2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
jotur Offline OP
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hope this link works:

Roaring Jelly - Ceilidh at the Round House, Evanston, Wyoming, June 18, 2010

After we were selected to be one of the regional bands playing here and had two performances scheduled, one late morning Friday, and one Saturday afternoon, they e-mailed us and asked if we could also do the opening entertainment on Friday morning at 9:30, and play a dance workshop at 10:30, since one of their acts had cancelled. We said sure - you know the old adage about fools rushing in laugh

The above video was our opening. Martin the lead fiddler played the solo strathspey Braes of Castle Grant, Sky our 17-year-old started the reel set with Red Haired Boy, then Bette (whistle/drum), Gordon (octave mandolin), Cathy (guitar) and yours truly on keyboard joined for another Red Haired Boy, and Soldiers Joy/Whiskey Before Breakfast. I played melody with the fiddles the second time thru Soldiers Joy.

We were in the restored machine shop here, so things are a little echo-ey, but it was a beautiful venue. There were also vendors in this building, so we all got our T-shirts with a list of bands on the back. It's really quite fun to share a billing with Old Blind Dogs and Molly's Revenge smile The dance workshop was outside on a plaza between the machine shop and the partially restored round house, and then we were back in the machine shop for our regularly scheduled performance.

Molly's Revenge with vocalist Moira Smiley played the feature concert Friday night. Their band grew out of a session in California ten years ago. I had thoughts of claiming "oldest musician with a band" status, but their guitar player had me beat by 6 months. The vocalist and their highland bagpipes player had a "dueling banjos" set, and we all agreed the vocalist won. She was amazing.

On Saturday we played outside on the plaza again, and it wasn't exactly a storm, but when we played a tune called The Gale it was entirely appropriate. At one point the wind blew the guitar player's well-anchored sheet music off the stand, and the sound guy caught it, leaned over the stage holding it up, and said "can you see it from here?" Above and beyond the call of duty. The wind was so bad going from Laramie to Evanston on Thursday as I drove up that my gas mileage dropped from 42 mpg on other legs of the trip to 28 laugh

Old Blind Dogs played the headline concert Saturday night, and they were terrific. They're from Aberdeen, Scotland, and tour the US a couple of times a year. This time they played Los Alamos, NM, where our band is based, last Friday night. They recognized our T-shirts smile

There were sessions with all the musicians after both headline concerts, but I was so pooped Saturday I didn't go to that one. But getting to play music with musicians of the caliber of Old Blind Dogs and Molly's Revenge was a highlight.

Someone in the non-classical forum here at PW asked how far people would be willing to go for a gig, and I replied that I had put 2000 miles on my car this last week laugh It was a great gig for us - we did our two originally planned sets on Friday, then took the best and some of the tunes we didn't get to and made up a set for Saturday. Just doing the arrangements for that many sets really upped our game, and the music is great fun.

I think we have a couple of months off, and we're planning a gig at the restaurant where we do St. Pat's sometime in early fall. I think we have some new folks coming to play (the six of us that went to Wyoming are only half of our regulars) so there'll be some changes, but we've come a long ways in 10 years smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Congrats! I enjoyed the video. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
S math sin!!!
Is toigh leam an ceòl seo.

Toe tapping music is always the best, but just one wee question, whaurs' the hammered dulcimer ? laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Cathy - That looks like such fun - you all look like you are having a ball! Do you stand when you practice at home?

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Cathy! You guys sounded terrific! How impressive to be invited to play at this festival. thumb We want to see a picture of you in your t-shirt, though. smile

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
How cool, Cathy! You guys sounded great! (I just wished I could have heard the piano player a little better laugh ). Sounds like you all had a "roaring" good time - and glad you got video to share with all of us.

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What a blast! Thanks for sharing!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
[Linked Image]

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

J
jotur Offline OP
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks you guys.

Bill - if I have a big gig coming up I do run through everything standing up at least once beforehand. That way I know exactly where I want the keyboard, and how to position the pedal, and I'm back in the groove. The pedal is the hardest part. I finally bought two bungee cords and looped them around the base of the stand, close to the front, and put the pedal up against that. Otherwise it just moves away from me.

Ejay - I haven't played the hammered dulcimer in a while. I spend so much time on the keyboards that I don't have time to do both. It has a great sound on this music, though, and one of the other acts had one. We have a band here in northern New Mexico called Hands Five that has an outstanding hammered dulcimer player, and I really like it.

Maybe we'll have to get a band picture in our T-shirts.

Riddler - that's exactly how we felt laugh The sound guy kept telling us about all these other festivals and how we could set up a tour and make three or four of them. <snort> But he thought we were getting paid, too. Not us! We did it for a small stipend to the band for gas money - which I'm not sure we'll get! But it was fun anyway.

Any way, I'm glad you like the videos.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Cathy - that was so very entertaining, tapping my foot all the while. Fun was had by all, no doubt about it.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Cathy,
I am glad to hear your Wyoming gig was a roaring success! Sounds as if you are really enjoying the performing aspect and honing your game with so many.

Enjoy the couple of months off, I know that the Santa Fe Summers are splendid.

I once was driving from Casper to Denver and the head wind was so bad I could only do 50MPH, in my pickup, with the gas pedal on the floor!
Carl

J
jotur Offline OP
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Carl - ah yes. The plains around Denver. My family was traveling to a funeral one time in a heck of a storm and my brother's camper pickup was precarious,so we conferred on the side of the road about how much further to go that evening. Finally my older brother said it all - "If we can only go 35 mph, then an hour from now we'll only be 35 miles down the road." We found a motel laugh

Glen - I'm glad your foot was tapping. Although we sound much better than the audio in the video, we feel like if we've gotten the feet going we've done most of our job.

Cathy

Cathy
That sounded terrific, Cathy! thumb
Who said that piano playing has to be a solitary experience.

Nothing is accomplished without enthusiasm. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Cathy, I'm sure that was great. One of these days I gotta sign up for facebook so I can see it. grin It really sounds like fun.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Okay, okay, I broke down and joined. I guess I don't have to do anything else but watch the occasional video, right? That was terrific fun!

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

J
jotur Offline OP
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Dennis, my heart goes out to you laugh I didn't join for years and years. Then a friend of mine had grandkids - really cute grandkids. There is NOTHING on my facebook page. But I can watch the band videos laugh That's it! I hate facebook laugh What's wrong with good old-fashioned youtube?

Thanks for the comment. We've always been a band that has fun, thank goodness. I wouldn't be there if we weren't laugh

There were a couple of threads around about how to cancel your facebook account. . .might be worth a search -

Cathy

Cathy

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Wish I could have been there -- it looks like it would have been such fun, and I would have been able to hear much better. Congrats on your high-profile gig!

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission