2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
oceanix Offline OP
OP Offline
O
What exactly was he playing? It sounded like he was mashing up a bunch of Mozart songs, but I wasn't sure.

Furthermore, what did you think of his playing? It was excellent technically, and perhaps my opinion stems from the camera angle, but it seemed like he was focusing so much on the technical aspect that he forgot about the music.

R
R
was told about this, looked it up on youtube

it was rondo alla turca and the intro to the grieg piano concerto. don't know if he played anything else - he also had to play a dinky keyboard so that probably made it seem that much less musical.

O
oceanix Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Right. I noticed the keyboard when he first went on, but I had forgotten about it since. It seemed like last season when there was a singer/pianist they had a grand. Of course I didn't see the audition, so perhaps "Amadeus" will have a better piano in future rounds.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
He is 16.
Many 16 year olds play what he played. And well.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
L
L
I honestly see nothing special about his performance, or anything that would cause the audience to react the way they did. But then again 99.99% of the audience most likely isn't an audience who has a trained ear or any classical background.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I think it's the costume.. and the little chit chat they had before the actual performance got the crowd going... and they can always edit and do lot of things to make it look like he was winning the audience. I wouldn't be surprised if there were people in the audience who is actually hired to cheer really loud& do other things to get the crow going.

It's possible that for most people in the audience, this is the first time they actually sat down and heard someone play classical music.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Okie...

Not much talent there I think. Nothing special really, except perhaps the whole appeal.

As for musicality, with a DP in such a big space, I wouldn't expect much really... :-/

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hey, with America's Got Talent I could probably imitate Liszt play Volodos's Arrangement of Mozart's Alla Turca and go home a million dollars richer.

Only thing is I'd never have the nerve to show my presence in the music world ever again.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If he started playing in pre-school age, he has probably been playing for more than 10 years, and after 10 years playing Mozart is not so terribly difficult I guess....
Update:
I just listened to him... He doesn't seem to be special to me.
"The most talented act"?

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
and after 10 years playing Mozart is not so terribly difficult I guess....

While I understand your point, Mozart, is incredibly difficult at any age, regardless of how long one has been playing.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

G
G
Here is his audition tape,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElzJ0lXBMg4&feature=channel I'm sure he was nervous playing in front of a large crowd on a small DP.

R
R
i'm pretty sure everybody just cheered because they recognized rondo alla turca.

with the circumstances (amplifier, keyboard, etc), i think it would be really too difficult to tell how good he actually is. though, he only played octaves in the grieg at the end! lame! :P

Last edited by Richter; 06/23/10 11:28 PM.
W
W
I’m quite flabbergasted by the condescending and pretentious tone of many posts in this thread.
A sixteen year old lad has the balls to try and reach out to the masses and get them in touch with classical piano music. From my humble view point here in Cornwall he succeeds in thoroughly entertaining the crowd and does so with great panache and a technically excellent performance in front of millions of people.
I’m not quite sure why many of you have found it so difficult to say anything complementary about his performance.
Perhaps the thought of all those working class people liking classical piano makes you feel insecure. Maybe its jealousy of his ability to entertain a crowd. Maybe feelings of inadequacy that the reaction when most you sit at the key board is people running for the exit, or quietly falling asleep.
Whatever the reasons for the snobbish, condescending and pretentious attitudes displayed by some of the previous posters I would like to say I thoroughly enjoyed his performance, I congratulate him on his showmanship, admire his aims and would quite happily sit through more of his playing. I only wish more 16 year olds had his ability to entertain as much as he does and clearly not take themselves too seriously.

F
F
Originally Posted by Wombat66
I’m quite flabbergasted by the condescending and pretentious tone of many posts in this thread.
A sixteen year old lad has the balls to try and reach out to the masses and get them in touch with classical piano music. From my humble view point here in Cornwall he succeeds in thoroughly entertaining the crowd and does so with great panache and a technically excellent performance in front of millions of people.
I daresay his popularity with the crowd has more to do with the crowd's failings than his successes. He's nothing special.
I’m not quite sure why many of you have found it so difficult to say anything complementary about his performance.Perhaps the thought of all those working class people liking classical piano makes you feel insecure. Maybe its jealousy of his ability to entertain a crowd. Maybe feelings of inadequacy that the reaction when most you sit at the key board is people running for the exit, or quietly falling asleep.
Whatever the reasons for the snobbish, condescending and pretentious attitudes displayed by some of the previous posters I would like to say I thoroughly enjoyed his performance, I congratulate him on his showmanship, admire his aims and would quite happily sit through more of his playing. I only wish more 16 year olds had his ability to entertain as much as he does and clearly not take themselves too seriously.
Plenty of 16-year-olds are better than him. I'm better than him now and I was when I was 16, and I'm sure the same could be said for many others. He's not a skilled enough pianist for a mass-inferiority complex to be a sufficient explanation for the negative reaction here. And as for being jealous of the audience reaction - they cheered because he's a kid and because he played a stock classical piece they recognised. They are not a discerning audience. They do not understand classical music. No pianist in their right mind would be jealous of him for the reaction.
We aren't panning him because we envy him. We aren't panning him because we're snobs (that, by the way, was a particularly obnoxious claim). We're panning him because he's nothing special. Simple as that.
If you want to be one of the dot-brained halfwits applauding at the mediocre, fine. Just don't blame us for not joining you.

Last edited by FunkyLlama; 06/24/10 05:39 PM.
Originally Posted by FunkyLlama
I daresay his popularity with the crowd has more to do with the crowd's failings than his successes. He's nothing special.
I’m not quite sure why many of you have found it so difficult to say anything complementary about his performance.Perhaps the thought of all those working class people liking classical piano makes you feel insecure. Maybe its jealousy of his ability to entertain a crowd. Maybe feelings of inadequacy that the reaction when most you sit at the key board is people running for the exit, or quietly falling asleep.
Plenty of 16-year-olds are better than him. I'm better than him now and I was when I was 16, and I'm sure the same could be said for many others. He's not a skilled enough pianist for a mass-inferiority complex to be a sufficient explanation for the negative reaction here. And as for being jealous of the audience reaction - they cheered because he's a kid and because he played a stock classical piece they recognised. They are not a discerning audience. They do not understand classical music. No pianist in their right mind would be jealous of him for the reaction.
We aren't panning him because we envy him. We aren't panning him because we're snobs (that, by the way, was a particularly obnoxious claim). We're panning him because he's nothing special. Simple as that.
If you want to be one of the dot-brained halfwits applauding at the mediocre, fine. Just don't blame us for not joining you.

Your reply, in my opinion, is spewing of pretentiousness and condescension: "dot-brained halfwits applauding at the mediocre", "I'm better than him now and I was when I was 16" (do you even know him?), "He's nothing special" (come on that is a little harsh).

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by FunkyLlama

You don't really know if he's nothing special, just that his program was nothing special. He played it well, with only one small glitch and he did it in an entertaining fashion.

I didn't think he deserved to be bashed...yet.

F
F
Originally Posted by chopinizmyhomeboy

Your reply, in my opinion, is spewing of pretentiousness and condescension: "dot-brained halfwits applauding at the mediocre", "I'm better than him now and I was when I was 16" (do you even know him?), "He's nothing special" (come on that is a little harsh).
Oh yes, because 'harsh' implies 'pretentious'. For that matter, I wasn't even particularly harsh. Just honest. I didn't even say he was bad - he's just not anywhere near the level at which he should be appearing on national television.
Originally Posted by Damon

You don't really know if he's nothing special, just that his program was nothing special. He played it well, with only one small glitch and he did it in an entertaining fashion.

I didn't think he deserved to be bashed...yet.
Alright, point taken, although why he would deliberately select a program significantly below his abilities is beyond me. Personally I found myself more repulsed than entertained - apparently substituting period clothing for actual musical ability is the way to go.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
America's Got Talent is not the Van Cliburn Competition

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/24/10 06:14 PM.
F
F
The reaction the kid got made that fact plain.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I’m not quite sure why many of you have found it so difficult to say anything complementary about his performance.
Perhaps the thought of all those working class people liking classical piano makes you feel insecure. Maybe its jealousy of his ability to entertain a crowd. Maybe feelings of inadequacy that the reaction when most you sit at the key board is people running for the exit, or quietly falling asleep.

Television shows like "America's Got Talent", and "American Idol", etc., etc. are the epitome of all that is wrong with music today.
Regarding the little mishmash I heard the young man play...Mr. Wombat, do not identify this as one reaching out to the masses in an effort to expose them to classical music; it's not. It's simply a young man using his skill along with a bit of showmanship trying to convince a panel of twits (sorry Howie...I always liked you, but talent judge?) that he's the choice to be made. If you'd like to hear a condescending opinion then I'd be happy to give you one and am thoroughly capable of making the other replies seem "nice". No one here is looking down their collective noses at this young man (though some have come close). Those who assemble here take the piano, the art of playing it, and the music composed for it by some of the greatest musical minds the world has ever known, very seriously. When something one holds passionately close to the heart is thrown into the circus ring, then, by all means, those with a true love for the subject at hand will have their say on the matter.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission