2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,123 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1463131 06/25/10 10:22 PM
L
Lanette Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi,
Were looking for a piano for our 6 year old son who is doing really well with lessons. Does anyone have any thoughts on this piano?
Sonjin - Black baby grand (4'9")
Model PG-1 (serial# Go23693)
3 years old
they're asking $2500.
found from private party on Craigslit.
Not sure if this brand is any good...we were originally looking for a yamaha u1, but we'd love a baby grand and this price seems afforable to us...
any thoughts?
thank you so much
Lanette

Lanette
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
It's a great price. You should try out both pianos and compare the sound and touch (action) just to be sure you like all aspects of the baby grand.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
3 years old? I don't think so. Sojin stopped making pianos 15-20 years ago.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum.

It's hard to conceive of a 4'9" piano as anything other than a toy or piece of furniture, but to be fair I've never played that specific piano. The U1 has a very solid reputation but condition (verified by independent tech inspection) trumps reputation as the instrument ages beyond a decade or two. Try to be objective about sound and feel before looks if it's something primarily for educational use.

The pianobuyer site (linked at right) should have some info as to what you may encounter in both the new and used market.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I love it when sellers have a lapse of memory as for their realistic time of purchase. This piano as Dale stated was manufactured in 1988 which would make it.....22 years old.
I could see how the owners could get a bit confused in that their daughter who took lessons is now 25 years old instead of 6 years old. grin They think the age is not verifiable. Little do they know of.... Piano World!.

A 22 year old Sojin PG-1 is not what you want at any price!So...ask the sellers if the 10 year warranty is transferable for the remaining 7 years. grin It must be late! sleep

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Ah yes, herein lies the dilemma of shopping for a pre-owned baby grand/grand piano. Misrepresentation of age is probably one of the most common things that happen; yet, the current owners may be confused/mistaken/mislead themselves.

First of all, descent, pre-owned (euphemism for used grin) grand/baby grand pianos in the $2500 range are very rare, except for the very old, or the very undesirable. Secondly, though I would never publically disagree with Pianobroker (I may need his professional opinion free of charge one of these days grin) the Sojin might be a good starter piano, depending on the condition, which only a qualified piano technician could discern.

So, should Lanette pass and keep looking? It’s hard to say. Perhaps if the current owner is made aware that their 3 year old baby grand is actually 20+ years old, they might be willing to come down on the price even further. Just a thought.

Best of luck with your search!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
L
Lanette Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Wow, 22 years old, thank you all for your help! I was'nt sure how to check on the Sojin's serial #'s. I'm used to checking the yamaha's on they're site!
I'll mention to the owner about the age, he said he paid $7k, maybe he has the receipt and I can see where he purchased it!

Just FYI, we looked at a U1 and it came to find out the owner/dealer/whatever he was....shomehow chaged the serial # and was lying abut the age as well! Gee, so many dishonest people out there!
Thank again!
Lanette

Lanette
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
There is some mathematical law at work in the minds of used piano sellers, running something on the lines of "The recalled age of a piano varies inversely as the square of the asking price, except when the old beater is desired to be priced as a rare, expensive, and costly antique."

Given enough data points, the function could be stated more precisely.

And I'll bet a graph would look interesting.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 06/26/10 12:44 PM.

Clef

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
One way to check serial numbers is to post them here. Lots of the posters have Piano Atlases and can look them up for you.

L
Lanette Offline OP
OP Offline
L
We looked at the piano today, it looked/sounded good (for a sojin I guess), obviously not a yamaha, how would I find out the value, or what I should even offer?
thank you for your help!
Piano World is awesome!!

Lanette
Hi Lanette,

I’ve always heard that something is worth what someone is willing to pay and the seller is willing to sell it for. If you think the Sojin baby grand is something you want and would serve your son’s musical needs, then make them an offer.

I doubt you will find a similar baby grand for less than $2500, but then again, some have said they wouldn’t recommend the Sojin at any price. It’s a tough call…

If you really want the piano, offer them $1500 and see what they say. If they say no, neither of you have lost anything. If they say “heck no”, then you know you have made them mad grin. Who knows, they may accept your offer.

Take care,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A friend of mine bought a Sonjin a few years ago. I had never heard of them.so I did some research. Hate to say it, but the impression I got was it was one of the worst pianos to ever hit the market.

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Don't buy just it because you can get it for cheap... it doesn't mean you'll end up liking it. Of course you can probably sell it again later for very little difference.

Originally Posted by Larry Larson
A friend of mine bought a Sonjin a few years ago. I had never heard of them.so I did some research. Hate to say it, but the impression I got was it was one of the worst pianos to ever hit the market.

Oh really? I thought the Tokai piano was the worst piano to ever hit the market. wink smile

Rick

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission