2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1448431 06/01/10 10:45 PM
L
OP Offline
L
What do you think is one of the main contributing factors as to why the music found in the youtube channel (below) is not more well known amongst pianists?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hexameron

It's frustrating to see it all get buried.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Apropos of a thread I started about composers I'm finding it hard to like, this sounds like an exercise to me. Sorry, that's my honest opinion.

Best regards,

Deborah
L
OP Offline
L
Not making any "exercise". I've had this on my mind for quite awhile actually.

Last edited by lisztonian; 06/01/10 11:03 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lisztonian
Not making any "exercise". I've had this on my mind for quite awhile actually.

I'm pretty they mean the PIECE sounds like an exercise.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by lisztonian
What do you think is one of the main contributing factors as to why the music found in the youtube channel (below) is not more well known amongst pianists?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hexameron

It's frustrating to see it all get buried.

Conformity, for one thing. Lack of curiosity, for another. A lazy assumption that everything of value is already known. Plus, the more central repertoire is already so enormous that it is easy to devote a whole lifetime to it alone without running out of music.

But then there's the issue of the quality of the music itself. Once you get off the beaten track, the quality starts to vary wildly, and unless you are really young, exploring it can begin to seem like a waste of very precious time. Although I think some of the things on that channel are good, I also think a good deal of it isn't really all that interesting except for value as a historical curiosity. Trying to sift through the vast amount of relatively unknown stuff for music that seems worthwhile takes a lot of time and energy. And I am saying that as person who actually does value a lot of music that is not part of the standard rep.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In answer to the OP's question, one reason why the Hexameron pieces haven't "caught on" is they all seem to be very advanced and not too accessible to the average pianist to play or read through...no "Fuer Elise" pieces found there!

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't know that it gets buried. Part of the problem with the music in Hexameron's channel is that it's mostly Soviet-era avant-garde, which was largely unavailable in the West until the end of the cold war. Even now, economic troubles prevent scores and recordings from being easily available here. It's usually available at online retailers, but you can't really browse or try any of it out like you could in a music store.

It's not just Soviet avant-garde, either. I've had trouble finding Tansman, Schwartz, Th. Kirchner and Reinhold, too - and they were on this side of the iron curtain (and Tansman and Schwartz even lived in the US!)

Availability of scores will likely continue to be a problem. As people turn more and more to illegally downloaded scores, there's less and less of an incentive and means for publishers to provide quality editions and wide distribution of these composers' works.

Also, music that challenges the ears often needs a champion. Sorabji would be unknown if not for Habermann and Ogdon. The Godowski etudes wallowed in relative obscurity until Hamelin's landmark recording.

And then there's the fact that there will always be composers who aren't widely played. There's a ton of music by American composers that goes largely unnoticed - Sessions, Adler, L. Kirchner, Ornstein, Rorem, La Montaine, etc... And even when composers DO write music that gets published, it goes largely unnoticed: the music of John Adams, William Bolcom and Lowell Liebermann is current, accessible, and very, very good, but all everybody seems to know is the Graceful Ghost Rag and Gargoyles.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I'd like to just mention Geoffry Madge: he was the first ever to perform the Op.Clav., record the Godowski/Chopin, Reubke, and some Xenakis, by the way, nowadays, with the Hamelins popping up like mushrooms everywhere, people might think, gosh, how original, but even those thoughts aren't, well, original, who revived Roslavets?

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Just today I listened to about 10 lesser known, mostly Russian, composers I had never heard of. Wow, there's so much out there...
Really like some Henselt etudes (probably because it's very much like CHopin).

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
I'd like to just mention Geoffry Madge: he was the first ever to perform the Op.Clav., record the Godowski/Chopin,

I heard the Madge Godowsky/Chopin. Sorry -and with due respect- I found it utterly unlistenable and a total artistic failure. Tempos were pulled about like taffy and at times Madge seemed completely overwhelmed by the demands of the music. If I hadn't heard the Hamelin recording first (though Madge predated Hamelin by some years), I probably would have dumped the Godowsky studies then and there.

Jason
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
it was about date, not quality, and by the way, about the nerve to do it at all, he had/has the guts to do it, and i'm sure his endeavour might just have pulled the trigger for new kids on the block to outdo him, witch they, or should I say HE? did,nevertheless...

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
dolce, there are some older recordings of the Chopin/Godowsky etudes by David Saperton, although I think he only did a few. However, those few recordings could be even more impressive than Hamelin's. wink

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Berezovsky's recordings, while less technically solid and not complete, show quite a lot of passion ad fire...

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
I've heard the Saperton recordings. Was it my imagination or did he seem more comfortable playing the Godowsky dress-ups than the Chopin originals? Nah, can't be...

But possibly it might have been Saperton's example which got Hamelin interested in the first place.

Jason
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
Conformity, for one thing. Lack of curiosity, for another. A lazy assumption that everything of value is already known.

It is lazy indeed smile , and fortunately this assumption is totally wrong. Take Ernesto Nazareth for instance, and I swear I'm not saying this because of nationality matters.

Originally Posted by wr

Plus, the more central repertoire is already so enormous that it is easy to devote a whole lifetime to it alone without running out of music.

OK, but there are some banal/boring/etc pieces people play only because they were written by a great/famous composer. I mean, the composer wrote great pieces and this fact makes people play the other not so great stuff. Specially if the composer were very prolific.

cheers

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
all of this said, I must mention this, as an afterthought: I'm an adventurous one, as a person, as a pianist, so I like the not-so-commercial repertoire of some elder people, I'd like to think that, before the whole Marc André H. thing took off, there were people doing his (well, not so his) stuff, and are now completely overblabla-ed (my lack of anglolingo, sorry...), and their endeavours should be honoured, Smith,
Lewenthal, Madge, fill in the rest of those seekers, aren't we of the same kind?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by al-mahed

OK, but there are some banal/boring/etc pieces people play only because they were written by a great/famous composer. I mean, the composer wrote great pieces and this fact makes people play the other not so great stuff. Specially if the composer were very prolific.

In my eyes, Beethoven was the most consistent composer when it came to good music. Same with Ravel, but he didn't have a large output. Hence they are my two favorites.

But then again, maybe it's the inverse... since they're my two favorites, I find them to be the most consistent. Who know? laugh

You all know that I may like Alkan and all, but even I don't think he's consistent... You really have to acquire a taste to enjoy Le Preux, Scherzo Focoso, or the Grande Sonate. However, I think the Symphony for Solo Piano, Op. 35 Etudes, Concerto da Camara Op. 10 No. 1, and Chant Op. 38a. No. 1 (and some other Chants) are a few of Alkan's works that stand well alongside many standard rep pieces.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
dolce, there are some older recordings of the Chopin/Godowsky etudes by David Saperton, although I think he only did a few. However, those few recordings could be even more impressive than Hamelin's. wink

Bolet had also recorded a group of them. If I remember them correctly, they were played with Bolet's typical high-gloss finish and ease, and it made them sound no more difficult than something like Sinding's Rustles of Spring.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
There is this very obscure composer Paul de Schlözer, who wrote only 2 études, the one in A-flat has been recorded 3 times I think, I remember Jorge Bolet, Eileen Joyce and Stephen Hough, and Geoffrey Tozer played it, but the other étude has never been performed/recorded/played? by anyone, fine piece, difficult double notes, style Moszkovski, more difficult one would say, if it weren't for the rumour he composed them himself and lost them to Schlözer in a card game, haha.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Oh, and forgot to menton Carl Maria von Weber, his 2nd sonata in A-flat is a gem, a 35 minutes long gem...Gilels made a definite recording of it, Brendel played it, Richter did, of course, but nowadays it seems to have lost it's popularity, needs to be revived!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission