2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
And that reminds me, Seymour Bernstein's Birds is another collection which is perfect for a recalcitrant student.

Huh? Book 2 is a little better than Book 1, but my students really dislike Birds. Heck, even I dislike Birds.

Insects are better.

Last edited by AZNpiano; 06/28/10 01:28 AM.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
But of course your students dislike Birds. And would it surprise you that mine love it?

But really, there's very little music for piano where students actually get to sit on the keyboard.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i receive the failing to thrive students from my 'real piano teacher friend'.. the kids want to quit. the parents want them to take lessons. they are sick sick of classical and for the most part want to learn 'new things'.

I have all of them learn arpeggios and inversions in every key as well as play/learn I, IV, V, chords. They come to like this exercise... although they start out kicking and screaming with the horror of actually exercising.

i have taught Katchaturian's Tocatta.. easy to show, difficult to read.

Richard Claderman (believe it or not girls adore this book of music).. it's a blue book).

Great Movie Themes (everyone love Titanic)

I choose songs in particular keys to match the arpeggios we study. The chord names are included (fake music if you will). I have them play melody with chordal accompaniment to supplement.. i teach accompanying patterns.

It's really fun for me, and them to teach this way and for the most part they really thrive.. I am trying to get them to the point where they will want to practice and learn on their own as they go thru life.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Students are canny and can sense how you feel about a piece. Not so long ago, I was talking with a student and parent about more contemporary repertoire. Mom wasn't all that excited but wasn't against it. It wasn't until I dove into the first of the three Fantastic Dances by Shostakovitch, that daughter came alive. Without saying so, she detected that I really love his piano works.

One of my colleagues up the road a bit, Dr. William H. Chapman Nyaho, has published a very interesting set of five books titled: Piano Music of Africa and the African Diaspora. It's published by Oxford Press, if I recall correctly. There's a huge amount of really interesting piano music in this collection and it could well be a student saver/motivator for the right student.

I bring this up not only to give Nyaho a plug for some excellent work, but because you really have to explore 20th/21st century music a lot.

And that reminds me, Seymour Bernstein's Birds is another collection which is perfect for a recalcitrant student. Middle schoolers going through the "phase" may be ripe for The Vulture. It's dark and foreboding. Just what many of them love.

John or anyone else who has the scores of "Birds":
I have tried several online retailers and am told this music is out of print.
Any ideas on where it can be purchased? Performances are on youtube and one of my students is interested.

Piano Teacher
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
He is now exclusively published by Manduca.

http://www.manducamusic.com/BernsteinPiano1.htm

I, too, LOVE Birds. Don't care for volume 2, though.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
As we're discussing music which can serve as "student savers and motivators" here is another set which I have found very useful. Summer Vacation by Katherine Rollin. The harmonies are tradition, for the most part, I, IV, V, etc., with a few VI chords thrown in for modernization, but not radically modern like Birds.

The titles are intriguing, and I've found that young ladies, in particular, who are quite concerned with issues of popularity, acceptance, etc., tend to really like this set. Some of the titles are: School's Out, Bicycling, Sleepover, Sailing, Running.

In fact, many of the pieces can be used as direct substitutes for "classical" teaching pieces. The Bicycling piece can be substituted for Clementi Op 36, n.1, 3rd movement.

FWIW, that Sailing number seems to have a real hook. A number of parents have commented to me how much they like it and how happy they are that their student likes it and plays it so much. The piece itself is nothing but I, IV, V arpeggios, but you know, that's what people hear and like.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I know how they feel. Personal experience, i felt really bored nothing seemed interesting. I changed teacher and new interesting different styled pieces. Not saying this is the case

I've been sitting on this thought for a while. Please feel free to disregard it if it's off base.
...so I end up separating the voices, or shaping a given phrase, and doing the same things we've always done.

I'm struck both by the fact that you are doing this, and that you have always done so. There comes a time as we advance that we realize that there is another side to music besides playing harder pieces and making them sound good. Music becomes interesting in a new way, and I don't think that we can really advance past a certain point if we don't clue in on that. There is everything that is behind music, what we use to approach it, and then actually approaching it. I wonder if these students have connected to this.

If you are separating the voices and shaping the phrases, then they aren't. One can say that if a teacher does this, then the exam results will be better, because who knows better than you with your expertise? But to me as a student it's still riding the surface. Even if I got fantastic grades and everyone praised me to the hilt I'd feel I was missing something.

One of the teachers wrote of getting disaffected advanced transfers and teaching them chords, and I think improvising. Is their interest rekindled because it is more fun, or because they are getting into understanding and shaping music themselves?

Teachers are suggesting repertoire. What if it's not the pieces, but what can be done with music - a shift in focus?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, one reason for suggesting alternate repertoire is to help the student discover music which reaches into them and with which they can express themselves. If you don't find Bach's inventions interesting, then try as you might, you'll probably not be able to do much with it musically.

I understand, John, but there is more to music than repertoire. There is the substance of music. When you start understanding what we call "theory" but in an alive way, and you start delving into music then any music becomes alive. The act of working through music, discovering things about it, forming your own "informed" interpretation, is exciting especially if brand new. If that world has not opened up, and it does, that can be a powerful motivator.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Here's a piece that saved one student:

Gwyneth Walker, "Rhythms from the North Country"

http://www.gwynethwalker.com/rhythmsf.html

Enjoy!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Perhaps, perhaps not. When I was young, I had a very strong distaste for the jazz idiom. You could give me all the theory in the world, and it wouldn't have mattered. I would have quit lessons if my teacher had insisted on jazz.

B
B
As a "student" I seemed to have the opposite experience. Being mostly self taught with very little formal training, I reached a certain level on my own and then plateued for several years but would always keep playing for myself at home. Then after many years of no lessons i finally found an appropriate but very demanding teacher who was able to show me the light and I made several breakthrus in only a couple years.

So non-taught student hits plateau and solves it by getting teacher.

So student taking lessons hits plateau should quit teacher?

Same logic but in reverse, but I don't know that that sounds like a good idea. How about some of these ideas instead-

A students interest and ambition needs to come from within somehow. They need to want to improve. You can't make them but you can find ways to nurture and coax them along a little. Ask yourself what would make a student want to get better.

1. Some have already suggest a showy or flashy piece they can show off to friends.

2. Finding opportunities to do more performing would be another thing, whether it be solo performances, like for church. Or joining a band. Or just getting together informally with a couple other people to jam. Playing with just one other person can be lots of fun. Or how about Open Mics nights. Or any other "Goals" to work towards.

3. Try listening to a lot of new and different music. This motivates me a lot. When I hear a really cool piece then I want to be able to play it, even if it's difficult. Try new styles if you haven't already like in the Jazz family- Blues, Boogie etc. Upbeat stuff can be a great alternative to classical and new age pieces.

4. I hate to say it but sometimes a change of teacher can be refreshing and good change of pace. Every teacher has strengths and weaknesses and I always think it's a good idea to learn from as many different people as possible. I am planning on doing this myself and rotate thru a few I know and may even go back to the same one a couple times.

But #3 is what I suggest first.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Here's a piece that saved one student:

Gwyneth Walker, "Rhythms from the North Country"

http://www.gwynethwalker.com/rhythmsf.html

Enjoy!

Thanks! This is wonderful.

Piano Teacher
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
While I'm grateful for the repertoire suggestions, upon further reflection, that's not really the problem. They both like almost everything I choose. (I've asked them to choose, btw; they have occasionally.) They simply don't place a value on practicing enough or can't make the changes to their lifestyles that piano would necessitate. I have given them performance opportunities, but they don't practice enough for a solid performance. It always sounds like a good read-through.

I suspect they don't really know how long they'd have to practice a piece to really show it. I can't handle giving more than about twelve lessons on a given piece. I usually tell them to keep practicing it after that and show it later if desired. However, by then, we're usually onto the next thing. At their slow practice rate, more than twelve weeks on the same piece wouldn't really make for interesting lessons.

At times, I envision what it would be like to teach only advanced students. I wonder how university professors do it. You'd have to see about two hours per day of practicing from the student to make an interesting lesson, I would think.

Last edited by Candywoman; 06/29/10 01:16 AM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
You can lead a horse to water...

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
In fact, I require a minimum of 2 hours a day from my university students, but few of them actually do it and it shows. Very frustrating. I don't have this problem at all with my high school students.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
B
B
Hey, I don't mean to sound promotional or anything, but it sounds like my new idea would work out really well in your situation. I'm creating online 6 week courses for building up musical fundamentals. These should enhance student's playing as well as free up your time to work on what you want to! You can read more about it in this thread: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...l%20Supplemental%20Cour.html#Post1465074

www.BreathePiano.com - a refreshing alternative to traditional piano lessons.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Breathe Piano, hey I don't mean to sound mean, but yeah, I reckon you do sound promotional or something, because your new idea doesn't seem to address the concern of this thread at all. But I'm only guessing because access has been denied to the link you put up.....!!!!

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
B
B
Elissa,

the person is saying that her advanced students are spending too much time working on fundamentals and not enough time music making. That is the whole point of this. You can check it out at CreatingMusicians.com. Please understand that this is completely free for you teachers as well.

Last edited by Breathe Piano; 06/29/10 07:24 PM.

www.BreathePiano.com - a refreshing alternative to traditional piano lessons.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission