Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
153 registered members (anotherscott, Beowulf, Agent88, bennevis, ahinton, AlphaBravoCharlie, ajames, 34 invisible), 1,837 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? #1461224
06/22/10 08:35 PM
06/22/10 08:35 PM
M
Magnolia88 Offline OP
Magnolia88  Offline OP
M

My teacher said she thought it would take me 2 months....I think it will take me 6 months to play it in a way that I would enjoy listening to it. I'm 2 months in and "maybe" 1/2 way there. Sometimes I think the piece is beyond my ability to learn and I should have waited, but she selected it for me so I think she would know. I am getting there....just slowly...must be painful for her to listen to my lesson smile

Currently Learning:
Claire de Lune (assigned)
Stephen Heller Etudes (assigned)
Memorizing Solfigietto (assigned)
Many other pieces (for fun)

Yamaha Keyboard
Yamaha GC1

Life is simpler when you only have to play the white keys....
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: Magnolia88] #1461236
06/22/10 08:53 PM
06/22/10 08:53 PM
Virginia, USA
A
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A

Virginia, USA
My teacher likes me to have pieces that we can work on for along time and have some smaller (easier!) pieces so we're doing more than just one thing. Sounds like you have that too so as long as you keep progressing, and your teacher doesn't commit suicide in front of you ;), I don't see a problem.

I personally could never have the patience to listen to me play and then say, "That's great".

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: Andy Platt] #1461389
06/23/10 04:24 AM
06/23/10 04:24 AM
Berlin
Bunneh Offline
Bunneh  Offline

Berlin
I can't answer your question because I haven't learned this piece yet, but I spent 4-6 months on several pieces, even the first Bach invention. I'd not worry that you're slow in any way!

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: Bunneh] #1461471
06/23/10 08:23 AM
06/23/10 08:23 AM
Scotland
T
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ten left thumbs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Scotland
Are you enjoying it Magnolia?

I have a student learning Claire De Lune. It's way above her level. It will take her years to learn. She knows this. She loves every second! smile

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: ten left thumbs] #1461637
06/23/10 12:35 PM
06/23/10 12:35 PM
MA, USA
B
blueston Offline
blueston  Offline
B

MA, USA
Well I never finished it properly but I SO wanted to learn it and definitely plan go back to it one day because it's such a great piece. The extended arpeggios and all the black keys just drove me nutty plus I didn't quite get the compound time in the intro.

What makes this piece even harder than it needs to be is there usually are no fingering suggestions on most editions, although I did eventual find one edition with fingering.

When I go back to this one I will probably practice my arpeggios in all 12 keys, 4 octaves for a few weeks first. Then I will do what you're supposed to do and take it one measure at a time x 10-20 reps before even looking at the next measure. It's hard to accept it but this is actually the faster way to learn a piece like this rather than just trying to read all the way thru each time.

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: blueston] #1461732
06/23/10 02:47 PM
06/23/10 02:47 PM
Scotland
T
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ten left thumbs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Scotland
The arpeggios in the left hand are a real challenge. Important to get the finger over- and under bit going smooth, before trying to build up speed.

As for the black notes, trust me, if those were white notes, it would be ten times more difficult!

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: Magnolia88] #1461759
06/23/10 03:18 PM
06/23/10 03:18 PM
Boston
J
jcabraham Offline
jcabraham  Offline
J

Boston
Originally Posted by Magnolia88
My teacher said she thought it would take me 2 months....I think it will take me 6 months to play it in a way that I would enjoy listening to it. I'm 2 months in and "maybe" 1/2 way there. Sometimes I think the piece is beyond my ability to learn and I should have waited, but she selected it for me so I think she would know. I am getting there....just slowly...must be painful for her to listen to my lesson smile

Your sig says you're learning Heller Etudes as well. Which ones? The op. 45? How long does one of those take you?

JCA

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: Andy Platt] #1461762
06/23/10 03:21 PM
06/23/10 03:21 PM
Boston
J
jcabraham Offline
jcabraham  Offline
J

Boston
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
My teacher likes me to have pieces that we can work on for along time and have some smaller (easier!) pieces so we're doing more than just one thing. Sounds like you have that too so as long as you keep progressing, and your teacher doesn't commit suicide in front of you ;), I don't see a problem.

I personally could never have the patience to listen to me play and then say, "That's great".

*Your* sig says you're learning both K545 and the "arpeggio" minuet in g major. Is that an example of what you said above? Learn some smaller, easier pieces in addition to swallowing the pig? How long is it taking you?

Stuff is definitely taking me tooo long.

JCA

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: jcabraham] #1461766
06/23/10 03:24 PM
06/23/10 03:24 PM
Virginia, USA
A
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by jcabraham
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

*Your* sig says you're learning both K545 and the "arpeggio" minuet in g major. Is that an example of what you said above? Learn some smaller, easier pieces in addition to swallowing the pig? How long is it taking you?

Stuff is definitely taking me tooo long.

JCA

I started on the minuet last Thursday and it's in pretty good shape. Still hitting a few wrong notes and the fingering needed for Bach trips me up every now and then. I suspect she'll call it more or less done tomorrow at my lesson.

I've been working on the Allegro of the Mozart since the beginning of May. That's very very slow going, particularly getting it smoothly up to speed. Only the first 16 bars or so are in reasonable shape at speed, the rest needs about a 40 bpm increase.

Kawai K3
Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: Andy Platt] #1461931
06/23/10 06:47 PM
06/23/10 06:47 PM
Sydney
C
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member
custard apple  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

Sydney
Hi Magnolia
I think 2 months is unrealistic if your teacher expects you to get it up to tempo as well.
I learnt one and a half pages and have given up temporarily to devote my practice time to jazz.
BTW it's the 7th most downloaded piece on Musicnotes.

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: ten left thumbs] #1461935
06/23/10 06:52 PM
06/23/10 06:52 PM
M
Magnolia88 Offline OP
Magnolia88  Offline OP
M

Yes, ten thumbs, I am enjoying it very much. I hope my teacher doesn't think I'm not practicing. I have the first 3 pages pretty much "basically covered" and now working on the key change. I found Hugh Sung's tutorial, Claire de Lune from scratch. It is pretty amazing. I struggled with the left hand arpeggio on page 3 and he gave an alternative fingering and now it seems pretty easy. That really demonstrated to me how important fingering is. I never learned this during my 4 years of piano lessons during my childhood (among many other things such as how to practice). Making up for lost time now, but loving it! I am getting lots of great tips from the pianists on this site and am very appreciative of all the input.
Deb

Currently Learning:

Yamaha Keyboard
Yamaha GC1

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: blueston] #1461937
06/23/10 06:56 PM
06/23/10 06:56 PM
M
Magnolia88 Offline OP
Magnolia88  Offline OP
M

Blueston,
I am so tickled by your "black keys" comment. I think the minute my teacher found out that I don't play anthing more than 4 flats or 2 sharps, she decided to assign me Claire de Lune...lol. She actually snuck it up on me after doing some black key scales and arpeggios...very sneaky! Well, at least I can say I'm not afraid of those anymore and have actually started to play other pieces in the "black key" signatures, so this has a bonus effect. YAY!

Currently Learning:

Yamaha Keyboard
Yamaha GC1

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: jcabraham] #1461941
06/23/10 07:02 PM
06/23/10 07:02 PM
M
Magnolia88 Offline OP
Magnolia88  Offline OP
M

Hi JCA,

I recently started the Heller studies. My teacher assigned me OP 45, No 22 (Song of the Harp), but said I could do No 16 and No 1 as well). I'm working on 22 and it is pretty straightforward. I can play through it reasonably smoothly at 1/2 -3/4 tempo after about a week...it has somewhat of a sad or down feeling...not sure how to describe it. I was not familiar with this composer and researched him, but no info regarding the background or musical intention of No 22. I have a copy of the entire Op45 and it would be cool to learn the whole thing. smile

Currently Learning:

Yamaha Keyboard
Yamaha GC1

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: jcabraham] #1461944
06/23/10 07:08 PM
06/23/10 07:08 PM
M
Magnolia88 Offline OP
Magnolia88  Offline OP
M

JCA,

I was wondering if it was taking me too long, but then I also stop to remember that everyone has a different practice time allotment. I try to practice daily, however I work long hours and miss a day now and then. Practice is sometimes from 10-11 at night and I'm tired. I try to get in 4-6 hours on the weekend, but sometimes it is 2-3.

So I am thinking that my expectations of myself are probably greater than reality...lol.

Currently Learning:

Yamaha Keyboard
Yamaha GC1

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: Magnolia88] #1461988
06/23/10 08:15 PM
06/23/10 08:15 PM
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
CebuKid  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What ABRSM grade level is Claire de Lune? smile Just curious...it's on my lifetime "to learn" list.

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: CebuKid] #1462006
06/23/10 08:46 PM
06/23/10 08:46 PM
M
Magnolia88 Offline OP
Magnolia88  Offline OP
M

I'm not really sure as I'm not familiar with that ranking system. I'm sure others will know.

Currently Learning:

Yamaha Keyboard
Yamaha GC1

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: CebuKid] #1462030
06/23/10 09:31 PM
06/23/10 09:31 PM
Virginia, USA
A
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by CebuKid
What ABRSM grade level is Claire de Lune? smile Just curious...it's on my lifetime "to learn" list.

The reference I use (Graded Pieces) says grade 7. Your mileage may vary!

Kawai K3
Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: Andy Platt] #1462108
06/23/10 11:46 PM
06/23/10 11:46 PM
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ll  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
L

It's also in the Keith Snell Grade 10 book, I think, which is basically Beginning Advanced.

I think it's wonderful that you have a 'difficult' piece you're working on along with the rest. I personally believe that to really grow, you need:

a) a 'hard' piece that will really push you and take a lot of time and work, taking out the kinks slowly,
b) two-three 'at level' pieces that are playable by you but still take some time to really develop your technique, and
c) a bazillion easier pieces that are good for review, transposing/sight-reading/sight-transposing, analysis, and most importantly, EGO laugh

Good luck with Clair de Lune. By the level of your other pieces, I'm think even 6 months is a stretch, but really, you'll go as far as the amount of effort you put into it. ENJOY!

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: ll] #1462259
06/24/10 08:07 AM
06/24/10 08:07 AM
Greenport, New York
salzdt Offline
salzdt  Offline

Greenport, New York
Hi Magnaolia,
I have similar story. I asked my teacher about working on a Chopin Nocturne. I had worked on a Chopin Etude, No. 28, No. 4, Back Invention No 13, and Schumann, Op15, No. 1, Strange Lands and People. Well she chose Chopin Nocture No. 32, Op1, B Major. It is a work in progress, over 4 months. I almost have it memorized, but there are many areas wtih trills, and chords that require large stretches. Plus the last half page is strange, if you listen to it you will know what I mean. Anyway, I think if I continue working on it, eventrally it may sound acceptable. Not sure if I would ever enter it in the ABF recital. I am now working on a Debussy piece, Little Shepard. Lots of pedal work, but I should be able to master it in less than fours months. thumb
Dot

[Linked Image]
Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: Magnolia88] #1462386
06/24/10 12:52 PM
06/24/10 12:52 PM
MA, USA
B
blueston Offline
blueston  Offline
B

MA, USA
Originally Posted by Magnolia88
Blueston,
I am so tickled by your "black keys" comment. I think the minute my teacher found out that I don't play anthing more than 4 flats or 2 sharps, she decided to assign me Claire de Lune...lol. She actually snuck it up on me after doing some black key scales and arpeggios...very sneaky! Well, at least I can say I'm not afraid of those anymore and have actually started to play other pieces in the "black key" signatures, so this has a bonus effect. YAY!

Yeah, but as Ten Left Thumbs said, technically the black keys are probably easier to play than white keys. The thing I find hard about the black keys is I have trouble knowing quickly exactly what they are because they can be enharmonically 2 different notes- G# or Aflat for example, and this slows down my recognition of what I am playing and visualization of what's going on. It probably sounds a little stupid, but for me, it adds a layer of abstraction I would rather not have.

I think if you can recognize the chords and visualize what you are doing it makes a piece like this much easier as you can think in those terms and/or memorize what you are doing.

Just to add another comment about spending a long time on a piece. I once spent between 6-9 months learning Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# minor and never regretted a moment of it because I loved the piece so much. I was so proud to eventually be able to play a piece of this caliber and fairly well too. It's the first piece I put that much time and effort into and the rewards were well worth it.

I think it helped me break thru a barrier to a new level, increased my confidence, and opened up new possibilities I would have been afraid to attempt otherwise.

Re: How long did it take you to learn Claire de Lune? [Re: blueston] #1462619
06/24/10 09:15 PM
06/24/10 09:15 PM
M
Magnolia88 Offline OP
Magnolia88  Offline OP
M

I think it helped me break thru a barrier to a new level, increased my confidence, and opened up new possibilities I would have been afraid to attempt otherwise.[/quote]

That is exactly how I am feeling....Claire de Lune is really helping me to see what I might be able to accomplish! I never thought I would be able to play such a piece.

Currently Learning:

Yamaha Keyboard
Yamaha GC1

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New old guy here; just starting piano journey at 58!
by PianoWVBob. 11/15/18 03:38 PM
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,344
Posts2,761,422
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission