2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tickler Offline OP
OP Offline
I keep hearing (e.g., Fine's book, friends, dealers who don't carry Steinways smile ) that Steinways require a lot more maintenance than other brands. Not just regular tunings, not just initial regulation and voicing, but a constant stream of repairs to keep the piano sounding and playing great.

Is this really true? All you Steinway-owners --- what's been your experience?

Thanks.

Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman. -- Beethoven
F
F
Not true......Just Steinway envy!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Certainly not my experience! I've had it regulated and voiced and tuned. That's it.

Sophia

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That's absolutely not true. The comment relates to "prepping" upon purchase. This is because the piano has a larger range to adapt to a user's preference and also the comment applies because of new pianos that are shipped to the dealers unfinished. The dealers finish the piano and get a little extra margin for doing so.

Once it set up to your preferences, it shouldn't be any different than any high quality piano.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
High end players usually require more work to keep their piano in optimal playing condition, Tickler. This may be what was referred to, but it isn't just true for Steinway.

Bosie, Bechstein, Fazie, and Grotrian owners that spent alot for their pianos also spend more on maintenance.

As jazzwee said, many S&S pianos are shipped to dealers unfinished, IOW neeing regulation, voicing, and other issues.

I hope that helps. Good posts all.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by Rich Galassini:
High end players usually require more work to keep their piano in optimal playing condition, Tickler.
Your comments are so true, Rich. But (if I may consider myself a high-end player!) we often require that extra work but can't always afford getting it done! (You should see my and my friends' pianos...kind of like the cobbler's kids' shoes...)
laugh

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
(oops, double post)

Originally posted by tickler:
Is this really true? All you Steinway-owners --- what's been your experience?
My experience with NY S&S is that they seem to come out relatively raw of the factory and that dealers choose not to prep the piano to its potential at the showroom. I asked about voicing at a dealer and they said that it's up to customer preference so they don't do it before purchase. I'm still on the fence about that statement.

Ideally there would be many variations of the same model with all combinations of prep that one could choose from: mellow + light action, mellow + heavier action, bright + light action, bright + medium action, etc... but I bet that's expensive to a dealer and they may end up with unsold pianos due to unpopular voicing. Due to the name and legacy I believe S&S has the luxury of leaving them raw and make their customers voice after purchase without losing sales.

The contradiction to the above logic is Hamburg S&S which I hear preps their pianos nicely before purchase for a consistent recognizable sound. Maybe Europeans know what they want more than Americans. smile

when selling a piano [ss] what would be the ideal prep? is there a more popular "voicing" I'm not a player at all. what would a potential customer prefer? or should it just be tuned?

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Hi birdhead, I had occasion to refer to this on another thread, so it's fresh in my memory. Here is a classic thread from the archives on what constitutes ideal prep for a grand piano.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by chopin952:
The contradiction to the above logic is Hamburg S&S which I hear preps their pianos nicely before purchase for a consistent recognizable sound. Maybe Europeans know what they want more than Americans. smile
I only have a rebuilt so I have no experience with new Hamburgs. But my tech, who does the prepping at the dealer, says that imported Hamburgs also come unfinished, i.e. relating to regulation etc.

However, the Hamburg Renners don't need any juicing and are more consistent so the sound at least is defined.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
It seems to me that people with the so called high end pianos are more exacting in their requirements. They notice it when their piano needs tuning, voicing or regulation. Those who are not piano enthusiasts will let their piano go for years without a tuning much less regulation. Not sure they need voicing you need to play the thing before it needs voicing.

Played my Steinway Grand for 30yrs. with the dreaded Teflon bushings without any major work needed. In the last year or so the Teflon made some of the keys too wobbly for good control. Just got new hammers, action & replaced all the Teflon; ready for another 30!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just bought my second Steinway. Either I am deaf, insensitive, stupid, or all three. Dunno. I bought the first one in 1978 brand new. Never needed anything except tunings....now I have the second one....I keep listening, feeling....sounds great to me....As playliszt above me says the there were some years (I think in the seventies) where they used teflon bushings. I have heard (even from my dealer) to not buy the years with teflon bushings. But I understand if you get a good piano, the teflon bushings can be replaced....(I dunno)

I think I am pretty picky about my piano....okay my lowest B is a little flat.....there. I've said it!

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
WWhat many Steinways suffer from is prima donna syndrome, whereby said owner believes that he is such an artist, that his baby requires constant unending care to yield the best result for his "perfect" performance. THe net result is that the piano eventually throws in the towel from the perpetual attention. Extra tunings yield prematurely loose tuning pins. Hammers get voiced up, then voiced down ad infinitum until they finally don't sound like much of anything that anyone wants to hear. Sometimes the touchweight gets monkeyed with via adding lead or removing lead. The games with prima donna syndrome never end, but the life of the poor piano is shortened, and of course the piano gets blamed for not being...(pick the adjective), for the second-rate wacko that fancies himself the great artist. I watched this happen while in college with one of the faculty members with more money than ability. The technician always had a blank check waiting for him to work his magic. Sadly, this professor owned two really wonderful pianos. One was an astist-preferred Steinway D, the other was a Bosendorfer Imperial. The Steinway D was our favorite, a truly wonderful kick-booty instrument, the kind you dream about owning. The games of course began by increasing the touchweight. It was not enough that this piano was good enough for Rubenstein, or Serkin, that had played it and signed the plate. No!!!! The great prima donna had to increase the touchweight from around 53 grams tapering to 40 grams in the treble. What the heck, just increase it by 10 grams. Now no one wanted to play it! Big surprise!! The poor Bosie, had the hammers needled until it no longer even sounded like a Bosie. Still had a great action, but basically a 9'6" mute Imperial. I rebuilt my first piano around 20 years ago. It is a Knabe D. I have since regulated it a few times, and voiced it likely that many times as well. It could stand for a new set of hammers, shanks and flanges. I played the dickens out of it and enjoyed every minute. Hours a day! Heavy duty Chopin, Scriabin, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikowsky, Beethoven. I harbor no delusions about my ability. I'm a decent player, but no Andre Watts. It hasn't needed any major work during the whole of 20 years. I did have a repetition spring break before a concert once though! The wippens are original circa. mid 1920's. The pins are tight, the action smooth and responsive.One of my tuner friends, accused it of being so powerful that it could peel plaster from my ceiling. I think that pianists need to do an honest assessment of their abilities before blaming the instrument, Steinway or otherwise.
John Pels

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay-my B isn't flat. I didn't want to spend the money on it anyway.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Just to add my highly opinionated and imflamatory 2 cents to the discussion, let me add that in the almost two decades I lived and taught in Germany (1981 - 1999), visiting piano dealers regularly, I never, ever heard an instrument needing "prepping." Not the Steinways, not the Bechsteins, not the Sauters or Seilers, nor the Bosies, nor the Schimmels. This seems to be solely an American phenominum. Shame on us.

My Grotrian 192 came direct from the factory 9 years ago, and as yet, hasn't needed "prepping." It is tuned 3 times a year, and my tech, bless his heart, makes minor adjustments here and there, just like my auto, which gets tune-ups when I go in for servicing.

When friends and colleagues purchased new instruments, they came directly in boxes from the factory, impeccably prepared and ready to go.

IMHO, American dealers ought to be screaming bloody murder at factories that deliver crap to them, and most certainly, never let it sit on a showroom floor in that condition.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
tickler Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the opinions and sharing your experiences. You've convinced me that a Steinway -- new or rebuilt -- won't require any more maintenance than any other brand.

Since a Steinway's on my "short list" to buy, I wanted to know more about what to expect down the road.

Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman. -- Beethoven
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Which model are you considering?

Buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
tickler Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm looking at models in the 6' (give or take) range. My short list right now (in no particular order) is:

New Mason & Hamlin AA
Rebuilt Steinway, models A, L and O

I've played most of the brands I can find locally. The only ones remaining to try are Bluthner and Shigeru Kawai. At this point, I strongly suspect I'm going to end up with the M&H or S&S, but the more pianos I try, the more sure I'll be that I'm making the right choice. That's the theory at least wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission