2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
pppat Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mr. Baxter (and to whom it might concern),

I've been informed that Bill Bremmer has been banned from the PW forum. Andy (nickname "Cinnamonbear") told me what has happened, and shared your conversation with me.

Let me put this in another perspective. Please forgive anything that might be due to my Northern European frankness, and just read the best into my words.

You do have a responsibility, probably more so than you think. You run something resembling a democratic forum, yet you seem to resort to making some pretty arbitrary choices.

People contribute. I do, others too. This is what makes your forum worthwhile reading. There should be different opinions, and sometimes we cross the lines. I fear the moment when we fear the moderation of Frank Baxter enough not to speak out.

There should be a balance between sincerity and dedication on one hand, and possible trespasses on the other hand. I have never seen such a dedicated participant as Bill Bremmer, and you banning him hurts me. This, because most of his critics do not contribute at all - they just bring negative energy into the forum, tearing down, trying to take the edge of the sincere joy of others. Is this really what you want?

I doubt you can se the whole picture. Can't, and won't. Yes, your choice is easier. As is getting rid of any annoyances in everyday life. But beware - there will be many yet to come, and are you sure where to draw the line?

As a quite active participant in the politics scene in my country, let me assure you - there is absolutely nothing good coming out of this. Fear, prudence and streamlinedness - this no way to run any public forum worth its place on the net.

The least you can do, if you choose to imperiously ban anyone, is to speak out loud and clear, on the forum. To be perfectly clear - and quite blunt - you do not make the forum, the dedicated participants do. If you choose to ban one of us, please make clear why. That is the least you can do, because behind every 52.000+ member there is someone who deserves due respect.

Regards,
Patrick

Last edited by pppat; 06/11/10 08:41 PM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
P
P
that would be a great loss. What in the world happened?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What?????? crazy

Bill Bremmer's posts here are the only reason I started participating here anyways. No wonder he didn't comment on some recent issue I brought up.

Bill Bremmer's articles on his website and his extensive posts here are the only reason that I am now quite confident I'll be able to pass the RPT exam not too far in the future. More often than not when I google some issue about tuning and temperament I end up with a Bill Bremmer article from this forum.

Apparently no good deed goes unpunished.

Whose bright idea is this, to ban him?? mad

Kees cry

Pianoworld is coming off the bookmark bar.

Schimmel 174T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can't believe it! What happened? Bill's been on here for years. Maybe he's controversial at times, but what's wrong with that? If rubbing some people the wrong way is enough to get banned then there should be many more to follow. Is there a secret police or gestapo we have to worry about now?

I remember "Larry" from years ago. I can't believe Bill deserves the same fate.

Do or do not. There is no try.
A
A
Is this really true? I've learned a lot from Mr. Bremmer. I've really appreciated his contributions. Could someone please verify or deny that he's been banned?

Andrew Ranger
Piano Technician
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Hmmmmm....Bill will be missed. I suppose there is some liability in posting publicly reasons for banning? Bill, we will catch you on the PTG forums.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for your opinions folks, perhaps you'd like the facts before you jump to conclusions.

Here is exactly what I replied to cinnamonbear:
==================================
Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to write.

We do not take banning lightly, nor are the decisions typically made on one incident.
Bill is not permanently banned, only on time-out (at least at this point).
It's unfortunate that he was in the middle of a discussion you found helpful, but that does not excuse flouting the board rules, being outright rude to some members, or sending me a PM that I felt was inappropriate.

The fact that he is knowledgeable and contributes to a number of discussions does not give him free reign to do what he pleases on our forums.

We have had other knowledgeable members in the past who have been permanently banned because they refused to follow the guidelines, and chose to ignore repeated warnings and time-outs.

Running a board this large is not as easy as it looks. We have to balance the desire to educate and entertain against what is considered acceptable behavior by the majority of our 52,000+ members from around the world.

We do the best we can.

Best,
Frank B
========================================
I'm sorry if some of you don't agree with the decision, but it stands.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
OK, quickly before I get banned too for sending an inappropriate PM. Below what I just send Frank by PM.
Kees
----------------------------------------
Dear Frank,

First of all thanks for hosting this forum. As an aspiring piano technician this forum has been about the equivalent of taking an online course in piano technology for me.

As with most forums, 90% of the posts are of course superficial chit-chat. On the technicians corner I would say about half of the remaining 10% posts containing serious information come from Bill Bremmer. He is by far the most prolific technical writer here and his posts are usually so well composed that they are ready to be pasted into a publication or instruction manual.

How you could even consider banning such a distinguished person is beyond my comprehension. I have been participating in online forums for well over 20 years, and there is nothing in Bill's posts that could be a conceivable reason for banning by any standards.

I hope that this is all a mistake, and we will see Bill back shortly. If not there will be many angry and disappointed people besides me, not to mention newcomers that don't know what they will be missing.

Regards,
Kees

pppat Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, I'll verify that this is the exact msg I got forwarded from Andy (AKA Cinnamonbear).

Glad to see this out in the open.

@Frank: What conclusions are there to jump towards? And, just to make it even more clear to the readers of this forum, is this decision your own (as in yours alone), or is there some kind of board? If so, how many of you? Would just hate to see this trailing down to one person alone, influenced by whoever.

Last edited by pppat; 06/11/10 10:16 PM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
pppat Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
And @Frank: excuse me, but if you really want to distinguish your open forum from a real one, look at this line of yours:

"Bill is not permanently banned, only on time-out (at least at this point)."

Again - who decides? You, or others included? What do you decide? Time-out is vague as can be. What would bring this into a permanent ban?

C'mon... pls say that you have thought this through.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Well, I'm certainly not going to second guess anybody; its hard to run a board like this...but all I can say is that I hope this resolves favorably, and includes all of the parties. I've PM's Bill the same thing: I can't say I agree with some of his views (and I've even been on the receiving end once or twice!) but he's still an important part of the greater family of piano technicians, and I've learned from his work.

Goodwill is so important, all around. I hope this resolves soon.

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nothing to resolve. Bill was given one month off the forum. The forum will give him his access back when the time out expires.
It's automatic.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
pppat Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp
Nothing to resolve. Bill was given one month off the forum.

@Ken: by whom?

Last edited by pppat; 06/11/10 10:58 PM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp
Nothing to resolve. Bill was given one month off the forum. The forum will give him his access back when the time out expires.
It's automatic.

Ken

Stupidity has no bounds.

Kees

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Frank Baxter, the owner of Piano World, did the actual banning.

Patrick, Bill is fortunate to have a friend such as you. But I would venture a guess that you've never been on the receiving end of Bill's sarcasm when he decides to go after you.

Nobody gets suspended on here for disagreeing with people. They do get suspended and sometimes banned for name calling and being mean to others.

The issue with Bill was discussed between Frank and the moderators before Bill was banned. About a year ago Bill was warned for the very same behavior. He chose to ignore the warning. That time he also got a month's suspension.

This time Bill was also warned because of his behavior towards another member. He once again chose to ignore the warning. So again he has received a one month suspension. In his response to the warning he even invited us to ban him from the forum.

Had Bill shown even a hint of being sorry about his treatment of another member, you all would be sitting here swapping tuning stories. Instead he decided he'd rather be suspended.

Bill is fortunate. Our policy is usually to permanently ban a person once they have received a warning, ignored it, and then been suspended. But Frank cut him some slack.

Patrick, thanks for your concern. Bill will be back. And none of this occurred without discussion of the matter between Frank Baxter and the moderators.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 06/11/10 11:08 PM.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As much as I am interested in Mr. Bremmers's work, I must agree with PW's decision.

I've been reading this forum a long time, as many techs I suspect do, while never posting.

I wish Mr. Bremmer to take this break with peace and serenity, only to come back more eloquent.

We all have to live difficult situations, there is no perfect temperament.

Good night folks.

Jean

Last edited by accordeur; 06/11/10 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
pppat Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
@Ken: You're right, I've never had to deal with any such from Bill. Maybe because I respect him just the way he is. I like characters, and my musical background might have shaped me this way. I'm not particularly fond of namby-pamby people, I'd rather deal with dedicated, passionate persons.

Still, I think that you've might underestimated the ramifications of the ban. Your #1 visited thread in the tech forum right now (leaving the paging aside) is a direct result of Bill's dedication. Needless to say, his participation is vital. This discussion will in no way wait out an imposed ban, it will find it's own grooves (happening as we speak).

I am truly sorry that this has to take place outside PW and thus constitute a crippling blow to the (up until now) admirable diversity of your site, but you do not leave those of us interested in Bill's tuning philosophy with much of a choice.

I've always been critical of this phenomenon in the "2nd coming of internet" - that is, the social forums. Play democracy, excecute dictatorship. We all have to learn the hard way, and this is your tricky road. Hope you come out alright.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Jerry Groot is the subject of the most visited topic in this area. Nothing else is even close.

Semipro Tech
I've had some good advice via PM's from Bill. Though I've no acquaintance with his forum demeanor and wouldn't question Frank/moderators on this specific incidence I do feel the forum is a weird space. Banning is arbitrary - I've clicked on the site to find myself suspended for something I felt was quite innocuous. The real problem are all the anonymous, unknown to the 'defendant', notifications (intimations of an informer state). Why can't they somehow surface first - to all?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission