2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
I think he played mostly Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and liszt. It seems quite strange to me that a single Romantic composer would appeal so much to someone whose other rep was so strongly centered on the Classical Austrian Germanic music. He seems to have loved Liszt but played almost no other Romantic composers (Chopin, Schumann, Brahms) or Impressionists (Ravel, Debussy.

Of course, one likes what one likes. But I don't think other pianists who play mostly the German-Austrian classical and early Romantic repertoire play(ed) much Liszt. I'm thinking of pianists like Schnabel, Serkin(although I guess he varied more from the Germanic literature than Brendel), Uchida, Fischer, etc.

Thoughts?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/30/10 02:38 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have a recording of Brendel playing Schumann's Fantasiestucke, and another set of fantasy pieces by Schumann that escape me right now...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't find his repertoire strange at all. He certainly is a champion of Liszt and while probably best known for his Beethoven (my personal favorite), he did venture outside of his comfort zone and became closely associated with the Schoenberg Concerto. Believe it, or not, his first recording was of the Prokofiev 5th concerto. He's one of my idols and I'm extremely disappointed that I was never able to hear him live.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
There are videos of Brendel playing Beethoven's Hammerklavier Sonata on Youtube that are impressive, also.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't find Brendel's Liszt repertory strange at all.

If you've ever seen The Art of Piano, I believe it was Sandor that said "we like to classify pianists..." as in, "why do we do that? And what's the use?" A great pianist is a great pianist (queue: someone bringing up Horowitz's Beethoven...)

Also, there's an interview with Uchida on YT where she talks about her "peculiar" repertory, namely Ravel, Messiaen etc.

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
He played Stravinsky's Pétrouchka and Balakirev's Islamey on Vox/Turnabout in the 60's and Mussorgski's Pictures, one wouldn't believe that nowadays, and he played them wonderfully, on record that is, I don't think he ever played them really, i.e. live..

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Brendel has a very fascinating essay on concert repetoire, programs and his views on how to pick a good one, also speaks about concerts and how to 'balance' pieces. He's a very interesting writer, in addition to being a pianist - if you haven't read any of his essays give them a read. It's impossible to agree with everything he says, of course, but he has an extreme talent for putting musical ideas into words.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Here is his strangest.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
He played Stravinsky's Pétrouchka and Balakirev's Islamey on Vox/Turnabout in the 60's and Mussorgski's Pictures, one wouldn't believe that nowadays, and he played them wonderfully, on record that is, I don't think he ever played them really, i.e. live..
Yes, I'm aware of that because there are a few recordings by composers like that on Youtube. But for a long time during his career he seemes to have played almost exclusively the composers I listed.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I think I can understand why he combined the Viennese Classics with Liszt, the KISS must be the missing link, haha, but seriously, in a time when Franz/Ferenc wasn't considered by many to be highbrow music, Alfred Brendel did exacttly the right thing: play him, and play him well!, I think his, Brendel's that is, legacy would be, amongst other things, getting Liszt being taken seriously, a great job!

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Ridicolosamente
Also, there's an interview with Uchida on YT where she talks about her "peculiar" repertory, namely Ravel, Messiaen etc.
Yes, but she says her main rep is the German Austrian Classical rep plus some contemporary.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mattardo
Brendel has a very fascinating essay on concert repetoire, programs and his views on how to pick a good one, also speaks about concerts and how to 'balance' pieces. He's a very interesting writer, in addition to being a pianist - if you haven't read any of his essays give them a read. It's impossible to agree with everything he says, of course, but he has an extreme talent for putting musical ideas into words.

Yes, very true. His essays are excellent. He also writes poetry.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
... for a long time during his career he seemes to have played almost exclusively the composers I listed.

What's your point?

♪ ≠ $

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
I don't find his repertoire strange at all. He certainly is a champion of Liszt and while probably best known for his Beethoven (my personal favorite), he did venture outside of his comfort zone and became closely associated with the Schoenberg Concerto. Believe it, or not, his first recording was of the Prokofiev 5th concerto. He's one of my idols and I'm extremely disappointed that I was never able to hear him live.

I don't know if it is on YouTube still, but I very much enjoyed his filmed & self commentated journey through Liszt's Années de Pelerinnage.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Horowitzian

I don't know if it is on YouTube still, but I very much enjoyed his filmed & self commentated journey through Liszt's Années de Pelerinnage.

I have the DVD and it's excellent.

♪ ≠ $

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Might have to add that to my next Amazon order. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Brendel used to have a pretty wide repertoire but in recent decades he concentrated almost exclusively on Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert and Mozart (whose music, he said, was the hardest of all to play). All performed with great insight.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
and he was so right in just staying where he was most comfortable, like Edwin Fischer, Arthur Schnabel, Wilhelm Kempff and the likes, he'll be regarded as one of those one day.

A
A
Originally Posted by Horowitzian

I have the DVD and it's excellent.

I also enjoy the DVD as well. Highly recommended. The only downside is that his English is hard to understand; just wish that the DVD comes with English subtitle.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
He is not known for his Bach interpretations, and in fact- I think- he has not recorded much Bach, as suggested by PLUS. However I find myself often listening to his Italian Concerto and Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue, I find his playing unusually beautiful and joyous.
I also never saw him live and tried, unsuccessfully, to make it to one of his lectures at Juilliard last year (one was about Schubert and the other about interpretation I believe).

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission