2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 was written by Chopin. Info from wiki gives me "The Nocturnes, Op. 27 are two solo piano pieces composed by Frédéric Chopin and are often regarded as two of the best pieces he ever composed.[1] The piece was composed in 1836[2] and published in 1837. Both nocturnes in this opus are dedicated to Countess d'Appony." Wiki on Op. 27
It's around seven minutes the way I play it. The version is edited and fingered by Rafael Joseffy.
The first section.
The tempo is Larghetto and the signature is C# minor. It starts with the note C# in the bass and creates a wind like motion going up a perfect 5th and then up an octave, down a 5th a perfect 4th another 5th and then back up a 5th, 4th, 5th, (down a) 5th, 4th, 5th. I found this to be one of the key difficulties of the piece is to keep (sempre legato) this bass motion while being pannissimo (pp). It's very important to keep the left hand not raised, but close to the keyboard using the wrist to let your hand stay perpendicular to the keys. Allowing your wrist to pitch at either peak as well as experimenting with the thumb to keep the long streaches before the most bass note legato helps with keeping the flow. It's important to keep the left hand in rhythm and to pronounce (not overshadowing the melody) the 1st beat of the sextuplet.
Then after the first 2 measures from almost a world a way (sotto voce) enters the single note of E setting the minor feel of the song completing the (C# E G#) tonic cord. Then after two beats it trys to enter a major tone with E#/F but the bass denies us peace with the B creating a minor third from the previous peak note (G#). Then as if it breaks through with the first beat of the third measure it's crushed with another minor third on the third beat (F# and A). The F# lingers and fades away as the second beat fourth measure goes E D as 1/8th notes then third beat C# fourth beat B# then back to the tonic on the first beat of the 5th measure completing this harmic minor of C#. Then up an accented perfect 5th as if begging for a E# to fill the void between C# and G#, again at the last moment we are stuck with E completing the minor cord and restarting the melody. This time the entire measure is minor without any hope of being happy. Enters the next measure with E# it gets crushed and we are left stuned by the clash of the B# (4th beat 9th measure) and the diminished 5th in the bass that stays through the next measure (my fingering in the bass goes as such: up 3 2 1 and down 2 1 5 repeat).
Should I take the time to complete this? Does anyone find this useful?

Written on my iPhone.

Last edited by Betsalel; 12/02/09 04:56 AM. Reason: updated info

Please visit, listen and comment smile
YouTube
SoundCloud
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Betsalel,

Any individual poster can only answer for himself or herself, so I think the most important thing is whether you find it to be a valuable exercise. A great many people read this forum without actively participating at all, and it is without question a suitable place for you to post such an analysis. I think it goes without saying that someone, somewhere and at some point in time will find it useful.

I started a thread once for the sole purpose of documenting, along with supporting illustrations, the typographical errors in the Joseffy edition of Chopin's Allegro de Concert published by Schirmer. It went unacknowledged except by BruceD, but it was fun for me and may be helpful one day to someone who's searching for such information.

I once requested an analysis of the harmonic progression of a piece as straightforward as Chopin's Etude Op. 10 No. 1, and found that no one was interested in providing one. Needless to say, I would have been grateful if it had been this Nocturne I had asked about. smile

Even though 27/1 isn't my favorite Nocturne and I would dispute statements in Wikipedia—namely that it's one of the most famous Nocturnes or one of the best pieces (!) written by Chopin—I do find your analysis interesting, and your own interest in the piece is admirable.

Steven

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I enjoy reading analyses of pieces, particularly of those that I know well and play or have played. For my tastes, however, I find a note-by-note analysis such as this one a little bit of over-kill. I can't speak how others will view such a detailed analysis - and other reactions will be interesting to read - but for me a more comprehensive over-view of the Nocturne would be more meaningful. Harmonic analysis is helpful, yes, but I don't think we need to be told what individual notes are played unless there is some relation established to the overall structure or unless some specific reason is given to highlight individual notes in a composition.

I would suggest a reading of some of the analyses of individual Chopin works in Eleanor Bailie's The Pianist's Repertoire : Chopin, A Graded Practical Guide (Kahn and Averill, London, 1998) where a detailed analysis relates to an overal concept of the work, combined with practical performance suggestions.

Taking you at your word and responding to your last two questions : This analysis is too much "trees" and too little "forest" for my interest.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
With sincere respect Betsalel, obviously deep into admiration of Chopin ...
and in particular Nocturne Opus 27-1.

Interesting poetic analysis, describing the work in terms of harmonic intervals ... accurate, but inevitably getting bogged down a mire of words.

“It starts with the note C# in the bass and creates a wind like motion going up a perfect 5th and then up an octave, down a 5th a perfect 4th another 5th and then back up a 5th, 4th, 5th,
(down a) 5th, 4th, 5th” .

It goes without saying that the harmonies reflect the genius of Chopin (par for the course) ... but what is much more to the point is the overall structure ... use of a rippling rhythmic sextuplet LH note pattern (quite tricky) ... provides a regular pulse on which to mount the opening poignant single note RH outline .

But in making an analysis of the LH sextuplets, it can prove useful to list the notes in terms of DEGREES OF MINOR SCALE ... and follow the flow ... here’s how I see the notes to the opening 10 measures.
[Linked Image]

I’m presently fascinated by the D-naturals in LH measures 9 and 10 ... instinctively Chopin chimes in with your 4th and 5th intervals.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by BruceD
I enjoy reading analyses of pieces, particularly of those that I know well and play or have played. For my tastes, however, I find a note-by-note analysis such as this one a little bit of over-kill. I can't speak how others will view such a detailed analysis - and other reactions will be interesting to read - but for me a more comprehensive over-view of the Nocturne would be more meaningful. Harmonic analysis is helpful, yes, but I don't think we need to be told what individual notes are played unless there is some relation established to the overall structure or unless some specific reason is given to highlight individual notes in a composition.

I would suggest a reading of some of the analyses of individual Chopin works in Eleanor Bailie's The Pianist's Repertoire : Chopin, A Graded Practical Guide (Kahn and Averill, London, 1998) where a detailed analysis relates to an overal concept of the work, combined with practical performance suggestions.

Taking you at your word and responding to your last two questions : This analysis is too much "trees" and too little "forest" for my interest.

Regards,

Thanks, I think that I'll write about the forest and then the trees, it helps knowing the overall picture before getting into the details.

YouTube
SoundCloud
OP Offline
Originally Posted by btb
With sincere respect Betsalel, obviously deep into admiration of Chopin ...
and in particular Nocturne Opus 27-1.

Interesting poetic analysis, describing the work in terms of harmonic intervals ... accurate, but inevitably getting bogged down a mire of words.

“It starts with the note C# in the bass and creates a wind like motion going up a perfect 5th and then up an octave, down a 5th a perfect 4th another 5th and then back up a 5th, 4th, 5th,
(down a) 5th, 4th, 5th” .

It goes without saying that the harmonies reflect the genius of Chopin (par for the course) ... but what is much more to the point is the overall structure ... use of a rippling rhythmic sextuplet LH note pattern (quite tricky) ... provides a regular pulse on which to mount the opening poignant single note RH outline .

But in making an analysis of the LH sextuplets, it can prove useful to list the notes in terms of DEGREES OF MINOR SCALE ... and follow the flow ... here’s how I see the notes to the opening 10 measures.
[Linked Image]

I’m presently fascinated by the D-naturals in LH measures 9 and 10 ... instinctively Chopin chimes in with your 4th and 5th intervals.

Where did you get a chart like that?

YouTube
SoundCloud
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The table is merely a patient analysis of each of the LH notes in the first 10 measures of the Chopin Nocturne Opus 27-1.

One of the advantages of developing a MIDI diagram is to see an accurate relationship of the pitch and duration of every note ... and their bonding to the overall shape of music ... a tapestry of sound.

Here’s what a MIDI of the first 20 measures of the Nocturne
27-1 looks like ... note the dual sextuplet ripples to each measure of the LH, surmounted by the single-note outline of the RH ... the result is sheer poetic beauty of form (like the weave of a Persian carpet).

The horizontal lines mark the C octaves ... notice how often the bass keynote C# initiates the LH ripples ... from the diagram it becomes too easy to list the various sextuplet note patterns.

[Linked Image]

OP Offline
Here is a video of me playing the Nocturne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HY53nmUUHg

YouTube
SoundCloud
OP Offline
I uploaded a new video of me playing the nocturne Link.

YouTube
SoundCloud
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by btb
[...]One of the advantages of developing a MIDI diagram is to see an accurate relationship of the pitch and duration of every note ... and their bonding to the overall shape of music ... a tapestry of sound.
[...]

The score tells (shows) me that.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
I think kbk's midi graphs look like graphing calculator screens.

I'd like to see a movie made about one of Chopin's pupils bringing a midi graph to a lesson. How would Chopin react?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/23/10 05:02 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
As I told a musical theory teacher once: cutting open the nightingale's throat to see where the music is coming from, is killing the music...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think kbk's midi graphs look like graphing calculator screens.
btb, not kbk. Not sure either of them would be flattered to be mistaken for the other. smile

Du holde Kunst...
S
S
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
As I told a musical theory teacher once: cutting open the nightingale's throat to see where the music is coming from, is killing the music...

Hm, at least it is killing the bird.
But generally I am on the other side of the fence, as expressed by Feynman here:

Originally Posted by Conner_36
Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 was written by Chopin. Info from wiki gives me "The Nocturnes, Op. 27 are two solo piano pieces composed by Frédéric Chopin and are often regarded as two of the best pieces he ever composed.[1] The piece was composed in 1836[2] and published in 1837. Both nocturnes in this opus are dedicated to Countess d'Appony." Wiki on Op. 27
It's around seven minutes the way I play it. The version is edited and fingered by Rafael Joseffy.
The first section.
The tempo is Larghetto and the signature is C# minor. It starts with the note C# in the bass and creates a wind like motion going up a perfect 5th and then up an octave, down a 5th a perfect 4th another 5th and then back up a 5th, 4th, 5th, (down a) 5th, 4th, 5th. I found this to be one of the key difficulties of the piece is to keep (sempre legato) this bass motion while being pannissimo (pp). It's very important to keep the left hand not raised, but close to the keyboard using the wrist to let your hand stay perpendicular to the keys. Allowing your wrist to pitch at either peak as well as experimenting with the thumb to keep the long streaches before the most bass note legato helps with keeping the flow. It's important to keep the left hand in rhythm and to pronounce (not overshadowing the melody) the 1st beat of the sextuplet.
Then after the first 2 measures from almost a world a way (sotto voce) enters the single note of E setting the minor feel of the song completing the (C# E G#) tonic cord. Then after two beats it trys to enter a major tone with E#/F but the bass denies us peace with the B creating a minor third from the previous peak note (G#). Then as if it breaks through with the first beat of the third measure it's crushed with another minor third on the third beat (F# and A). The F# lingers and fades away as the second beat fourth measure goes E D as 1/8th notes then third beat C# fourth beat B# then back to the tonic on the first beat of the 5th measure completing this harmic minor of C#. Then up an accented perfect 5th as if begging for a E# to fill the void between C# and G#, again at the last moment we are stuck with E completing the minor cord and restarting the melody. This time the entire measure is minor without any hope of being happy. Enters the next measure with E# it gets crushed and we are left stuned by the clash of the B# (4th beat 9th measure) and the diminished 5th in the bass that stays through the next measure (my fingering in the bass goes as such: up 3 2 1 and down 2 1 5 repeat).
Should I take the time to complete this? Does anyone find this useful?

Written on my iPhone.

I found the analysis interesting. However, as mentioned before it is kinda overkill (I got bored with it a little blush). This is an amazing nocturne and, as a matter of fact, I am learning it right now; the middle section is absolutely badazz cool!!! I think an analysis of your emotions or a story (like the one in the introduction of the book) will be more interesting, even if it is overly sentimental grin. I prefer the Mikuli edition of the Nocturnes.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission