2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
pppat Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by pppat

another take on your story here…

Ok, I read your story and understand where you're coming from, but that's not what happened here. I think my scenario paints the picture a bit closer to home. As I said, though, I do see your point.

smile I thought about asking this before, but forgot. Now your post brings the same question up again:

Are you a moderator at PW? You said something earlier (to Kees I think) that if he would have written (the way he wrote to Ken) to you, he wouldn't be reading your reply.

Then here again, you say "that's not what happened here". Well, to me my scenario is more likely than yours - given that we are just two normal members contemplating this all.

That would of course be different if you're "on the inside", so to speak. Well, are you?

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
[...]

Are you a moderator at PW? You said something earlier (to Kees I think) that if he would have written (the way he wrote to Ken) to you, he wouldn't be reading your reply.
[...]

No one is a moderator unless their username is colored green (moderator; Brendan, Kreisler, Phlebas) or blue (global moderator; BB Player, Ken Knapp).

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

another take on your story here…

Ok, I read your story and understand where you're coming from, but that's not what happened here. I think my scenario paints the picture a bit closer to home. As I said, though, I do see your point.

smile I thought about asking this before, but forgot. Now your post brings the same question up again:

Then here again, you say "that's not what happened here". Well, to me my scenario is more likely than yours - given that we are just two normal members contemplating this all.

That would of course be different if you're "on the inside", so to speak. Well, are you?

No, I'm not a moderator. What I meant in my reply to Kees, was that had he written to me in that manner and I WERE a moderator, then he wouldn't be reading my reply (because he'd have been banned already).
What I meant with "that's not what happened here", is that the scenario you painted adds too much to the picture. It's not that complex.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

J
JBE Offline
J
Since I've allowed myself to get involved here, I feel it necessary to exit this fiasco with a bit of thoughtfulness.

Here's the bottom line.

Someone that you count on for your tuning education has been suspended for breaking the forum rules. Out of frustration you tried to gather a group to your side of the issue to go up against the moderator/owner of PW. I posted some comments that you didn't like and so you attacked me rather vigorously.
Unfortunately, I've allowed myself to get involved in a problem that is really only yours. My mistake. Hurling insults around is not something I enjoy doing.

Good luck. Hopefully you'll get over it in time.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just out of curiosity, are banned and/or suspended members able to read these forums? I know a lot of forums allow you to adjust permissions.

R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Interesting....there have been many insightful and thoughtful ideas and comments shared up to this point.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, and that I think bears bringing up: we as technicians have an obligation, indeed a duty, to advocate for the industry. It is up to us to set the tone, and to elevate the conversation.

While I've learned from Mr. Bremmer's ideas and teachings (and I don't want to pick on Bill here) I think it is overall harmful to our standing as technicians to air THIS type of commentary in public. I'm not sure what alternative there would be, but I'm fairly certain that the general public is not compelled by arguments between advocates of various temprements or for that matter, membership in organizations et al. PW draws thousands of people, some who post, and others who do not and just watch quietly. We are on stage here, and if we are wise, we will step away from this thread and perhaps move back to better offerings.

I'm as guilty as everybody else, of course, but I raise this because we ALL have an advocacy role to play here...and one of us being banned (for whatever reasons) is really also a a black eye to the industry, the organization he represents, and the trade in general.

The only way out, to my mind, is to elevate the conversation, starting now probably, past analysis of analysis, and onto better subject matter.

What do you say?...I deeply respect each and every one of you, but lets get back to work and let this thread drop off the radar.

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
Just out of curiosity, are banned and/or suspended members able to read these forums? I know a lot of forums allow you to adjust permissions.

I think in most cases they can view as a guest. I believe an IP ban may make the forum unreadable, however.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I can read the forum without logging in. Do you mean, Horowitzian, that the forums can tell when I'm reading it even if I'm not logged in? And can keep me from reading it even I'm not logged in? Wow!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
I can read the forum without logging in. Do you mean, Horowitzian, that the forums can tell when I'm reading it even if I'm not logged in? And can keep me from reading it even I'm not logged in? Wow!

Cathy

I believe that's possible since your IP is known even if you are a guest.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'll be darned.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Horowitzian, that is incorrect. It is possible to circumvent an IP address ban.

I have a question Horwitzian...what is the purpose of your small box at the bottom left of your posts, that lists the IP address, the Internet Access gateway, the Operating system and the browser of people reading your posts?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Grandpianoman
Horowitzian, that is incorrect. It is possible to circumvent an IP address ban.

I have a question Horwitzian...what is the purpose of your small box at the bottom left of your posts, that lists the IP address, the Internet Access gateway, the Operating system and the browser of people reading your posts?

Of course, by getting a new one. laugh

Only you can see that stuff. It's a harmless joke. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
LOL...actually, I guess getting a new IP would work, but that is not what I was referring to. smile

Ahhh..I thought so, just was not clear on the purpose.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Grandpianoman
LOL...actually, I guess getting a new IP would work, but that is not what I was referring to. smile

Ahhh..I thought so, just was not clear on the purpose.

Such as?? Please PM if you like. Additionally, some forums allow the administrator to ban a domain name.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chopinist

I doubt anyone could provide a neat, circumscribed definition of "derailing threads." It's the obvious nature of a message board that conversations follow tangents and thoughts get expressed that are extrinsic to the apparent scope of the original topic or question. It's a slippery enough "rule" that it serves to mean whatever a moderator decides it will mean.
Exactly. What is derailing? Does the consistent nonsense and kowtowing that most threads contain count? The supercilious facile middle-of-the-road goes-without-saying platitudes that make up so much of any thread? As for the forum vigilantes...

Last edited by keyboardklutz; 06/14/10 02:54 AM. Reason: left out the word inane.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

No one called you any names, nor did anyone call you a nobody. Let's not get carried away here.

*sigh*

Cmon now. Don't sigh. You know it's true. Not a single person slung a name at you, nor did anyone belittle you by calling you a nobody. If it makes you feel any better, IIIIIIIIII am a nobody regarding Beethoven and as such would never consider changing a dot, or dash that he'd penned. There now, how's that?

stores,

I *sigh* because, once again, you misunderstand me, where I am seeking to be understood! And yet, you make me laugh, because you misunderstand me so terribly! I am at the point of *rolling my eyes*! grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
M
M
Horowitzian

It's not funny. Stop it.

Bechstein C 1890, Rebuilt
Bechstein V 1888, Project
To be perfectly clear - and quite blunt - you do not make the forum, the dedicated participants do. Patrick

wrong.

i can't believe i read this whole thread.

one would think tuners would have equal temperaments.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Bill, like the rest of us, is his own worst enemy,

Of course Mr. Baxter did not act inappropriately. This website is his possession to do with what he chooses.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I'm here because most of the time this is a congenial forum with most of the people willing to respect the rules.

That occurs partly because of the self selection of people who join - but not entirely. It is also largely due to effective moderation.

I've been targeted on other forums where the moderation was ineffective or absent, and that's why I'm no longer there.

In every moderated forum I've experienced, there has been a tendency for certain people to "get away with" more than others because of their obvious knowledge base or professional credentials.

Inevitably they've pushed the envelope. Inevitably they've drawn the newbies into their style.

And if moderators did eventually intervene, there were always howls of rage from the masses who felt the info content justified putting up with the rule violations.

Sorry, it doesn't. It is no harder to transmit information courteously than rudely.

gotta go practice
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission