2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1454975 06/12/10 04:38 AM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I posted here earlier about making my own lamp but now decided to buy the one shown here. Does anyone here also have this same lamp and could you share your thoughts with me about this lamp. Thanks!

[Linked Image]

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
It looks nice. Is the light bulb for this lamp easily replaceable when burnt out?

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
There are four 15T4 bulbs and they can still be bought everywhere. That thought also crossed my mind but fortunately for me I play occasionally for Philips.

I also thought of waiting for an LED version to be made.

[Linked Image]

P
P
I have 2 of these lamps on my 2 pianos. They are fabulous. Very bright and cover a wide range on the music desk so you can have 4 pages spread across all evenly lit. Really terrific.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
That sounds like a good endorsement to me.

I have a House Of Troy with the balance arm which I am also very happy with. I have a floor lamp next to my piano as well.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by plumpfingers
I have 2 of these lamps on my 2 pianos. They are fabulous. Very bright and cover a wide range on the music desk so you can have 4 pages spread across all evenly lit. Really terrific.

Thanks for removing any slight doubts I might have had.

Does that lamp come with a transformer?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hello Dave,

That is a very nice lamp, beautiful, however we stopped selling it over concerns about its weight. For a clip-on lamp, it is heavy when centered on a music desk + the weight of books...next thing you know, you have a sagging or weakened music desk. On mos pianos, the music desk is multiple pieces. I'm not sure about your N3.

There are smaller LED options from House of Troy, GPLED-7 & a new one, GPTLED-7.

The GPLED-7 is slimline with good lighting, the GPTLED-7 has a standard shade, but actually has better lighting and the bulb is replaceable. These are much lighter weight, so we are comfortable recommending them.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
My one concern regarding the LED version of that lamp, are LED's bright enough to do the trick?

Also, I do not believe the weight of the lamp is an issue for my music rack, either the rack itself or the area underneath supporting it.

I got a plain €10,- desk lamp, works fine for me. smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician
Online Content
I have been using this lamp on my piano for two years and have been extremely happy with it. The only drawback I have experienced, perhaps not unique to this particular clip-on lamp, is that the lamp casts a shadow on the keys. I use a torchiere floor lamp positioned behind the piano bench to fill in and thereby minimize the shadow.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I'm now trying to see if I can buy the equivalent bulbs over here since the lamps made by the House of Troy are for US voltage.

The bulbs included in the lamp (GPXL-617) are four 15T4 and are 115VAC bulbs. Since I don't want to use a 230 to 115 transformer, I'm now seeing if I can buy the equivalent bulb over here (for 230VAC).

I can order the lamp from the US and have it sent to a friend stationed in the US Army who just happens to have an APO address. Without even pricing the same lamp over here, I know there will be an incredible price difference. (Here in Holland there's a 25 percent import tax and a 19 percent VAT.) It pays to be creative when purchasing.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I have this exact lamp and love it. I've had it for several years.

It makes a very even light over the whole page and I don't have to have the whole living room lit up.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Regarding the LED's, most people find the GPLED-7 bright enough, but not as bright as it could be. On the other hand, the GPTLED-7 is easily bright enough because of its different, newer light array. I took photos of them to show people, but my little digital camera just isn't sophisticated enough to deal with the contrast well. Unfortunately, the GPTLED-7's shade isn't as elegant.

The best way I can describe the light from GPLED-7 "slimline" is that the color of the light is a little different than most lamps. In a well-lit room, you can have what I can only describe as a "color-contrast shadow." In a darker or lamp-lit room, the piano lamp excels as a reading light. The halogens and newer LED array are bright enough to not have any problems due to ambient lights.

I agree the owners that the GPXL-617 works great, but the weight becomes an issue over time for many music desks. The LED's are about 1/3 the weight of the GPXL-617.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Sam, I really appreciate your information on all of this. I'll probably go with the GPXL-617 though I really would want to see the GPLED-7 and GPTLED-7 in person. This is getting as complicated as ordering at Starbucks.

Thanks! If I am ever in Atlanta I will stop by and talk with you in person.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
... nothing is as easy as it seems.

Well, could anyone here shed some light (no pun) on the GPLED19-7 House of Troy (LED) grand piano clamp on? This one is 19 inches across but comes with a transformer.

If I buy that one I would have to buy the equivalent transformer for use over here.

Does anyone use that one? Thoughts?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi Dave,

Here are a couple of comments I found when I was looking at this lamp that I thought were helpful.

By House EngineerVerified Buyer from Houston, TX on 7/3/2008
Pros:
Artistic Design, Convenient On/Off, Long Cord
Describe Yourself:
High-End Shopper
Primary use:
Personal
Bottom Line:
Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Comments about House of Troy - GPLED19-7:

The LEDs are mounted to a long circuit board. The circuit board has two plastic pieces that are supposed to hold it in place. The pieces do not work well and would fall out, leaving the board loose where the LEDs extended too far out of the housing and would be visible from the side. Pushing the on/off switch caused the PC board to move in/out almost 1/4 inch. I modified this design by discarding the original gray plastic pieces and applied spot staking with clear RTV to the circuit board in 6 places while the board was held in the proper position.
Before modification I would rate it 2.5
After modification I would rate it at 5.0

and:

May 13, 2010

Juliann Breting R.
Wheeling, WV
piano lamp
3 out of 5 Stars
Quality
Setup
Value
The piano lamp looks very nice on our church's piano. It gives off a fairly bright but somewhat uneven light across the page due to the individual tiny bulbs along the length of the lamp. We will get used to it but not everyone who uses the piano is thrilled....
Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

I ended up with standing balance arm lamp, the mahogany finish that I like pretty well. Casting shadow on the keys is my issue with it.

David

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
.... and applied spot staking with clear RTV ...

I don't understand that comment.

Regarding the on\off switch, if I do buy this model, the lamp will always be on and I'll control the switch (and everything else), remotely.

I mounted an outlet receptacle under the piano and turn everything on and off from there - the piano, the light, and my floor fan.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
my friend who works on electronic equipment tells me this basically means a method of securing the circuit board with clear silicone that cures/sets up at room temperature, to the housing

David

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission