2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
cast12 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm planning to return my Privia PX830 for a refund (because its keys are uneven), but I want to order and receive a new piano before I do so. I liked really liked the PX830, but when I went to JR.com to purchase another one, I noticed the Casio AP-220, which was the same price.

Does anyone know about or have experiences with the Casio AP-220? How does its keyboard compare to that of the PX830?

Also, I noticed that the AP-220, unlike the PX830, is not advertised as having an "ivory-touch" keyboard. How important is this feature?

One more thing: I'm not dead set on getting either of these pianos. If there's a better piano for $900 or less, let me know!

V
V
If you look here http://www.privia.eu/global/manuals/euro/ENG_Catalogue_DP_KB_2009.pdf
there is a specs comparison page.

As I understand it the AP and PX are basically the same (at least as far as the keyboard and the samples goes), but the APs come in a spanglier surround.
The 830 is (depending on what you want) the top of the PX range but the 220 is bottom of the AP range. The 830 has better connectivity and bigger speakers. I _suppose_ ivory touch is meant to reduce any plasticy feel of the keys, but if you've got them both in the shop try them out.

Personally, I'm waiting for an order of a 330 to arrive, which has the advantage (to me) of increased portability/less space requirements, and the best connectivity options, which, although not an issue at the moment, is forseeably useful (to me).

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by cast12
One more thing: I'm not dead set on getting either of these pianos. If there's a better piano for $900 or less, let me know!

I think the AP-x20 and thePX-x30 are the same piano but depending on the value of "x" may have different features, like built-in accompaniment or MIDI or textured keys tops.

Moving to Yamaha there is the CP33. It has the Yamaha "GH" key action. I thing the CP33 is now the lowest price piano with GH action. It's easy to get 10% off the sticker price and that would take it below $900. I think any $900 Roland will have their "Alpha" key action and I strongly prefer their non-alpha keys.

If you can got up to $1,200 or $1,300 then many more options open up. Casio seems to dominate the sub $1K range of DPs.

C
cast12 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Does anyone know whether the AP-220 actually does not have ivory-touch keys? I've heard that Casio uses the same keys for all of their pianos, and I wonder whether Casio isn't advertising certain features of its lower-end pianos to encourage people to buy more expensive models.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Why not visit the priviapiano.com website and you should be able to find out if the AP-220 has ivory touch. Barring that your could take a visit to any of the online retailers to look at the product descriptions. The Celviano line is the upgraded line of the Privias. The major difference is these have fancier cabinets with three pedals and in some cases better speakers and amplifiers than the traditional Casio Privias. The PX-830 is essentially a PX-130 with slightly more features and a cabinet. I would think all the Celvianos have ivory touch keys.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 06/22/10 01:53 PM.
U
U
The Celviano AP-220 has a weaker speaker system, only 8 watt versus 20 watt of the Privia 830. The speaker size is the same, though. So you might want to test, if the additional power is really necessary for you.

One obvious difference is that the AP-220 is missing the ivory touch keys that the Privia 830 has.

You may also consider the Kawai CN-23. It should be in the similar price range. Has also a powerful 20 watt speaker system and a new ivory touch keyboard.

Pianos and Service - www.martinwidmannklaviere.de
Piano parts and Accessories - www.pianosupply.de
C
cast12 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
Why not visit the priviapiano.com website and you should be able to find out if the AP-220 has ivory touch. Barring that your could take a visit to any of the online retailers to look at the product descriptions. The Celviano line is the upgraded line of the Privias. The major difference is these have fancier cabinets with three pedals and in some cases better speakers and amplifiers than the traditional Casio Privias. The PX-830 is essentially a PX-130 with slightly more features and a cabinet. I would think all the Celvianos have ivory touch keys.

I've searched online and have found no evidence that the AP-220 pianos have ivory touch keys. This feature is listed for the PX830 as well as for the other Celviano pianos. But I still don't know whether this indicates that the AP-220 lacks ivory touch keys.

J
J

I've searched online and have found no evidence that the AP-220 pianos have ivory touch keys. This feature is listed for the PX830 as well as for the other Celviano pianos. But I still don't know whether this indicates that the AP-220 lacks ivory touch keys.

The AP-220 does NOT have the ivory touch keys. The higher models do.

C
cast12 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by JoeyIsFunny

The AP-220 does NOT have the ivory touch keys. The higher models do.

Hmm...Music and Arts as well as Guitar Center list the AP-220 as having ivory touch keys. False advertising?

J
J
From http://azpianonews.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-updated-casio-celviano-pianos-for.html

"Updated REVIEW May 2010! Casio USA has introduced their latest Celviano 200 & 400 series home cabinet digital pianos called the AP220 & AP420 ... beautiful satin "natural ivory feel" keys in the AP420 which helps with fingertip feel and movement).

I remember watching a video on youtube also where a dealer talked about the only the 400/600 series having the ivory touch.

EDIT: Has anyone attempted to do some sort of light sanding/buffing to non "ivory-feel" keys to smooth out the feel? Would this even work? That glossy plastic always has a sticky feel to it, maybe getting it a little duller would help?

Last edited by JoeyIsFunny; 06/22/10 03:22 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
JoeyIsFunny, with the greatest respect, I would be more inclined to reference the information listed on the manufacturer's international website, rather than the blog of a retail store based in Arizona.

Compare the specifications of the following two pages and it should be clear that the AP-220 keyboard does not feature ivory touch.

http://www.casio.com/products/Musical_Instruments/Celviano_Digital_Pianos/AP-220/
http://www.casio.com/products/Musical_Instruments/Celviano_Digital_Pianos/AP-420/

As for sanding down a plastic keyboard to remove the gloss finish, I wouldn't personally recommend it. I'm not terribly familiar with Casio's ivory touch keys, however I know that the synthetic key surfaces developed by Roland, Kawai, and most likely Yamaha are produced using a composite of different materials. This results in a microscopic porous surface that allows moisture to be absorbed into the keys, aiding finger control. If Casio's technology offers similar properties, I doubt any amount of sanding or buffing on an ordinary gloss finish will reproduce these characteristics.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
J
Originally Posted by Kawai James
JoeyIsFunny, with the greatest respect, I would be more inclined to reference the information listed on the manufacturer's international website, rather than the blog of a retail store based in Arizona.

Compare the specifications of the following two pages and it should be clear that the AP-220 keyboard does not feature ivory touch.

http://www.casio.com/products/Musical_Instruments/Celviano_Digital_Pianos/AP-220/
http://www.casio.com/products/Musical_Instruments/Celviano_Digital_Pianos/AP-420/

As for sanding down a plastic keyboard to remove the gloss finish, I wouldn't personally recommend it. I'm not terribly familiar with Casio's ivory touch keys, however I know that the synthetic key surfaces developed by Roland, Kawai, and most likely Yamaha are produced using a composite of different materials. This results in a microscopic porous surface that allows moisture to be absorbed into the keys, aiding finger control. If Casio's technology offers similar properties, I doubt any amount of sanding or buffing on an ordinary gloss finish will reproduce these characteristics.

Cheers,
James
x

No you are right, but I thought I remembered him saying he had already checked the manufacturers website for the info. I guess I misread! I was just posting a blog/review where someone who had used them was giving info.

I was just posting a blog/review where someone who had used them was giving info.

It should be noted that this particular blog is not written by a consumer, but connected to a company that markets Casio instruments. Theres's absolutely nothing wrong with doing this, however the motivation to write about the instruments obviously differs somewhat.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
To be perfectly clear the AP-220 does NOT have the "Ivory Touch Keys".

You will find this feature on the following models:
Celviano:
AP-420
AP-620
AP-6

Privia:
PX-830
PX-3

-Mike Martin
Casio America, Inc.

V
V
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
To be perfectly clear the AP-220 does NOT have the "Ivory Touch Keys".
You will find this feature on the following models:
Celviano: AP-420 AP-620 AP-6
Privia: PX-830 PX-3
-Mike Martin
Casio America, Inc.

Thank you for that clarification, do you think you could get http://www.celvianopianos.com/products.php?product=ap220 edited, as although the brochure this page links to is clear that page itself certainly seems to suggest it.

Yes, we will get that page updated asap!

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission