2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Does anyone know whether an update to the Roland FP-7 model is in the works?

I'm unsure when the FP-7 was first released, but it seems like it's been around for a while. The new RD-700GXF also seems to indicate that Roland is updating their stage pianos. I'm thinking of buying an FP-7 but want to wait if a new release is imminent.

Thanks, for this and for all of the great information you've provided on this forum. I'm very grateful.

Daniel

I'm waiting too... grin

You can check Roland's Debut Events list:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/index_event.html

It's obvious that they mostly relase new DPs on Winter NAMM. For past 10 years HP series news were first and next year they've released RD/FP series new models. So let's wait till January 2011.

In case of FP-7 successor I expect PHAII with ivory-like surface and escapement mimic (like today RD700GX) and SuperNatural piano addon. Maybe few minor improvements as bonus confused

Last edited by pesk; 06/06/10 02:50 AM.
B
B
I had the same question because I'm interested in the FP-4. I did some research on their product release dates for the history of the FP-series, and although there was not a lot of consistency, they averaged about every 3-4 years. So 2010 should be the 4th year so I would think a new release should be coming out.

However, your point is well taken- now that they have introduced the RD series, there is some overlap here and it' unclear if they will be sustaining both series or if the RD's are going to be the replacement for the FP's.

It would be GREAT if they released some new FP's that had the same great action, but an even better piano sound for the same price or cheaper

Last edited by blueston; 06/06/10 10:49 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
We need to make a WANTED thread for the next Roland DPs.

Here's my wish list:
- PHA III with escapement, somewhat lighter or less sluggish feeling if possible and without the "ivory feel".
- Move the pitch/mod joystick so it doesn't make the keyboard any longer than it has to be.
- Kitchen sink sample set. I want all the SN stuff they have to date, all the SRX/ARX sounds, plus the harpsichord and pipe organ voices they put in the C-30 / C-230.
- Several distinctly different sounding (Yamaha, Steinway, Bosendorfer, etc.) SN pianos.
- Rational user interface like on the RD700GX.
- Recess the display/knobs/controls so that they aren't easily damaged in transit.
- More sliders so the tonewheel organ can be fully adjusted without switching between banks.
- Make a 76 key version too by chopping off the top octave and leaving the bass end intact.

For that I'd be happy to pay even $5k USD (for the 88 key version).

P
P
Originally Posted by pesk
In case of FP-7 successor I expect PHAII with ivory-like surface and escapement mimic (like today RD700GX) and SuperNatural piano addon. Maybe few minor improvements as bonus confused

I don't think this is the case at all with the action. There will probably be a new sound engine in the next FP7, but the ivory key action with escapement will be completely the domain of the RD700GX and/or whatever comes after it. Giving the FP7 or its successor any ivory keys or escapement will make it difficult to differentiate between the two and erode the value premium put on the RD700 family.

A better thing for Roland to do is to use plastic keys without escapement and PHA-II action, and giving the RD700GX successor the PHA-III with ivory feel and escapement.

RD-700GX + SN Piano Expansion
If you're playing and you know it, wash your hands! If you're playing and you know it, no sanitizer!
If you're playing and you know it, and don't want your keys to show it,
If you're playing and you know it, clip your nails!
Originally Posted by pianodilemma

A better thing for Roland to do is to use plastic keys without escapement and PHA-II action, and giving the RD700GX successor the PHA-III with ivory feel and escapement.

Your point is right. I've checked all specs of new HP-30x line and there is PHAII with escapement without "ivory" in HP-302. So Roland already has keyboard for their "only-one-step-up" upgrade policy. crazy

Then next FP-4 could have PHAII (instead of PHA alpha II) and FP-7 should have PHAII with escapement (instead of PHAII without escapement). There will be no ivory in FP series to keep the difference from RD serie. Both FPs with SN piano upgrade. Maybe there will be no model numbering increase just only other "F" suffix in line. grin

Last edited by pesk; 06/06/10 11:58 AM.
P
P
Originally Posted by pianodilemma

Your point is right. I've checked all specs of new HP-30x line and there is PHAII with escapement without "ivory" in HP-302. So Roland already has keyboard for their "only-one-step-up" upgrade policy. crazy

Then next FP-4 could have PHAII (instead of PHA alpha II) and FP-7 should have PHAII with escapement (instead of PHAII without escapement). There will be no ivory in FP series to keep the difference from RD serie. Both FPs with SN piano upgrade. Maybe there will be no model numbering increase just only other "F" suffix in line. grin

Yeah that could indeed also be the case.

One point in general is that I think DP manufacturers have too many similar products. They really need to cut their product lines down to one common set of hardware per product class and simply sell software upgrades. Less costly from an inventory perspective and less confusing to customers. Even these console home pianos could be simply pieces of furniture purchased for slab-type pianos and put together by dealers or customers if they were clever.

If you're playing and you know it, wash your hands! If you're playing and you know it, no sanitizer!
Hmm, the idea of common set of hardware is nice and reasonable but I think that's exactly what people don't want. They want to be different then the others and difference must be obvious on first sight. They preffer mostly the same guts in different boxes than vice versa. It's not so easy to explain your friends that your instrument is much better (and expensive) when it looks exactly same like theirs. grin Software could be easily stolen, cracked, replicated etc. PC software companies know it very well. Their advantage is market size which DPs haven't. Have a look on accoustic pianos: hundreds of different models but it's still grand...

Last edited by pesk; 06/06/10 01:13 PM.
P
P
Hmm, the idea of common set of hardware is nice and reasonable but I think that's exactly what people don't want. They want to be different then the others and difference must be obvious on first sight. They preffer mostly the same guts in different boxes than vice versa. It's not so easy to explain your friends that your instrument is much better (and expensive) when it looks exactly same like theirs. grin Software could be easily stolen, cracked, replicated etc. PC software companies know it very well. Their advantage is market size which DPs haven't. Have a look on accoustic pianos: hundreds of different models but it's still grand...

I'm talking about each manufacturer, not all manufacturers all together. Each manufacturer should sharpen up their product lineup. The last thing this industry needs is to go to the PC model.

I think they do their business well. Otherwise we should not discuss everyday in threads like: Please, help me, which DP I should buy?!? help
wink

Last edited by pesk; 06/06/10 02:37 PM.
Now even medium priced pianos are very good and may sound great in a song, so manufacturers don't have to rush too much; slight improvement and it sells like new. Time when usual client won't notice difference in sound of cheap and expensive piano is coming, but slowly; it's not what manufacturers want.

Fp-4 has pianos like 700SX had, so successor of FP-4 will have slightly worse version of 700GX piano (or the same). It won't have SN, to make difference between FP-4 and FP-7. Also, you can't add such wonderful piano sound as SN to your cheapest stage piano model smile if you want to sell those more expensive.

But I hope successor of FP-4 will have display like FP-7 has now.

Roland FP-4
P
P
I think they do their business well. Otherwise we should not discuss everyday in threads like: Please, help me, which DP I should buy?!? help
wink

According to the DPBSD and my own experience, the RD700GX with Supernatural expansion.

V
V
I struggled with the same thoughts, but the RD 700GX can be had for only two hundred dollars more than the FP7....at that price point it seemed to me a no brainer BUT, you can start with say a Casio and $200 your way up to several thousand! Anyway the 700GX is on order....should be here in less than 10 days. For me, the keyboard will be fine for now without the expansion cards....as my skill level improves, I will invest in the cards.

Originally Posted by kiedysktos.

Fp-4 has pianos like 700SX had, so successor of FP-4 will have slightly worse version of 700GX piano (or the same). It won't have SN, to make difference between FP-4 and FP-7. Also, you can't add such wonderful piano sound as SN to your cheapest stage piano model smile if you want to sell those more expensive.

Yes FP-4 is their low end in stage piano so they could give it 700GX pianos without SN. It could be similar policy like new RP-201. Display stays probably the same to keep difference from FP-7. LED is enough when Piano Designer is not implemented.

Originally Posted by pianodilemma.

According to the DPBSD and my own experience, the RD700GX with Supernatural expansion.

+1

SuperNatural piano with it's sampled attack and modeled decay is the only one real improvement for last 15 years of romplers with enhanced DSP functions. Dewster's test shows it very clearly.

Only they should implement downloadable samples (like Nord Piano) to have more variability in piano sound.

Sweet dreams... wink

Last edited by pesk; 06/07/10 01:57 AM.
Originally Posted by kiedysktos.

Yes FP-4 is their low end in stage piano so they could give it 700GX pianos without SN. It could be similar policy like new RP-201. Display stays probably the same to keep difference from FP-7. LED is enough when Piano Designer is not implemented.

It's hard to remember numbers of all 77 basic voices... FP-4 has also effects, compressor, digital eq, recording functions with implementing of chord progressions - I wish it had LCD. 300SX had LED, 300GX has LCD. Maybe they'll add 128 x 64 display into 300GX/FP-7 successor, and two lines LCD into FP-4, like 300GX has now. Display, speakers, keyboard and sounds are enough to make difference.

Or there will be new display in 700GX and FP-7 successors, which would be nice.

Roland FP-4
P
P
When they do decide to phase out a model, sometimes this is the best time to buy the pre-existing model. Usually the dealer will place rebates on the model and the brick and mortar stores will sometimes be really aggressive on pricing to get rid of the older models.

If the FP-7 suits your needs (I have it and just love it), then I would consider getting it even if a new model comes out. I bought a Phantom X-8 right before the G-8 came out and it was about $1000 less (new in box) than the price they started at when it first was introduced. I have had really good luck at Sam Ash and Guitar Center getting a new keyboard especially when the model is being upgraded but the new one isn't quite out yet.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission