2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
Hello Fellow Technicians -

I am new to the field & have a question about finding out the manufacture date of a piano I own. I do in fact have a copy of Pierce Piano Atlas - FYI.

I own a Chickering baby grand built in Boston, Massachusetts. The serial # is 1742.

Pierce Piano Atlas says that is was made between 1830 & 1835. Becuase the Boston factory burned down, I suppose I would have to find a way to get a hold of a representative from either Wurlitzer or Baldwin (former owners of the Chickering name) & ask them if they could give me a more exact manufacture date - at least an exact year or month. Do you know of any other resources that I could take advantage of in order to find out this information?

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

Nate Smith
Smith Piano Servicing
Certified Dampp-Chaser Life Saver Installer
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by nateplayspiano
Hello Fellow Technicians -

I am new to the field & have a question about finding out the manufacture date of a piano I own. I do in fact have a copy of Pierce Piano Atlas - FYI.

I own a Chickering baby grand built in Boston, Massachusetts. The serial # is 1742.

Pierce Piano Atlas says that is was made between 1830 & 1835. Becuase the Boston factory burned down, I suppose I would have to find a way to get a hold of a representative from either Wurlitzer or Baldwin (former owners of the Chickering name) & ask them if they could give me a more exact manufacture date - at least an exact year or month. Do you know of any other resources that I could take advantage of in order to find out this information?

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

I've been told by a technician in my area to look carefully at the first few (1-4) keys on the lower end of the piano, taking out these keys to thoroughly inspect them. There could be writing on the sides or bottoms of these keys, I was told, done by the factory workers.

Nate Smith
Smith Piano Servicing
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I suspect that the number you are looking at is not a serial number. Some indications of the age would be whether it has a cast plate or if it is made of bars and plates fastened together. Is it cross-strung, i.e., do the bass strings cross over the tenor strings? If it has a cast plate, it is not that old. If it is cross-strung, it is even newer. It should be at least 6 feet long, hardly a "baby" grand, to be that age. If it has 85 or more keys, it is newer.

The very early records of Chickering are gone, and the later ones may be in a museum in Rochester, but they would not be at Baldwin.

Semipro Tech
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by BDB
I suspect that the number you are looking at is not a serial number. Some indications of the age would be whether it has a cast plate or if it is made of bars and plates fastened together. Is it cross-strung, i.e., do the bass strings cross over the tenor strings? If it has a cast plate, it is not that old. If it is cross-strung, it is even newer. It should be at least 6 feet long, hardly a "baby" grand, to be that age. If it has 85 or more keys, it is newer.

The very early records of Chickering are gone, and the later ones may be in a museum in Rochester, but they would not be at Baldwin.

BDB -

I'm almost 100% that the number I'm looking at is the serial. What other number could the number I'm seeing be, other than a part number? The bass strings do cross the treble very slightly, but the piano is under 6 feet long (5' 3") & the plate says international pitch 435. It has Victorian-Style features as well - very decorative legs, etc.

Nate Smith
Smith Piano Servicing
B
BDB Offline
B
It is probably a case number. The piano is definitely not from the 1830s. It is probably 50 years or more later.

Semipro Tech
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
a picture or two would be most helpful.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Smithsonian in DC has much of the actual original manufacturer records from Chickering.

I wonder if those records have been digitized?

It might be worth a call to them

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by nateplayspiano
I'm almost 100% that the number I'm looking at is the serial. What other number could the number I'm seeing be, other than a part number? The bass strings do cross the treble very slightly, but the piano is under 6 feet long (5' 3") & the plate says international pitch 435. It has Victorian-Style features as well - very decorative legs, etc.

A Chickering grand of that era would have been a square.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
B
BDB Offline
B
That is confirmed in a history of the company available here. The first grand dates from about 1844.

Semipro Tech
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

Internatioanl pitch A 435 is seen in the 1885 - 1915 period, give or take. At 5'3" I would suspect about 1910 or so and probably a model 122.

Steve

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson

Internatioanl pitch A 435 is seen in the 1885 - 1915 period, give or take. At 5'3" I would suspect about 1910 or so and probably a model 122.

Steve

Steve -

The piano plate also says scale 121. The stringing scale, I suppose.

Thanks for all the responses!

Nathan

Last edited by nateplayspiano; 07/02/10 09:50 PM.

Nate Smith
Smith Piano Servicing
N
OP Offline
N
I'll add some photos this evening.

Nathan

Nate Smith
Smith Piano Servicing
N
OP Offline
N
I will post pictures of mine later, but mine looks almost identical to this one:

http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Antique-Pianos-3969/2009/11/Chickering-Quarter-Grand.jpg

Nathan

Nate Smith
Smith Piano Servicing
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I'm going by memory here but the serial number of this piano is not going to be a four-digit number. It will be somewhere in the low 100,000 range.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Del
I'm going by memory here but the serial number of this piano is not going to be a four-digit number. It will be somewhere in the low 100,000 range.

ddf

DDF -

Where on the piano can I find the serial? Thanks.

Nathan

Nate Smith
Smith Piano Servicing
N
OP Offline
N
Okay -

Thanks for your patience. Here are the photographs.

http://img824.imageshack.us/i/chickering.jpg/

http://img228.imageshack.us/i/06082010510.jpg/

http://img821.imageshack.us/i/06082010500.jpg/

If this is not the serial, then where should I look for the serial?

Nathan

Nate Smith
Smith Piano Servicing
B
BDB Offline
B
Chickering Quarter Grands were made from about 1890 to about the time of WWI, as far as I know. That looks about right for this piano. Sorry, but it is no great rarity. There are lots of them around.

Serial numbers were in a variety of places, but often on the bar that is to the right of the bass strings.

Semipro Tech
N
OP Offline
N
I didn't think it was a rarity, necessarily. I was just trying to figure out how to get an exact date on it. Anyone else have any suggestions? I'm not finding a number on the bass bar.

Nathan

Nate Smith
Smith Piano Servicing
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
If the piano was "rebuilt" at some time in the past you may never find a valid serial number. If the plate was refinished—or even cleaned and scrubbed thoroughly—the original number may have been permanently obliterated. Not all rebuilders replace the SN in the original location; or replace it at all.

Some will stamp it in an out of the way, but still visible, place on the soundboard. I’ve seen it stamped on the face of the bellyrail. Occasionally it will be stamped on the front edge of the keyframe frontrail. Check the inside of the inner rim below the pinblock (you may have to have the action out of the piano for this). Another common location is the front edge of the hammershank action rail.

You can also look underneath the keybed. Or along the back edge of the keybed. Sometimes folks get truly creative when it comes to hiding the SN of a piano.

It is also possible that, like your technician suggested, you might find either a SN or, possibly, a manufacture date on the keys or keyframe.

Sometimes you have to be something of a detective. And, sometimes, just like the real-world detective, you may never solve the case.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

B
BDB Offline
B
There may be a date under the hammer rail. You would not be able to see it without disassembling the action.

Semipro Tech
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission