2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (clothearednincompo, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
Alkan: Any op.35/op.15/16/1st movement of the sonata, very
good piece!/Chant op.38-1 very, very good piece!!

Alright! Support for the Op. 35's. I've heard some criticism from Alkan fans on the 35's, but I really like them as technical studies. The 1st movement of the Sonata would be good, but wouldn't the second be a little more substantial? Oh well, either would work fine. Personally, although I really like the Sonata, I have a hard time getting my head around it sometimes... It may be an Alkan masterpiece, but it's sort of out there for me.

OP Offline
So I've gone with Medtner... whom my piano teacher, I just found out, loves to death. After some thinking, we've narrowed it down to two pieces - (1) the second Dithyramb (Op. 10 No. 2) and (2) the Op. 20 Fairy Tales, performed as a set (both the B flat minor and B minor "Campanella"). What do you all think is the better option?

Here are the links by the way:

(1) Dithyramb, Op. 10 No. 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjM5oNkUNms

(2) 2 Fairy Tales, Op. 20:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Qez1WB4hQ (No. 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTe39NC3ocQ (No. 2)

Last edited by Enfant Terrible; 06/17/10 04:15 PM.

“My mother had to explain that one couldn't compose a Liszt rhapsody because it was a piece of music that Liszt himself had composed.” ~Sergei Prokofiev
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
That Dithyramb is a heck of a piece, but it sounds a bit self-absorbed to my ears. I like the simplicity of the Fairy Tales.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
edit - oops messed up the composers.

Medtner - how about the C minor concerto??

Last edited by AngelinaPogorelich; 06/18/10 01:18 PM.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich

fantastic piece, ranks among the Rach.s, the cadenza in the 1st mov. is splendid, too few recordings, I have my fav.s, still alive, who is yours?

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J

fantastic piece, ranks among the Rach.s, the cadenza in the 1st mov. is splendid, too few recordings, I have my fav.s, still alive, who is yours?

Shatskes/Svetlanov for me - it's coupled with Svetlanov's Sonata-Reminiscenza which is equally great. Melodiya import only, unfortunately, and an expensive one.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

Shatskes/Svetlanov for me - it's coupled with Svetlanov's Sonata-Reminiscenza which is equally great. Melodiya import only, unfortunately, and an expensive one.

Yes, that is a great one.

www.medtner.org.uk has a free download of Medtner himself playing it, along with some other very interesting recordings.

I just found out at that same site that the complete sonatas are being recorded for Naxos by Paul Stewart. I never would have believed we would have so many Medtner recordings, had you told me several decades ago.

Also, I discovered this rarity on YouTube (actually, once anything is on YouTube, I guess it can't be called a rarity anymore) - a video of Richter playing the Sonata Reminiscenza (thanks, Truecrypt!). It's really a shame Richter didn't do more Medtner - I think this sonata is the only Medtner solo work he played.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Love the Medtner 1st I suppose, though with due respect, I don't feel that some of the more extravagant technical challenges are honestly justified by musical considerations. It sometimes appears that those technical hurdles are there for their own sake. (Particularly when heavy orchestration covers the piano anyway.)

Maybe I am missing something, but in Rachmaninov 2, I never get that sense. There is not a wasted note.

I have the Tozer recordings of the concertos and Hamelin in the sonatas. I've followed them all with score, no reason to believe that they aren't making a good case for this music.

And yet... and yet... whilst I'm constantly in awe of the sheer skill of Medtner's piano writing (and so much of it is embarrassingly difficult!), there's always that lingering suspicion that as a composer he didn't have that much to say. His lack of true inspiration hides behind the complexities.

Jason
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
this could develop into a new thread, but I think some of Medtner's works are amongst the finest 20th century pianopieces ever written. I would like to promote his sonata's op.11/3, op.22, op.25/2 and the Reminiscenza of course, some Skadzky, the 2nd improvisation and all the works called 'Forgotten Melodies', what a vision he had...

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
this could develop into a new thread, but I think some of Medtner's works are amongst the finest 20th century pianopieces ever written.

Good on you for that my mate. I have put my time in with Medtner, all the concertos, all the sonatas with score. I've tried and tried.

I never cease to be amazed at the technical complexities -Medtner's music is awesomely written!- but ultimately it's just that. Medtner lacks that creative 'spark' which makes Rachmaninov so dear to us.

Maybe one day I'll have it sorted out. But not now.

Jason
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
well, as long he won't be 'forgotten' like he named some of his pieces, it's good for me, I happen to like him, but only sometimes, and not all of his output...but he'll stay in my mount O. of good pianocomposers, I'll keep playing him and thus feeding him to the audience, and thus hoping to find fellow-admirers, it's just one of those little things that keep you going. Sorabji can't beat that one...

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Sorabji can't beat that one...

I've generally found more of interest in Sorabji, but then again I've never played Sorabji -or Medtner- so it's all basically about the concert pianists here who call the shots. (Supposedly their 'tastes' are more evolved?)

One could make a case for that -as a practicing church musician I have little patience with conservative Anglicans- so I am probably guilty as charged.

But ultimately Piano World is so much about who can impress with the most intellectual posts, as if a self-congratulatory mastery of the English language conveys an 'extra' understanding of music.

Jason
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I like to think that Medtner combines lyricism with Bach's style of writing and contrapuntal workings, as well as a mastery of the sonata-allegro form. Though I do agree that his stuff rambles; Sviatoslav Richter, in his notebooks and conversations, says that "Medtner...an extremely fine composer [...] he could never bring himself to settle on one variant rather than all the others that were jostling for his attention, in which respect he was the very opposite of a composer like Schubert, for whom only one solution ever seemed possible."

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
the funny thing is that I, for me, am not at all English speaking, yes, we had our training in school, yes, it's the lingua franca of this particular planet, yes, every modern person is supposed to be able to use it in a rudimentary way, but this forum shouldn't at all be about that, I would never blame anyone for using wrong idiom/grammar/spelling, just liking Sorabji/Medtner or so would already endear me , BTW, Sorabji's 2nd Organ Symphony will take place soon here, in Amsterdam, takes only 9 hours I fear...

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
BTW, Sorabji's 2nd Organ Symphony will take place soon here, in Amsterdam, takes only 9 hours I fear...

Wish I could be there. Kevin Bowyer playing? I know him, one of the most incredible people you could ever meet. Almost like Ian Tracey at Liverpool, Chr*st almighty, talk about the talent these blokes have!

I'm ready for my close-up, just put me away. smokin

Jason
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
He is, read his interview in the paper, 2 pages, imagine! and hopefully there will be some people with the guts to sit down and listen..

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I would never blame anyone for using wrong idiom/grammar/spelling

OMG!! This is from somebody who snidely wrote "You were there?" when I formed a sentence poorly, which made it sound like I personally had heard something Chopin said.

And now has started a whole thread about using the wrong word for a piano composition.

Last edited by wr; 06/20/10 12:02 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
[...]

Maybe one day I'll have it sorted out. But not now.

It took me a while to 'get' Medtner, but I am glad I put the effort in now. Just don't ask me to verbalize why... laugh

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wr
I would never blame anyone for using wrong idiom/grammar/spelling

OMG!! This is from somebody who snidely wrote "You were there?" when I formed a sentence poorly, which made it sound like I personally had heard something Chopin said.

And now has started a whole thread about using the wrong word for a piano composition.didn't mean to be mean, sorry!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission