2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1451214 06/06/10 03:18 AM
V
OP Offline
V
Hello guys. My sister wanted me to play some pieces that are appropriate to weddings( in one year time, so i can practice it well even if its hard). Can you guys help me to list out the appropriate pieces( i am going to play for the reception) ? I am going to play for around 4 hours. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by vladimiroir; 06/06/10 10:31 AM.

currently working on:
Czerny School of Velocity Op 299

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Are you playing for the ceremony as well as the reception ?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

V
OP Offline
V
sorry i forgot to put it up, i am going to play for the reception only

currently working on:
Czerny School of Velocity Op 299
T
T
The Rite of Spring. Then jump up, scream 'Das Opfer!' and pin the blushing bride to the altar with your sacrifical obsidian dagger.

Or, you could go the conventional route. wink

Are you just looking for something suitably innocuous/saccharine, or something written with weddings in mind?

"Nine? Too late."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Are you wanting appropriate classical music? Or are you thinking popular (song types?)

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
F
F
Actually 4 hours is quite long. On the bright side, you have one year.

I suggest actually brushing up on sight reading, and learning how to play by ear.

Popular melodies with a simple accompaniments (e.g. broken chords and inversions) will help to fill most of the time. Buying a book of wedding music and sight reading it is also helpful.

If you are playing for a reception, you also don't actually want to overpower conversation.

As such show pieces are not appropriate (as are pieces that spend too much time playing loudly in the bass and treble regions) - try some waltzes (e.g. Chopin), and schubert impromptus (Op 90 2/3, Op 142 No 3), Mendelssohn songs without words in addition to the above (e.g. playing popular melodies by ear, and interpersing with classical) and you should be able to fill up the time quite nicely.

Schumann-Liszt Widmung/Schubert-Liszt Ave Maria is quite nice if you want to show off...

In progress

Beethoven: Op 109, Op 110
fj_s #1451414 06/06/10 02:40 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
4 hours is way long if you are playing pieces that need a lot of preparation. You might want to check out the "Lets talk weddings" thread in the Pianist Cornet, non Classical. It's got lots of great information and would be useful even if you play mainly classical music.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I agree that 4 hours is ridiculous, both in terms of you having to play that long, and in terms of wedding "flow." I've never been to a wedding where anything but the evening dancing lasted remotely close to 4 hours. In all reality, when your sister plans it in greater detail, she'll realize that the reception will not last much longer than an hour. Preparing enough music for that will be much more reasonable.

MarkH #1451439 06/06/10 03:38 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Wedding traditions, including "receptions" and the definition of "reception" can vary widely from country to country. As Vladimiroir doesn't state where s/he's from, could it be that a reception, there, is indeed four hours long?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
There are a large number of Wedding Anthologies available online at at retail music stores. I'd suggest getting a couple of those.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've played at a ton of receptions and some of them for longer than four hours. Get yourself roughly an hour/hour and a half of music that "corresponds" with the affair. Keep your head up and watch and listen to what's going on around you. After a certain point, trust me, you could play "chopsticks" and not many people will notice. I've played through all the Chopin nocturnes, interspersed with Bach chorales, interspersed with movements from Bach suites, interspersed with George Winston, interspersed with...you get the idea (I once threw in a movement from each Beethoven sonata lol). If you know a lot of popular tunes and are lucky to have a friendly crowd at the reception sometimes they make things easy and give you request after request. Receptions are really a great gig and easy money, but my best bit of advice is...make SURE you get paid!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by BruceD
Wedding traditions, including "receptions" and the definition of "reception" can vary widely from country to country. As Vladimiroir doesn't state where s/he's from, could it be that a reception, there, is indeed four hours long?

Regards,

FYI - on another thread a few weeks back the OP stated that he/she was a "14 year old kid" from Malaysia.

So yes - their wedding traditions may be different than ours - as well as the "popular" music that might be performed. Four hours does seem a bit excessive, however. Perhaps the OP could get by with playing one hour of music four times !!!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #1451578 06/06/10 08:37 PM
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Bring a book of Mozart sonatas and read through them at a casual tempo, all played piano.. take all the repeats, even the ones at the end of the movements. That's easily 2 hours right there. Then no one will remember the early sonatas, so you can probably get through home stretch no problem.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Chopin Nocturnes, Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, Liebestraum, Clair de Lune...idk, too generic? XD

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Skorpius
Chopin Nocturnes, Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, Liebestraum, Clair de Lune...idk, too generic? XD

I think that "Wedding Day at Troldhaugen" and "Liebestraum" are too much solo works demanding - and at times even commanding - audience attention. I don't think that they would be appropriate as background music to a reception.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

Quite right, that was an ethnocentric statement on my part.

Best of luck preparing that much music Vladimiroir!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission