2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
moonzh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am in Canada and buying 1st piano for my 7 years old boy. I prefer below 3. I know nothing about piano. Can someone please give me some advise? What is difference between those models? I heard some grey market in US, what it is? Is grey market in Canada?

1/ U10A, 1992, $4200
2/ UX1, 1983, $3800
3/ U1A, 1986, $3700

Price are all ~ 4000. Which one is better choice? Appreciate your suggestions.

T
T
Input the serial number into this site to see if it's a made-for-N America model: http://www.yamaha.com/yca/pages/pianos/SerialNumberlookup.aspx

I decided against the grey market options. Didn't want to take the risk of the tuning pins loosening after a year or so, however, there are many people who have good luck with a grey market model.

As far as the models you mention, I can only comment on the UX1...I believe the X designation refers to the bracing on the back. I played a UX3 and it sounded decidedly better than a dozen other non-X models in the store. Of course, I am not an expert, and someone else might say the X means something else on a U1, but when I was looking for a U3, the X referred to the X bracing on the back.

BTW, I bought my U3 for 3k, but it's 34 years old. I had an extensive list of things to look at for assessing it's condition. You'd probably be wise to have a technician check out the one you want to get.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
moonzh,

The U1 was basic 48 inch upright. UX1 had radial backpost, various upgrades. UTen newer model had different scale, upgrades, more time spent on voicing, regulation, etc which have all long disappeared by now especially if pianos have been refurbished.

Take each on individual basis as to sound, touch, and condition, which may not be as linked to age or model designation as one would think, probably more to use and maintenance--price accordingly. Plenty in archives as to gray market without me throwing any fat into the fire. All your dates fit into the correct productions runs for each model . . . always best to check serial numbers against official stats . . .

Mike

M
moonzh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for valuable information. Sales told me that they are all original from Japan directly.

I am leaning to U10A because of it is "newer" (92) than other 2 (mid-80). But, I am not sure about if early-90 quality is better or worse than mid-80

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The UX1 is definitely the superior piano if one was to AB them all as for quality,tone,structural etc. Of course it is condition contingent on all of them. The U10A is the mdl,that replaced the U1A as for domestic distribution in Japan. After 1986ish the U1(s)were not distributed in Japan though Yamaha still manufactured them for the export market as in the USA. The U10A is actually pretty nice piano though structurally it is a bit less built than a U1A. Thinner arms,less substancial case wise whereas that does affect the sound somewhat. The newness factor is the positive tradeoff for the U10A. Good luck!

Last edited by pianobroker; 06/04/10 02:33 AM.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Condition is everything. Two pianos, same model, same age: one has been beat to death in a conservatory or university practice room, the other has been lightly-used in a private residence...

Always hire a qualified tech to inspect a used piano before you buy.

Good luck with finding a nice piano for your son, moonzh.

Clef

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission