obviously some of the members here think they are above everybody. Wouldn't be the first time music and arrogance have crossed...

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
have fun with the rach 2 son. and do a bit of the chop. et.s, u'll be a great artist, i'm sure, but do not let me get the impres. that u no what ure doing, coss culture has a bloodline going much farther back than one might think, and one is to be encouraged to indulge in that knowledge, if one refuses, art will die.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hmm so now I'm not cultured. Sweet! Didn't know that about myself. Thank you so much mr. Shrink.

F
F
have fun with the rach 2 son. and do a bit of the chop. et.s, u'll be a great artist, i'm sure, but do not let me get the impres. that u no what ure doing, coss culture has a bloodline going much farther back than one might think, and one is to be encouraged to indulge in that knowledge, if one refuses, art will die.
... so abbreviations previously thought harmless are single-handedly destroying art. Yes, that seems feasible.

Last edited by FunkyLlama; 07/02/10 07:27 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
don't take me too seriously, am in a bad modd, beware! XX

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
'mood' it should be, obviously, still bad though..grrr

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Join the club.

This is the Internet, do you really think it's a fair representation of who we actually are?

I think it's a fair representation of how respectful someone is.

I'm always more likely to respond to a post that is well written, and when people have established a reputation of being respectful, I'm far more likely to show them respect as well, even when they don't agree.

If BruceD says "I have to disagree with Kreisler, the 3rd concerto is every bit as well-constructed as the 2nd. The texture is dense, and the structural details are perhaps not as obvious, but they are there nonetheless," then I would be tempted to get the score and recording and give the work a 2nd chance with an open mind.

But if *crzyPIANOnerd* says "ur an idiot, rach 3 is awesome. ur probably just mad that ur not good enuf to play it," then I'd be tempted to stop reading the thread altogether and ignore *crzyPIANOnerd*'s future postings.

Finally, there's really no such thing as "who we really are." As Oscar Wilde wrote, "to hide the artist is art's aim," and there's some truth to that. We all construct images of ourselves for the world to see. Whether it's how we dress, how we act, how we play, how we speak, or how we write, the only thing people have to judge us by is what we give them. This is why I believe the arts exist - it's a means of communication and a medium of self-exploration. It is never the whole truth, but it does give us a unique and interesting glimpse. (And yes, for all you philosophy fans out there, I basically stole all that from Schopenhauer, but I happen to agree with him.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission