2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There comes a point when you realize the student is not going to get it (because they don't have the right attitude at home) and you give up.

D
OP Offline
D
Er... sorry, are you directing that to me? I'm perfectly willing to adapt my technique, it just seems a bit excessive to constantly focus on it in an unclear way.

Originally Posted by debussyfan
Update: Every lesson is still really focused on technique... A month has passed now, so is that still normal? I don't understand how my technique can be so bad... Also, often the intructions/rationale behind the corrections aren't given in a clear way.

It's normal.

Currently working on Comping and Improvisation
D
OP Offline
D
^ Thanks... How long should I expect all the focus on technique to go on for? A few more months?

It depends on how fast you are able to digest everything.

I switched to a good piano instructor at Grade 7. It took me months to change through intense correction because I accumulated the wrong habits for more than 7 years. Plus my ears were not developed enough to pick up the difference.

Currently working on Comping and Improvisation
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
^ Thanks... How long should I expect all the focus on technique to go on for? A few more months?

Until it is fixed. How long is that? That is like asking "How long is a piece of string?" Each one is different.

Here is another analogy...(yikes!)

Lets say you are an auto mechanic, and work for a dealer who takes in trade a beautiful late model car that has a few minor things wrong, and one major thing. Lets say the major thing is that the transmission slips badly.

Your job is to get the car completely fixed up for resale.

You are going to spend much more time on the transmission than on the other small repairs.

However, to the untrained eye, a person walking by might say, "Gee, that car looks nice, paint is nice, the interior is nice, why are they still working on it?"

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I'm perfectly willing to adapt my technique, it just seems a bit excessive to constantly focus on it in an unclear way.

My question would be "why is it unclear".
You say you are the highest level student your teacher has... I would like to think that if she is trying to help you with something she feels is fundamental to your progress that wouldn't matter - she's taking you back to basics.

If she can't explain clearly THAT'S a problem indeed!
I think you need to speak with her and get clarification.
From what the others have said, (bricks and all smile ) it seems to me that she is probably providing you with very useful corrections - you would be happier if you usnderstood better what you are aiming for and why. That isn't unreasonable.
Children (up to a point) will do things simply because you ask or tell them too. Adults want the whys and wherefores.

I suggest making time during your next lesson to talk about this. Be sure to say that you are willing - but you feel your aren't getting the point and ask for help in understanding what is being asked of you.
Good luck

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Er... sorry, are you directing that to me? I'm perfectly willing to adapt my technique, it just seems a bit excessive to constantly focus on it in an unclear way.
I think what I'm saying is be worried when she stops!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

If you would rather do something else, then have a nice talk with your teacher about it. Personally, I see nothing wrong with focusing on technique for a long period of time.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
There comes a point when you realize the student is not going to get it (because they don't have the right attitude at home) and you give up.

So it's jaw-droppingly rude response without provocation time is it? Well, if that's the case, perhaps it's time for someone to suggest that such giving up generally occurs when it finally becomes clear that the student just doesn't have the god-given talent to progress via hopeless instruction?

Please ignore that stunningly idiotic and disrespectful response. I'd express your concerns to your teacher. Ask if it's possible to strike a balance between the tehnical work and other things.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'll echo what another moderator said in another forum. There are a lot of people on these forums. Not everyone is going to agree, many won't even like each other. That's fine. We can disagree as long as we don't resort to meanness and name calling.

Please disregard the tone of the above post. The author won't be around for a couple of weeks.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by casinitaly

You say you are the highest level student your teacher has... I would like to think that if she is trying to help you with something she feels is fundamental to your progress that wouldn't matter - she's taking you back to basics.

Thanks, the reason I mentioned being the highest level student is that I'd have felt more confident if she had higher level students and probably wouldn't have asked here. The only reason I asked here is because I have no frame of reference. In the lessons she sometimes says 'I didn't learn this until I was 18 [and a con student]' or 'some concert pianists don't do this, but they should', so I was confused about whether the corrections were necessary or a bit ambitious, since I'm only in grade 6.
Anyway, I know now that it's normal, thanks everyone for the advice.

T
T
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Just to offer somewhat of a contrarian viewpoint here: I feel teachers must also assess the intellectual and emotional readiness of the student to focus on just one problem to the exclusion of all others. I have a student, a rather wonderful student at this point, who came to me two years ago with MAJOR, MAJOR problems. One of them was real problems with hand positions, similar to the OPs. It became quite obvious within minutes that he was neither intellectually nor emotionally ready for intense, specific work, so my game plan changed to one of "nudging" him closer and closer to what is necessary, while allowing the reward of working on more repertoire. Had I taken the OPs teacher's approach, I would have lost him at the end of the trial lesson period.

I'm in complete agreement. So much of teaching is being in tune all of the students needs.

Piano Teaching Resources with Personality
www.teachpianotoday.com
http://www.pianogeekweek.com
A
A
My highest-level student is also my student with the worst technique. The reason for this is because she came from somewhere else and has learned some really bad habits. It takes longer to break a habit that has had years to concrete itself and then reteach and concrete the new, correct habit than it takes to teach it correctly in the first place. I've had her for a year and still won't let her do her exam that she wanted to do within six months because she's still not ready. She still has problems with her left hand that I have spent many entire lessons correcting. It's better - much better, in fact, but the root of the problem is still there. I'm so concerned that she's going to injure herself that I've been encouraging her to seek complementary help through Alexander Technique or other options. But that's by the by...

So my point is that it doesn't matter if you're her highest-level student. It's quite likely that you aren't the most advanced. The grade you're at is only an indicator of what grade you're doing right now, not how well you play. I think that your teacher has high standards, wants you to meet them, sees your potential and is continually trying to support you in order to reach those standards, which is excellent pedagogy.

Amos

Facilitator of learning
Lover of pianos and singing
Wannabe singer/songwriter
This is a problem college profs face all the time. So many turn up with bad habits which will take years to eradicate - do you go back to basics? Take away their competency? With only three years to get them through, they don't, they can't.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission