2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, 36251, chopinetto, Beemer, Adam Edin, andredatele, Beowulf, Bruce In Philly, Boria0, 15 invisible), 675 guests, and 496 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Going to start shopping for an acoustic piano
ChrisA #1462379 06/24/10 12:40 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by ChrisA

Wow, Dewster is really taking a beating here. I gotta say I agree with him though. There really is no reason to have short loop times and stretched samples in today's DPs at any price. But that's the way the consumer market works.

Two things are going on here. The first is that buyers, despite saying they want various features shop by price. In the end it's the price.

The second is that I think Dewster is only measuring what he can easly measure and misses the subtle things that determine sound. Does looping really matter. In the music you play how many times do you hold a note for over four seconds. At nominal 120 BPS tempo in 4/4 time a whole note is 2 seconds. the big majority of the bnotes you play never get into the loopped part of the sample. Most that do are part of left hand chords with right hand notes played over them. How often do you play a single note alone for several seconds? Looping may not metter for most music once the non-loopped sample is more then a whole note long at your playing tempo.

Same with stretching, I've notice a timbre change but it too is rare. I have to be playing just the "right" run of a single line of notes.

I think what matters most is the overall tone of the notes, do they sound harsh or ring. Are they to bright or not bright enough.

Same with measuring a key's static weight by placing coins on a white key until it moves down. We do this because it is easy to measure but static weight does not describe the feel of a key action.

Hey, some people say Im overly picky. I just know what I want. laugh And I was never complaining about having looping. I just think it is unnecessary now due to the inexpensiveness of large amounts of memory these days.

I should probably stop whining and just be happy with my sub $650 piano and not expect it to sound as good as even a $3000 upright. For the price, its alot of piano!

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
BazC #1462390 06/24/10 12:55 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BazC
No he's not taking a beating, he's just being disagreed with - that's what happens when you present extreme views on a public forum.

For the record, on this end it does feel like something of a beating. And are my views really so extreme that I deserve public mistreatment?

dewster #1462420 06/24/10 01:44 PM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I think it's OK to express how you feel (like a beating) because that's your personal feeling that you should be able to freely express. However, saying that you're being publicly mistreated is not OK because implies malicious intents by others toward you, while all they've been doing is just expressing their disagreements with you. I've seen strong opinions posted so far, but I haven't seen anything malicious that might have degraded the discussion into name-calling or mud-slinging, at least to a level where it deserves to be called "public mistreatment".

I think your view on the looping is not extreme if you're talking about a particular instrument where it has really short sample times and looping is really done poorly and can really be audibly detected by almost everyone, and samples are severely stretched. But I think your view becomes extreme and heavily biased when you stereotype any DP that has looping as unacceptable regardless of how long the sample lengths are or how well the looping is done, even if there's no visible and audible stretching at all.

dewster #1462423 06/24/10 01:55 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
For the record, on this end it does feel like something of a beating. And are my views really so extreme that I deserve public mistreatment?

How exactly have you been mistreated?

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
Volusiano #1462436 06/24/10 02:40 PM
A
Art A. Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Volusiano
You should start a thread over at the Piano Forum to detail your search for an acoustic. ......

Oh I definately will once I get some of the basics sorted out on my end. I am trying to not pay interest anymore unless absolutely necessary (mortgage etc), so I will either have to sell some stuff off and buy in the lower end of what I'm looking at or I can enjoy my roland for a few years and buy in the upper end of what I'm looking at then. Do I have the maturity to not get into paying interest for something that is a luxury ? We'll see laugh

Art A. #1462455 06/24/10 03:18 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by Art A.
You should start a thread over at the Piano Forum to detail your search for an acoustic. ......

Oh I definately will once I get some of the basics sorted out on my end. I am trying to not pay interest anymore unless absolutely necessary (mortgage etc), so I will either have to sell some stuff off and buy in the lower end of what I'm looking at or I can enjoy my roland for a few years and buy in the upper end of what I'm looking at then. Do I have the maturity to not get into paying interest for something that is a luxury ? We'll see laugh

Are these new pianos you are talking about? Have you considered used pianos?? I would hope so as you can find amazing deals.

Volusiano #1462457 06/24/10 03:29 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
However, saying that you're being publicly mistreated is not OK because implies malicious intents by others toward you, while all they've been doing is just expressing their disagreements with you. I've seen strong opinions posted so far, but I haven't seen anything malicious that might have degraded the discussion into name-calling or mud-slinging, at least to a level where it deserves to be called "public mistreatment".

You're right, I withdraw my "public mistreatment" statement.

I think I just need to invest in some thicker skin.

dewster #1462504 06/24/10 04:55 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BazC and ChrisA make some excellent points above.

One thing I would like to clarify however:

Originally Posted by BazC
...Kawai sample every key apparently, no stretching at all. So their DPs should sound vastly better than Yamaha's or Roland's...

It should be noted that most - if not all - modern Roland DPs also employ 88-key piano sampling.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Kawai James #1462507 06/24/10 05:01 PM
And there's little to say that 88-note sampling is better than fewer-note sampling. Indeed, by skipping some samples, they can avoid the dreaded treble break.

MacMacMac #1462523 06/24/10 05:29 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
And there's little to say that 88-note sampling is better than fewer-note sampling.

Indeed. Though absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Indeed, by skipping some samples, they can avoid the dreaded treble break.

What, pray tell, is "the dreaded treble break"?

dewster #1462542 06/24/10 06:31 PM
S
S
Dewster:

I found this thread which I think describes the phenomenon:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1126105/Tenor%20break.html

I don't know if this is close but could this explain the four stretched notes that you found in the recent ca-63/cn-33 samples? Maybe smoothing over some inconsistencies caused by such breaks?

Dave Horne #1462605 06/24/10 08:43 PM
of course if there is any single opportunity of comfortably owning an acoustic piano (taking into account of the weight, mobility, etc), I would like to have one. Currently I could only afford to have a digital one (I move quite often). One advantage of a DP besides mobility is easy-recording and various tones.

If you can afford to have both, that's terrific.

Art A. #1462612 06/24/10 09:04 PM
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
I am trying to not pay interest anymore unless absolutely necessary (mortgage etc), so I will either have to sell some stuff off and buy in the lower end of what I'm looking at or I can enjoy my roland for a few years and buy in the upper end of what I'm looking at then.

Originally Posted by JoeyIsFunny

Are these new pianos you are talking about? Have you considered used pianos?? I would hope so as you can find amazing deals.

+1

When buying used, you're substituting time for money. It may help to regard auditioning pianos as an adventure which will end with your getting a super deal on a piano that you really want.

The best used piano money that you can spend is that spent for a prepurchase inspection by an experienced tech who has no affiliation with the seller. Bring in the tech when you've found a piano that you think you want to buy.

FogVilleLad #1462705 06/25/10 01:23 AM
A
Art A. Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Its funny was just 8 hours ago or whatever I that posted I'm in no rush and will take the time to choose wisely and time things in a way to not pay interest on my purchase.

Yet now I've become hyper aware of everything. Practicing at home tonight was like walking into a restaurant and smelling bleach from freshly washed floors. You lose your appetite so quickly. I think I'll start that thread in the other section now.

Kawai James #1462722 06/25/10 03:16 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
It should be noted that most - if not all - modern Roland DPs also employ 88-key piano sampling.

I wasn't aware of that thanks for the info James!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
BazC #1462732 06/25/10 03:49 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
"What, pray tell, is "the dreaded treble break"?"

The top part of the piano is stringed with 3 parallel all steel strings without copper. But as tones get lower the strings need to get longer. And at some point they don't fit anymore. At that point they switch to steel with copper around it (instead of making the strings longer). Then a few notes lower they don't have the space to put in 3 of these anymore and they switch to 2 and then only 1 string with copper.

This messing with the strings causes artefacts in the tone. And that artefact is called the treble break

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
superwang #1462779 06/25/10 07:49 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by superwang
Dewster:

I found this thread which I think describes the phenomenon:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1126105/Tenor%20break.html

I don't know if this is close but could this explain the four stretched notes that you found in the recent ca-63/cn-33 samples? Maybe smoothing over some inconsistencies caused by such breaks?

That's a great thread superwang, thanks! And thanks for the concise explanation wouter79! I see over on that thread they call it the "tenor break" which makes more sense as it is a break between the bass strings and the ones above it.

The tenor break on our Young Chang happens over the interval [A#2,B2].

The stretch groups on the Kawai are [A6,A#6] and [B6,C7,C#7,D7] or 4 octaves higher.

So that's out as a possible explanation for the stretching.

dewster #1462946 06/25/10 02:32 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Yes the usual location is around A2. It often also coincides with a switch from the bass bridge to the treble bridge, adding extra issues with this break.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
wouter79 #1463117 06/25/10 08:46 PM
A
Art A. Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I was just looking at vids on youtube searching roland 307, my digital piano and I found this vid where at 57 seconds you can hear the one nuance of the roland 307 that is driving my bonkers. You can hear the ring, weeweeweeeweeewee. If a cheesy digital cam managed to capture it and still showed up on a compressed youtube video think of how it sounds in real life when you are playing for an hour. weeeweeeweeweeweewee... arrghhhhhh!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpsCTAzBKGI

Art A. #1463162 06/25/10 10:13 PM
J
J
I was just looking at vids on youtube searching roland 307, my digital piano and I found this vid where at 57 seconds you can hear the one nuance of the roland 307 that is driving my bonkers. You can hear the ring, weeweeweeeweeewee. If a cheesy digital cam managed to capture it and still showed up on a compressed youtube video think of how it sounds in real life when you are playing for an hour. weeeweeeweeweeweewee... arrghhhhhh!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpsCTAzBKGI

I didnt notice anything unpleasant or unusual... sounds like a pretty good piano sustain sound to me?? But Im a newb haha

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner looking for purchase advice
by savagekeys - 12/05/20 11:21 AM
Fazioli soundboards
by Withindale - 12/05/20 10:08 AM
Practice and resting
by Ubu - 12/05/20 05:25 AM
Strange phenomena....
by piano_primo - 12/05/20 12:55 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,279
Posts3,030,850
Members99,491
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission