Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
138 registered members (AssociateX, aphexdisklavier, ando, AaronSF, Abdol, anotherscott, accordeur, 37 invisible), 1,492 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Roland Fp7 or a RD700GX? #1447284
05/31/10 12:24 PM
05/31/10 12:24 PM
Full time Rv er ...traveling t...
V
volunteer Offline OP
volunteer  Offline OP
V

Full time Rv er ...traveling t...
After reading about some deals on the 700 series, I wonder if anyone has an opinion of the two models? (FP7 vs 700GX) I might add, the Yamaha CP50 seems to have many of the voices and rhythms (with some programming work) so which is the better choice or choices. Down to the wire, ordering this week!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Roland Fp7 or a RD700GX? [Re: volunteer] #1447329
05/31/10 01:26 PM
05/31/10 01:26 PM
P
pianodilemma Offline
pianodilemma  Offline
P

Roland vs. Yamaha, based on the 700GX/FP7 and CP50, the 700GX wins hands-down for the following reasons:

- better key action - subjective, though the keys feel very nice and have escapement simulation vs. plastic w/o escapement on the CP50
- better controller - can change sounds while holding notes without interruption (CP50 stops when you switch), better zone control, mod and pitch bend control vs. only one for CP50, rudimentary drawbars for organs
- expandability - lots of SRX expansion cards including the very nice sounding supernatural pianos
- more sounds to play with - 3 pianos vs. 1 in the CP50

Where the Roland loses to the Yamaha:

- weight/portability - can be important if you're gigging
- warranty/service - Yamaha generally is better from what I've seen, though Roland seems to have been reasonably responsive to issues on the early models
- display = I admit I do like the display in the Yamaha's better

I personally don't think that it's worth spending the money on the FP7 when you can spend a bit more and get the 700GX. FP7 has plastic keytops and no escapement, but is basically the same action.

If you're comparing the CP5 to the 700GX, then it's a bit more dicey, though the CP5 has a non-graded and lighter action. I still give the nod to the RD700GX

If you're comparing the CP50 to the FP7, I would say that it's also tough, though the weight factor would definitely start playing in if you were gigging (and I'd just use a Nord Electro 3 if I really needed portability).

Can't stress enough that you make sure you play all of them to make sure you like the action prior to purchase.

Finally, Guitar Center (if you're near one) has 15% off, so I walked out the door at my local GC with my 700GX for just over $2400.

RD-700GX + SN Piano Expansion
If you're playing and you know it, wash your hands! If you're playing and you know it, no sanitizer!
If you're playing and you know it, and don't want your keys to show it,
If you're playing and you know it, clip your nails!
Re: Roland Fp7 or a RD700GX? [Re: pianodilemma] #1447349
05/31/10 01:57 PM
05/31/10 01:57 PM
The Heart of Screenland
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KurtZ  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

The Heart of Screenland
I'm married to someone who has been servicing yamaha and roland for 27 years. I worked there full time for 10 years and still work one day a week so my viewpoint is up to date. It's a wash as far as access to service is concerned. For a long time Roland had the nod but that has reversed in the last 3 or so years. They're both above average and are way ahead of Korg, Nord (sadly) and Casio. FTR, while I have some issues about Kawai as a company, their access to service is also good.

KZ

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: Roland Fp7 or a RD700GX? [Re: KurtZ] #1448844
06/02/10 02:52 PM
06/02/10 02:52 PM
P
Pedies Offline
Pedies  Offline
P

I have an FP-7 and about a week ago I got an RD700GX. The FP-7 is great. It has a very nice piano sound and the action is decent. They keys feel very plasticky(as they are plastic). The built in speakers are decent. I paid about $1850 for mine about 1.5 years ago and I've been very satisfied.

About 6 months ago, I tried the RD-700GX. I couldn't believe the "depth" of the piano sound. Since that time I have wanted one. I had been searching for a good deal because I didn't want to pay $2500 or so and over time, the prices have come down. At this time, the local Sam Ash has 2 demos going for 2k. I actually picked up their last one that wasn't a demo (new in box) for just under 2k and I've been extremely pleased. I've stopped playing my FP-7. I can't get over how good the "fake" ivory keys feel (which is just a porous plastic) and the feeling of the action in general. I feel like I'm much closer to playing on a real piano with my new Roland and that is why I got it. I couldn't be happier with it.

Re: Roland Fp7 or a RD700GX? [Re: Pedies] #1448855
06/02/10 03:11 PM
06/02/10 03:11 PM
Wallingford,Vt
Mafew J Offline
Mafew J  Offline

Wallingford,Vt
Yeah, agreed! I just got an Rd700GX and it feels so good playing it. The action is like buttah and feels better than any upright and most grand that I've played. Sometimes it's laughable what people are comparing these pianos to, holding them up to 20K piano standards. The piano sounds are quite good, very good compared to others. I found a few weird things like the C6 having this oscillation on the first piano sound. I personally think that the other sounds in it are pretty bad though. I went through them and only felt passionate about 15 of them. The EP's, for some reason, don't grab me that much. But the action makes up for it!

Re: Roland Fp7 or a RD700GX? [Re: volunteer] #1448857
06/02/10 03:18 PM
06/02/10 03:18 PM
Redondo Beach, California
C
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ChrisA  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C

Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted by volunteer
..I wonder if anyone has an opinion of the two models? (FP7 vs 700GX)

Back when the RD700 cost $700 more than the FP7 you'd need to think a little about which to buy. But with the recent price reduction on the RD700GX I don't see how they are able to sell any FP7.

People are talking mostly about the better keys and the sound but also the RD700 has that expansion slot which I think adds a lot of value.

Re: Roland Fp7 or a RD700GX? [Re: ChrisA] #1448887
06/02/10 04:15 PM
06/02/10 04:15 PM
Northern NJ
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dewster  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Northern NJ
I agree, the other voices in the RD-700GX are something of a let-down. I don't want a brand new ROMpler with creaky old sample sets.

I'm waiting for a Roland stage piano with PHA III and SN pianos, and I would really appreciate it if they would toss all of their other best sounds in there too (SN everything please) - no super expensive 64MB (!) expansion cards please. I'd pay $3k easy for that. Buttons or sliders for ALL the organ drawbars wouldn't be too much to ask either, would it? Upgradable / uploadable sample memory would probably be beyond the pale and crossing the line though.

I tried a lowly Casio PX-330 today and it seemed to have the third sensor as I could easily replay a note without damping it first. Anyone else notice that? Quite a bit more agile and realistic than the latest two sensor Korg sitting next to it.

Re: Roland Fp7 or a RD700GX? [Re: dewster] #1449222
06/03/10 02:35 AM
06/03/10 02:35 AM
Czech Republic
pesk Offline
pesk  Offline

Czech Republic
Yes, new PX-x30 series has 3 sensors keyboards. When you release key to the half of key track you can replay note again.

BTW Nord release new Version 5 library for their Nord Piano. Sound demos are interesting. Combination SN technology with downloadable samplesets would be fantastic feature. But then nobody will not need to buy new DP every 1-2 years and vendors will be unhappy grin

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My NU1X is soon here
by iLogic. 07/17/19 04:17 PM
Production Voices 4 pianos $59 Sale
by newer player. 07/17/19 04:11 PM
Kawai CA78 PE vs Kawai CA98 Satin Black
by Romar. 07/17/19 01:33 PM
Tempo Changes in Debussy's Bruyeres
by Dr. Rogers. 07/17/19 01:00 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,047
Posts2,849,268
Members93,905
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission