2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mattardo
Personally, there's too much piano repetoire out there for me to spend my time memorizing it all. I would much rather just play as much as I can, rather than limit myself to what my bad memory can hold hee hee!

Damn Clara Schumann! It's all her fault...
thumb That says it all for me.

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
That she was a dish, that Robert wanted her, could'nt get her, wrote 23 masterpieces before he eventually did, and that we, now, revel in them?

LOL - Great!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Was it her or Liszt?

For the last year or so playing from memory has freaked me out to no end. I think I'm going to steer away to chamber music - I enjoy it so much more. Plus I'm not good enough for solo anyway.

Richter said, it's IMPOSSIBLE to memorize everything, every single detail of so many pieces and get them right all the time. Hence he used a score. And I think he's right! As for interpretation being more free when there's no music - would you say chamber music interpretations are dull? You can still have tons of freedom and not have a heart attack over a memory slip.

Last edited by AngelinaPogorelich; 06/13/10 01:10 PM.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I ran a personal experiment about 4 years ago. I had two performances of the same program about 3 months apart. I played the first recital all from memory, but on the second performance, I played one of the pieces (Bach Eb French Suite) with the score.

I know, it's highly unscientific, but my conclusion was that having the score was different, but not better or worse, easier or harder.

For the past two years, most of my performing activity has been collaborative, so I've been using scores for everything. Using the score is a different skill, and one that needs to be developed, but I don't feel that it's easier. Memorizing can be a bit more time-consuming, but I don't feel that it necessarily results in a better performance. (Nor do I think playing from the score results in a more secure performance - slips can still creep in!)

For a professional soloist, I think playing from memory is important because it's expected, and using the score could distract audiences. (Unless, like Richter, you've established yourself and have reached an age where your memory is not as secure as it once was.) For students, I think it's very important to memorize - it's a wonderful mental exercise with enormous benefits. But for amateur musicians or occasional performers, I don't see a compelling reason to play from memory if using the score makes you feel more comfortable.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich
Was it her or Liszt?

[...]

If I remember correctly - and if the sources were accurate : It was Clara Schumann who really began the idea of performing from memory, while it was Franz Liszt who is given credit for having "invented" the solo piano recital. Before the solo piano recital, most piano performances were part of concerts in which almost everything featured: vocal works, solo instrumental works, orchestral works and concerto movements.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
For a professional soloist, I think playing from memory is important because it's expected, and using the score could distract audiences. (Unless, like Richter, you've established yourself and have reached an age where your memory is not as secure as it once was.)

Richter didn't use a score because he couldn't memorize. He used it because he realized it's impossible to honour every detail a composer has established.

For a professional soloist, I think playing from memory is important because it's expected, and using the score could distract audiences. (Unless, like Richter, you've established yourself and have reached an age where your memory is not as secure as it once was.)

Richter didn't use a score because he couldn't memorize. He used it because he realized it's impossible to honour every detail a composer has established.
Not what it says as the main reason on page 213 of Richter's very recent bio by Rasmussen. It says it was to "free himself of the psychological pressure of playing without the score".

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Really? I think in the enigma he says otherwise. But even then, to free himself of the psychological issues doesn't mean he couldn't memorize.

Really? I think in the enigma he says otherwise. But even then, to free himself of the psychological issues doesn't mean he couldn't memorize.
Yes, not that he couldn't memorize but probably that he didn't want to have the pressure of having memory slips anymore. The book says he had been playing[on and off]without the score for a while but decided to do it on a permanent basis after a particularly disaterous performance on some of the Liszt Transcendental Etudes.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

For a professional soloist, I think playing from memory is important because it's expected, and using the score could distract audiences. (Unless, like Richter, you've established yourself and have reached an age where your memory is not as secure as it once was.) For students, I think it's very important to memorize - it's a wonderful mental exercise with enormous benefits. But for amateur musicians or occasional performers, I don't see a compelling reason to play from memory if using the score makes you feel more comfortable.

Rubinstein once said that an interesting part of going to see Cortot perform was waiting for the inevitable memory lapse. (not an exact quote) Nonetheless, do you think there is a "train wreck" component in performance that increases the thrill for audiences? Do audiences naturally respond to a heightened sense of imminent failure? And does score reading diminish this sense?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Damon
Nonetheless, do you think there is a "train wreck" component in performance that increases the thrill for audiences? Do audiences naturally respond to a heightened sense of imminent failure?

You mean does every concert goer have an inner ice hockey fan?

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jotur
Nonetheless, do you think there is a "train wreck" component in performance that increases the thrill for audiences? Do audiences naturally respond to a heightened sense of imminent failure?

Cathy

Well..Yes! Or Nascar, if you prefer. smile

But not everyone! I'm sure there are still many who attend merely to show their status in life. wink

Last edited by Damon; 06/13/10 03:13 PM. Reason: qualification
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...] do you think there is a "train wreck" component in performance that increases the thrill for audiences? Do audiences naturally respond to a heightened sense of imminent failure? And does score reading diminish this sense?

I can't speak for others, but I know that as an audience member if I sense that there is any threat of memory lapse on the part of the performer it heightens my distraction level and inhibits the pleasure of listening to the performance. I guess that there will always be some who get some kind of thrill to see others wallow in difficulty or fail.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...] do you think there is a "train wreck" component in performance that increases the thrill for audiences? Do audiences naturally respond to a heightened sense of imminent failure? And does score reading diminish this sense?

I can't speak for others, but I know that as an audience member if I sense that there is any threat of memory lapse on the part of the performer it heightens my distraction level and inhibits the pleasure of listening to the performance. I guess that there will always be some who get some kind of thrill to see others wallow in difficulty or fail.

Regards,

But maybe not even on a conscience level, does the sight of a score to a(n) (non-pianist) audience member indicate a sort of "cheating" that lessens the accomplishment?

When it comes to recitals and other public performances, I must admit, I strongly favor playing from memory.

When the score is up and the pages are being turned by the player or a page turner - it lessens the drama and the risk in my opinion.

And I do think the risk of public performance is a big part of its appeal for audiences.

Philip Hotchkiss
Amateur Classical Pianist

Originally Posted by PhilipHotchkiss
And I do think the risk of public performance is a big part of its appeal for audiences.

Absolutely! Even for Texas fans, Texas vs. Baylor isn't nearly as exciting as Texas vs. Oklahoma precisely because they might lose.

The sports analogy only really works for competition performances, though, and I include in that recitals that feel like competition programs. (You know, like when people program the Liszt sonata *and* a Rachmaninoff sonata *and* top it off with late Beethoven. Part of the allure of that kind of program is "can they do it?"

For other performances, the sports analogy doesn't hold. Like last week at our state conference where Brian Ganz programmed Beethoven 109 and a bunch of miscellaneous Chopin. It was the kind of program that would never win a competition or appear at a conservatory or music festival, but it was the kind of program that everyone in the audience LOVED. There was no sport or competition, only the enjoyment of great music.

I think part of the brilliance of Horowitz's programs was that he included both. There was the athletic, sporting heroism of a Liszt Mephisto Waltz or Carmen Fantasy, and there was also the intimate, "let's sit back and enjoy" Mozart sonata. You even see it in his encores: Etincelles and Traumerei, for example.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
Also an aside, I'd say the two approaches I just mentioned can be applied to the same piece. For example, when I watch this performance, I feel like I'm a participant in a conversation about Schumann.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQOi1ehF754

While in this performance of the same piece, I feel more like a spectator watching someone accomplish something - a feeling supported by the artist herself through the "behind-the-scenes" look at the production as she opens the video by telling us about the challenge of getting her material recorded before she moves on to the next round of engagements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0lLtkN47tg

Both are wonderful performances, but they feel completely different.

www.pianoped.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

What you're thinking of is a story that Andrei Gavrilov tells (that I've recounted here before a few times) about a conversation that he and Richter had once.

---------------------------------------------

“you know Andrei there is no such thing as interpretation”. I was looking at him interrogatively waiting continuation, he continued – “You know why I am starting to play with music on the stand? I am starting to play with music because I am getting crazy of trying to remember all the composer’s marks in my music!”.
I said that it is of course almost impossible to memorize every line or point or accent, impossible or one will play a couple of pieces for a life time.
Slava laughed and continued – “yes, yes, and here on the stage we start "interpreting" (it was said with great sarcastic and sardonic smile, Slava was very expressive in his mimic). We start “interpreting” the piece making it far away from what composer wants. We play frustrated ourselves but not the composer”.
At that time Richter was already obsessed with the idea that as soon as he will execute all the composer’s wishes fully punctual he would achieve the direct hit into the heart of any composition and will put to the end “bloody interpretation", the word which he dreamed to eliminate from musicians vocabulary.

---------------------------------------------

The conversation can be found on Gavrilov's site (I don't have the address handy, but have copied and save some things of interest I've found there).

Last edited by stores; 06/13/10 04:27 PM.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur

Cathy

I do!!! GO WINGS!!!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

I attended a recital a few months ago by a former Van Cliburn winner. The final major work on the program was one with which I had a bad performance experience many years ago (a memory slip in the final movement caused me to panic and ruin the performance). Interestingly enough, the Van Cliburn winner had a memory slip in exactly the SAME PLACE in the score - and while he managed to continue it was clear that he was rattled - and his playing was very tenuous from that point on. Many in the audience seemed well aware of what was happening, and the artist received only "polite" applause at the conclusion of the performance. I personally did not get a thrill from watching the well-known gentleman wallow in difficulty. It was like watching a train wreck !! Ultimately, however, I felt a little better about my own unfortunate experience with the piece.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission